Photoshop File Stuck In My Cd Writing Drive?

fran2

I had some photoshop files I had gotten from Creating Keepsakes Magazine website, and when I went to back up what I was using onto a cd, for some reason it got stuck in there? It says the files is being used by another program or another person? and cannot delete? So until I solve my problem i cannot use the cd writer and back up my files the way I ususally do? i tried rebooting , cutting off the power source of the strip overnight? that has worked in the past? it has been stuck there for 3 days?? HELP!! I need to back up my pages etc?? Can someone help me?? Thank you!

I had a similar situation a long time ago - a cd got stuck in the drive and I couldn't get the drive to open and get the cd out any which way. I ended up having to contact my computer's tech support people who walked me through it - it only took a minute or so. Good luck!

Is your disc stuck in the drive or are you saying that your files are stuck in the "Files waiting to be written to disc" folder? I had the 2nd happen once with XP, and they were in there forever. They refused to be deleted. I wish I could remember how I finally got rid of them. You might be able to use a third party program to burn,like Roxio. I just googled the problem and found several possible solutions for XP or Vista. You might have to try several things before you find one that works. Good luck!

If the disc is physically stuck, depending on the type of drive, you may be able to force the drive to part with it.

You don't say if you or on a Mac or PC. This method will only work with PC's

If your PC is a "tower" and the drive has a drawer that shoots out to load the cd, then look for a very small hole perhaps in the lower front of the drive (either side depending on the make).

If you can see this hole, you will need a paper clip or similar. Unfold the paper clip and push the end of the wire into the hole. This should trip the interlocks on the drawer and release the disc.

This will not work on a "slot" type drive as far as I know.

Hope this helps!

Is your disc stuck in the drive or are you saying that your files are stuck in the "Files waiting to be written to disc" folder? I had the 2nd happen once with XP, and they were in there forever. They refused to be deleted. I wish I could remember how I finally got rid of them. You might be able to use a third party program to burn,like Roxio. I just googled the problem and found several possible solutions for XP or Vista. You might have to try several things before you find one that works. Good luck!

Sorry, my bad?? I forgot to say I have a PC. The cd was not stuck in there at all, it was only the 2 photoshop files that were stuck in there? could not replace them, rename them, drag them anywhere, and would not delete the files , I shut down, rebooted, shut the power strip off overnight? Nothing worked, as a result could not use the cd writer? I have only had this experience w/ photoshop files, but in the past a simple reboot, or overnight shutdown, would then allow me to drag it into the bin or delete it? this went on for 4 days?? finally I kept on trying and finally it let me drag it into the bin? I did manage to saved a copy of it in a PNG file, so I could still use it, and it is fine, no problems? you can still minipulate it in that form also. So incase anyone ever has this happen, know it's safer w/ a PNG file than the photoshop, as sometimes most files are fine, but you never know when you get a touchy file that will wreak havoc??? Now if I only knew how I solved it?? Thank you for all your help everybody! Happy Scrapping!!

Just curious, since you have a PC. Did you try doing a system restore and resetting it back several days before the incident?

No that is another whole deal? I try and keep it simple a little goes a long way w/ this PC// It is quirky, for sure! It's the only PC I have ever heard of that after everyone bugged me to defrag it?? They all said it would free up space, and run better?? NOT! It made it take more space up and ran the same? So like I say less is more, if everything else is OK, then I just concentrate on the task at hand. Unfortunately I know more than most of the people I know, about computers, and the programs I use to create and scrap with?? So other than my comp tech, that is $100.00 an hour?? I had no one to help me?? You guys are great! Thanx for all your replies! Now, I just wish I knew what I did to resolve it? I tried for several days, and then I did something that worked, by then I was so excited to get it to the bin and empty it, that I really don't know how I managed it?? Sorry?? Wish I could tell you all, incase it ever happens to you?? At least it's good to know we have each other to bounce ideas off of! Thanx again!! Disaster deleted!! FINALLY!!

• 7 months later...

Usually when this happens or I get "the file is being used by another user or application" etc, heres what I do, right click on the task bar at the bottom and open the task manager, you should be able to see from there any program that you have open or web page and can close it, even when manually trying to close something doesn't work. Task manager never fails. Hopefully this will solve this issue if anyone else experiences the same thing, Sometimes a program application is still running in the background even when we think we closed it! Computers can be such a headache lol

Wow thanks Dee Kay. I will have to try that. Sometimes when I have been using PSE10 and closed it and I want to remove my 2 EHDs ( Safely remove ) the computer tells me they are still being used by another program. It frustrates me as I know I've closed PSE. In desperation I just remove them hoping no files are lost. This will be a wonderful help. Thankyou. Kay

Archived