Light Room 4

SandiC.

LR 4 is now available and there is a 30 trial for free. The new book module seems nice for those who make photo books (it goes to Blurb) and some of the adjustment controls are really improved. There is also more video adjustments, but can't tell you anything about those. There are several sites, including Adobe, with instructional materials available. And some of the sites have free presets.

Sandi, you are always so on top of things! Thank you for sharing this - I have not yet gotten Lightroom but it's on my list of things to get!

I know about how those list things work Sara. I have lists too. I've downloaded the trial version and give it a whirl for a month before I take the plunge. I did like what I saw in the LR 4Beta version.

Oh yeah, and CS6 is coming. I'm going to pass that one by for now. I'm still trying to get up to speed on CS5. LOL Adobe keeps coming out with new stuff.

Sandi, you are always so on top of things! Thank you for sharing this - I have not yet gotten Lightroom but it's on my list of things to get!

I know about how those list things work Sara. I have lists too. I've downloaded the trial version and give it a whirl for a month before I take the plunge. I did like what I saw in the LR 4Beta version.

Oh yeah, and CS6 is coming. I'm going to pass that one by for now. I'm still trying to get up to speed on CS5. LOL Adobe keeps coming out with new stuff.

Thanks, Sandi - I'm going to hold off on CS6 too - my wallet just won't keep up with these upgrades and I'm still learning CS5 too!

Well I preordered Lightroom 4 from Amazon today. Been using BETA 4 and do like the improvements. There are a couple of new tools in CS6 that might be just too good to pass on... :hit-head-with-hammer:

I often feel like I'm in the dark ages when it comes to software upgrades. I usually skip two or three versions before finally making the plunge to upgrade!

• 1 month later...

would love some feedback from anyone who has upgraded to LR4 ..i have 3 and havent done the upgrade and not sure if i will...did all your presets still work ok? anything you can tell us..thanks

would love some feedback from anyone who has upgraded to LR4 ..i have 3 and haven't done the upgrade and not sure if i will...did all your presets still work ok? anything you can tell us..thanks

From what I heard in the presentation when it was introduced, LR 4's sliders changed so the old presets wouldn't give the same effect. I still use an XP operating system and the new version won't work on it.

Sometimes you can load software that is designed for Vista/Win 7 on XP to see if it will work. We did that with another software and it worked just fine.... but this one does an OS check and won't load it.

I am planning to upgrade to CS6. I am still using CS4 and usually upgrade every other version.

• 3 weeks later...

I just downloaded the trial version as well.........I'm secretly hoping that they include it with the 'Adobe Cloud' package - for those that wanna upgrade to CS6 but can't afford it - check into the monthly subscription for the cloud - it's amazing - a discount for those that already have CSX too :)

ANYHOW - does anyone feel like sharing their KEYWORD file list??????

• 2 weeks later...

can someone tell me specifically what the new features would be if i were to upgrade to LR4 ...i presently have LR3... want to know if it is worth it...also i have a bunch of presets i have bought and wondering if they will work with LR4...thanks for your input

Bobbie, the biggest change that I notice is the basic sliders and the book-making capability. They've really tweaked the sliders, they all start at the zero point and now they are more appropriately divided up into highlights, mid tones, shadows, etc. Julianne Kost has a great "new features" video on her blog and on the adobe site too. Its worth the time to check it out. And no, most old presets don't work because the program works differently. Not a problem, for me, most of my processing is done on individual photos and is custom. Also the ability to lay out a photo book in the program is a tremendous one. Right now it links directly to Blurb which I like and use, but you'd have to export it and then send to another company if you aren't using blurb. Go check out Kost's blog and her videos and see what you think. LR3 is good and these programs are usually good for a couple of upgrades.

sandi...did you upgrade to LR 4 ? and what about to cs6? if you only do one would you do lightroom or ps?

LOL Bobbie, you know me too well. Yes I upgraded and I think LR4 has the best changes so if only doing one that's the one I'd do. But neither one is really earth-shaking, nice but not really absolutely necessary. And if you have presets you use all the time and just love stick with LR3. If you had LR2 still, I'd definitely upgrade. All these bells and whistles are nice and every version is better, but do you really need it? I'm starting to move into art prints and so I think I can use these changes. When a photo is 13x19, the details matter. Anything 8x10 or less maybe doesn't need this. I'm getting pickier as my ideas about what I want grow. But even with all that, its more than I really need. Its my own little indulgences. I don't buy a lot of shoes or designer bags or entertain or go out much, so I indulge in new programs, cameras and computers. LOL.

sandi...did you upgrade to LR 4 ? and what about to cs6? if you only do one would you do lightroom or ps?

LOL Bobbie, you know me too well. Yes I upgraded and I think LR4 has the best changes so if only doing one that's the one I'd do. But neither one is really earth-shaking, nice but not really absolutely necessary. And if you have presets you use all the time and just love stick with LR3. If you had LR2 still, I'd definitely upgrade. All these bells and whistles are nice and every version is better, but do you really need it? I'm starting to move into art prints and so I think I can use these changes. When a photo is 13x19, the details matter. Anything 8x10 or less maybe doesn't need this. I'm getting pickier as my ideas about what I want grow. But even with all that, its more than I really need. Its my own little indulgences. I don't buy a lot of shoes or designer bags or entertain or go out much, so I indulge in new programs, cameras and computers. LOL.

thanks sandi...and i think maybe i will just sit this upgrade out... too many things i never get to do and with each upgrade then you have to take time to do that and learn some new tricks..i have been sticking to my layouts and trying trying trying to learn more photography...though i am not sure i am getting better..may be learning more and getting worse..lol..or just more critical of me now

thanks for your thoughts ..i value them

Archived