My Cs5 Has Been Crashing Alot

bjc

i cant find consistent pattern but cs 5 will crash often ...i have windows 7... it had been fine.... i dont know what is going on..first i noticed if i tried to open something from my ehd into photoshop it would immediately crash..then i tried to open cs 5 first and then bring something into photoshop..then it didnt crash... now when i go to save somthing it crashes and then the layout isnt saved..ugh..any ideas? some new update causing this? what to do?

hey Bobbie, have you given Photoshop enough memory to run, especially with huge scrapbooking files open it needs some good 'memory' to work.

look in Preferences: Performance and look at your memory usage. I have bumped mine up close to the maximum suggested range.

worth a try?

well i will try that but it looks like it is in the suggested range... which is about 2/3 of the bar i see... it just crashed twice on a layout that wasnt big..only a few layers when i went to save it...so i have to try to recreate it again for the third time..this is really frustrating

Where do you have your scratch disk assigned? If you have a drive on your computer that doesn't have too much stuff on it, assign it there. If the drive you have assigned to it is too full, it will crash over and over again. PS needs that empty room to "think". My experience is that the scratch disk assignment is key.

i was trying to use something my dd had sent me from the internet, google image... could it be possible that you cant save cause they dont want you to use their image? is that a possibility? anyone ever hear of that?

Where do you have your scratch disk assigned? If you have a drive on your computer that doesn't have too much stuff on it, assign it there. If the drive you have assigned to it is too full, it will crash over and over again. PS needs that empty room to "think". My experience is that the scratch disk assignment is key.

thanks ro...but i dont know what is a scratch disk? or where to find out about it? lol...

Another possibility - how much space do you have on your hard drive? I recently read that you need to have at least 20% of your hard drive clear for your computer to run well. It needs space to swap things when you save files, open files etc. So, if you've got a 500 GB Hard drive and have more than 350 GB used, that may be why your system keeps shutting down. solution? Move some of your stuff off to an EHD.

Bobbie have you noticed if you are doing anything in particular when it crashes? My CS4 is crashing every time I try to use the text tool --- I learned the hard way to always save before trying to do any journaling. I can open my psd and do my journaling in PSE 6 just fine - so I'm not sure what is going on.

no cant figure out a pattern..ugh... and it was crashing when i went to save so nothing was saved and i had to recreate..it was a simple layout so at least only a few layers to recreate..and then happened again and then was fine... i was thinking maybe if my back blaze is doing a backup at same time???

Archived