Organizing Freebies

jenrou

With all of the great Freebies in the newletters, I've got quite a stash, and forget what I have. Also am wanting to free up hard drive space. I seldom use them because of this. If some of you could give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to get more serious about scrapping this year.

1. Since so many Freebies echo a kit, do you file them with the kit?

2. Do you sort into catagories, or just do searches for items?

3. Do you keep Freebies on your PC (showing in Picasso, for instance) or keep on a DVD or EHD?

Thanks,

Jean

First of all, when a freebie corresponds with a collection or kit, I store it with that collection instead of in my freebie folder.

Within my freebie folder, I have another folder named FREEBIE PICS. When I download the freebie, I take a little more time to save a picture of the freebie in my FREEBIE PICS folder. This way, I can quickly glance through this folder to find whatever I might be looking for. It is so much easier than opening the folder of each freebie to see what is in it. I click once and scroll down through the pictures of the freebies. The pictures are simple enough that I don’t need to categorize any further.

I store all my Scrap Girls products on 2 separate identical EHDs. After I accumulate a nice size group of products, I back up to DVD anything new that I have downloaded since the last backup. So far this has worked for me. My Scrap Girls collection is getting so large that I wouldn’t be able to find anything if I couldn’t just scroll through the pictures of products.

Jean, I hope this helps. I look forward to hearing what others are doing with their storage that will make things easier and I will be watching this thread. Kathy

Yes, thanks! I'm trying to get more organized. I find myself searching a lot more than scrapping. It takes me a long time to do a layout since I'm still learning, too.

I've been placing the files with their similar collections, too.

(Sorry I posted in the wrong place-fonts.)

Jean

I put my freebies into the collection if I own it. If not, I put them in a general "paper," "embellishment," "Word Art" or "Frame" folder. I use Picassa, so they show up in my searches pretty well. I find that freebies really fill in some gaps in my stash.

I don't have a separate folder for freebies either. If I have the collection it goes with I'll add it to that. Otherwise I've used the file organizing that Ro talks about in her free ebook which you can download here at Scrapgirls. I don't have the link right now, but I'm pretty sure it's on the main page. that system has worked well for me.

I agree with all of your tips. Now to get 'er done. I have a lot of them, and some really good ones that I need to use.

I have Ro's instructions, but I don't think I am that organized. Maybe someday when I can't find anything! I'm almost to that point.

I love hearing how you all organize your files.

Thanks,

Jean

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for this as I too will be re organizing my files (probably this weekend) I have tons of stuff I don't need anymore and I have several files of the same things in different places. Can you say forgetful lol Yes I am, but I am really going to try now not to make a new folder and forget I have it, I really would love to be a better designer and do some hybrid scrapping of my own. I think organization is key to having stuff handy when you need it for a LO or when making kits.

• 5 weeks later...

Now that I'm actually able to scrap some LOs, I've been going through all of my stash, including Freebies, and I have a greater appreciation for the great Freebies our designers give to us! There are some really good ones!

Thank you, Scrapgirl Designers!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived