Canon 50 Mm Lens Question

michgirl

Recently I upgraded my Canon Rebel camera to the full-frame 5d Mark II. I love this camera and did purchase the 24-105mm lens with it, which I also love. But I prefer primes for indoor use; the ones I have are - the 28mm f/1.8, the 50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8. I do not like the 28mm on my new camera, it is just too wide and I find myself getting too close, which causes distortion. I love the 85mm, but it not quite wide enough to use for quick snapshots. For a full frame, the 50mm seems perfect. However, I just own the 'nifty fifty', which has been a faithful little lens for me - I just don't like using it on the 5d, it seems almost 'too cheap' to use.

So I have been considering upgrading this lens - I am looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.4 or the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. For those that have either of these lens, how do you think they compare to the 50mm f/1.8? Are they worthy of the extra money? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! What are others using for indoor primes?

THanks so much.

i have the 1.4 and was thinking of the 1.2 but i heard that it takes some getting used to to really get the focus...not sure if that is true...but will be interested to see what others have to say and if anyone has the 1.2

i love using the 1.4 ...use for portraits of dgs... and love the wide open ...usually shoot at about 3.2 as i think that is the lens sweet spot...

Thanks for sharing that - I have looked at the 50mm f/1.2, but YIKES on the price. I have thought about selling my primes to raise funds for that and it is still a consideration. That might be the route I should go...

More to consider :dunno:

Sandi -

You will find with the full frame the FL looks way different that with a crop. Whereas the 28mm was my perfect prime on the 500D, I can't get use to it on the full frame. My preference for the full frame is the 50mm, but maybe I just need to get over it and use the nifty fifty. It does have great sharpness and good contrast and color. Too many things to decide....

Can't wait to hear how you like it. I have the nifty fifty too... so keep us posted!

I sure will! I have always liked the 50 f/1.8, but I now have the 85mm f/1.8 and love it. Hoping the 50 mm 1.4 is a closer match.

Archived