Elements Are Too Large?

pammesue

Good Afternoon!

Im a newbie, and cannot for the life of me figure this out. I have spent close to two hours searching the forums for the answer, but I must not be using the right words.

I have a template all opened up...I have all my pictures opened up as well as some digi elements I want to add to the template. Well, I drag the photo onto the template, do the Ctrl G and my pics or elements are HUGE. I go up to free transform, then I try to shrink it....well Its so huge I cant find the edges! I tried to put 10 or 15 percent in the width box, but then sometimes I cant even find the picture at all. I spent 4 hours dragging in 10 elements last nite. Should I resize somewhat before the Ctrl G?

I know there is an easier way, please help me. PSE8

thanks,

Pammy

Gosh, I know what you mean! I don't have a technical answer or the "correct" way to do this, but what I usually do when this happens is grab hold of the photo at the top of the frame and drag that part to the bottom of the frame. Then I go back up to the top and repeat and repeat and repeat until eventually the little sizing box comes into view. Then I can pull it in and resiez the pic.

Like I said - not the most elegant way to do it, but for now hope it helps! :)

And welcome to ScrapGirls! :)

First, what size pages are you using? The only time I have that happen is when I'm doing a small (like 4x6) page. Otherwise, the things I drag in generally fit on the page. If you're creating a larger (12 x 12 or 8.5 x 11) pages, check to make sure they are 300 pixels per inch. If your resolution is low, the embellishments will seem too big for the page.

You mean I have to resize my pics and embellies to 300 px before I use them? I was making a facebook timeline photo collage.

Im not sure what the template resolution is. Ill check on that tonight.

Yeah I got sick of dragging the corners 25 times to get it resized. I know there is a better way.

First, what size pages are you using? The only time I have that happen is when I'm doing a small (like 4x6) page. Otherwise, the things I drag in generally fit on the page. If you're creating a larger (12 x 12 or 8.5 x 11) pages, check to make sure they are 300 pixels per inch. If your resolution is low, the embellishments will seem too big for the page.

All the items sold at Scrap Girls come at 300 pixels per inch, so you shouldn't have to re-size those. And when you insert a photo, it will automatically convert to 300 pixels per inch as long as the document was created in that size.

It's generally easier to create the document at 300 pixels, save it, and then resize it to post, if you have to post it at 72 pixels per inch.

You mean I have to resize my pics and embellies to 300 px before I use them? I was making a facebook timeline photo collage.

Im not sure what the template resolution is. Ill check on that tonight.

Yeah I got sick of dragging the corners 25 times to get it resized. I know there is a better way.

All the embellishments come at 300 pixels per inch because they are sized for printing. Anything you're doing for the web will be at a much smaller resolution. I would either create the image at 300 dpi like Gayle mentioned, or re-size things before I drag them in.

Well I just checked and the template says its 72 pixels. The template is small though(850x315), gonna try a 12x12 and see if that changes anything.

I know that my photos are huge files, but I surely dont have to resize them before I drag them in?

Yep the scrapgirls ones are working good. This one was a specific facebook timeline template. Are there any timeline templates for sale here...Off to search. Thanks!

It's the 72 dpi that's giving you the problem, not the size of the canvas. All of Scrap Girls templates are sold at 300 dpi, which is print quality.

Yep the scrapgirls ones are working good. This one was a specific facebook timeline template. Are there any timeline templates for sale here...Off to search. Thanks!

It's the 72 dpi that's giving you the problem, not the size of the canvas. All of Scrap Girls templates are sold at 300 dpi, which is print quality.

Melanie just put one in the store today! ScrapSimple Timeline Cover Templates: Basic

Welcome, Pammy! My trick when I bring in a high-resolution (and therefore "gynormous") photo is to Zoom OUT on the whole layout until the edges of the photo/object are visible. Your layout might look relatively tiny at that point. Then just select the corner sizing handle of the photo/object, and drag it smaller until it's manageable. Then zoom back in to see everything at a reasonable magnification. Quick and easy.

My trick is to CTRL 0 (zero). This makes everything fit on your work space. Thanks to Ann Mansfield for this tip. It pays to take classes.

OMG thanks so much to all of you ladies. Now I wont have to spend HOURS on resizing, just deciding what to add.

:thankyou:

My trick is to CTRL 0 (zero). This makes everything fit on your work space. Thanks to Ann Mansfield for this tip. It pays to take classes.

Thank you, Belle! I know _some_ keyboard shortcuts for Photoshop, but I clearly need to learn more of them!

This reminds me of a great list that Belle posted a while back: Short Cuts Cheat Sheet Thanks again Belle! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Hey - I just thought of a good solution for you.

Get the supplies that you want to use, change the file size so that it is 72dpi and then drop it over to your template. Make sure you don't save the original file with the new file size. Just close it up without saving.

It ought to work great for you.

Archived