#1 ladyinblack1964

ladyinblack1964

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi, everybody:

I've got a question about alphas. Let's say I am doing a page and I want a title of "Grandma's 80th Birthday." I open my alpha file. Do I need to drag and drop each letter onto the spread, and then arrange them and resize them individually? Is there an easy way to do this? Is there, say, a way to "type" the words I want?

Wondering if there are any shortcuts on this one.

Thanks!

#2 Becster

Becster

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi! I don't think there is a shortcut, but I'll keep watching here to see if you get any other ideas. :-)

What I do is open up a blank document and drag/drop the letters I need there. Then I rearrange them the way I want them to appear on my finished Layout. If it is good to go, then I merge the letters into one layer, crop it, and then drag that new title art onto my finished LO.

gallery_20128_4545_950.jpg

SG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gif

#3 ladyinblack1964

ladyinblack1964

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I've been Googling, and I'm afraid you're right--no shortcuts! Oh well...thanks for the hint. I will try that.

#4 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,370 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

No, unfortunately alphas don't work the way fonts do. You do need to bring each one in individually. What I often do is just bring the initial letter in, and finish out the word with a font that works well with the alpha. I only use the alphas for titles, so it's not as much work as it might be. If you really love the alpha, you can make a separate document with some words you'd use a lot - it might be easier to size and line them up that way - and then they'd be all ready for future use. Just link the letters for the word you want to use and slide them across (from the layers palette).
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Ro

Ro

Founder

• Design Team
  • 10,434 posts
  • Personal Statement:I'm a geek. I'm a writer. I'm a philosopher. I'm a person of faith. I'm me.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

A trick for resizing them easily is that once you have all of the letters on your layout, select all of the alpha layers by holding down your shift key while you click on each one. Then you can resize them as a group.

Hope that helps!

Life is an adventure of many colors. Enjoy the view.

Visit my gallery
My designs and tutorials in the Scrap Girls Boutique

gallery_3_358_20276.pngButton_Founder.png

#6 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

A trick for resizing them easily is that once you have all of the letters on your layout, select all of the alpha layers by holding down your shift key while you click on each one. Then you can resize them as a group.

Hope that helps!

Yup.. That's what I do.. Then again, I've also used Becky's tip too!

gallery_19549_358_19841.png

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png     WT-Button-copy.gif

#7 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 7,950 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Great tip Gayle about making some frquently used words out of your favorite alphas!!

gallery_8176_229_23474.png

Button_Layout.pngButton_Published.pngWT-Button-copy.gif
SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_Blessed.gif

#8 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

The other method you may find helpful is to copy the PNG sheet of the entire alpha into your workspace. Use the marquee tool to select a letter (and no portion of any other letter) and then press CTRL + J (PC) / CMD + J (Mac). This duplicates that area/letter on a new layer. Once the letter layer is created, you may find it helpful to drag it to another area to keep track of the letters you've selected.

Press CTRL + D to de-select the area. Re-select the PNG sheet layer again in the layers palette, press M for marquee, and repeat for the next letter. When you're done, select all the layers of the individual letters in the layers palette and re-size them as needed. Don't merge them down to one layer or one layer per word until you've gotten the letter to letter placement all tweaked and tuned.

Once you're done, the PNG sheet layer can be removed from the workspace. You may find this technique faster sometimes; back in the day, alphas sometimes came only as sheets. Hope this helps!

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#9 DixieLee

DixieLee

• Members
  • 3,087 posts
  • Personal Statement:I love learning how to scrap and I feel rich because of this opportunity!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

I have not thought of making favorite words out of my alphas and storing them, Cool!!

#10 Becster

Becster

• Members
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I have not thought of making favorite words out of my alphas and storing them, Cool!!

I've done that a few times when making words for a title. I'll save them with the kit as Word Art. :-)

gallery_20128_4545_950.jpg

SG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gif

#11 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 17,955 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

When I'm using letters all from the same collection I highlight all the letters I want to use (in Picasa) and drag them to my layout. Then I can usually highlight all the letter layers and resize them together. After that it's easy to arrange them on my page. To me, that is a time saver.

gallery_15063_3635_42373.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#12 satippetts

satippetts

• Design Team
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

That is a great idea to make frequent words with my favorite alphas and store them as word art so save the hassle every time! Thanks for sharing that.
Shalae Tippetts
Posted Image
Posted Image
MY BLOG

My Newest Products!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 Syndee

Syndee

Pixel Geek

• Design Team
  • 7,734 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

Fun to see everyone's techniques! I do what Ro does and use the hold down the shift key and select the ones I want to resize and move around.

Button_TeamMember.pngSyndee_CT-Blinkie.gif

Click the images below to be taken to the product page :)
   SNU_SSActions_ArtisticPhotoMask_MKTG150. SNU_WatercolorWonderful_Ppr_MKTG150.jpg SNU_JIF6_WatercolorWonderful_MKTG150.jpgSNU_WatercolorWonderland_Ppr_LO150.jpg
My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users