Help With Snu Quick Collage Template

Victoria TX

I recently purchased the Syndee Nickles Quick Collage and Quick Collage 2 templates.

SNU_Quick_Collage_2

This is my first attempt at using a template like this vs. the paper templates where I simply colorized the paper. I'm trying to do the heart template, but don't understand how to get the photos to properly interact with the template. I read the .pdf file on using paper templates and was able to color the background, then do Ctrl-E (Windows 7) to make that a single layer. It seems like I should be able to maybe use a clipping mask (new to those, but have used them successfully a handful of times before) to make the photos conform to the shape of the template, but when I put the photo in the layer on top of the template and do Ctrl-G, the photo goes behind the template. And the template obviously has space for multiple photos. I'm very confused.

I've purchased both of Ro's Secrets videos, but as I look through the list of files, I don't even know which video to watch. Can someone help direct me to the correct tutorial?

Thanks!

Victoria

I haven't used that particular template, but I have used one with a number of openings, and it was possible to do the clipping mask thing for each photo. They just all piled on top of each other in the layers palette. I had to do the Control G on each photo as I brought it in. The one I used had more space in between the photo slots, so it wasn't difficult to keep the photos from overlapping. I did end up erasing some edges where they extended into another slot.

I recently purchased the Syndee Nickles Quick Collage and Quick Collage 2 templates.

SNU_Quick_Collage_2

This is my first attempt at using a template like this vs. the paper templates where I simply colorized the paper. I'm trying to do the heart template, but don't understand how to get the photos to properly interact with the template. I read the .pdf file on using paper templates and was able to color the background, then do Ctrl-E (Windows 7) to make that a single layer. It seems like I should be able to maybe use a clipping mask (new to those, but have used them successfully a handful of times before) to make the photos conform to the shape of the template, but when I put the photo in the layer on top of the template and do Ctrl-G, the photo goes behind the template. And the template obviously has space for multiple photos. I'm very confused.

I've purchased both of Ro's Secrets videos, but as I look through the list of files, I don't even know which video to watch. Can someone help direct me to the correct tutorial?

Thanks!

Victoria

Hi Victoria, try this: After you've colored the background and merged the layers with Ctrl+E, Place your first photo on the layer directly below the template and in the opening where you want it to appear (You will want to size it so that it is slightly larger than the opening) Next, be sure to activate the template layer, and using the magic wand tool with contiguous checked, click once on the photo in the opening. Marching ants should appear just inside the opening. Now press Shift+Ctrl+I, or go to Select>Inverse. Now activate the photo layer and press delete on your keyboard, then press Ctrl+D to deselect the marching ants. Repeat these steps for each photo and opening. HTH Let us know if you need more help than this.

YAY!!! That worked, TeeCee, but certainly not the least bit intuitive and I admit that I don't understand why I was doing the various steps. I know that's a lack of knowledge of the true power of the various PSE tools as well as a full understanding of layers.

I will say that what ended up working for me was to open a new blank file, place the template in the file, then just color the background layer of the heart with the Paint Bucket tool without doing the Ctrl-E / Merge Layers step. The photo was then placed below the template, but above the Background layer.

Thanks a bunch,

Victoria

YAY!!! That worked, TeeCee, but certainly not the least bit intuitive and I admit that I don't understand why I was doing the various steps. I know that's a lack of knowledge of the true power of the various PSE tools as well as a full understanding of layers.

I will say that what ended up working for me was to open a new blank file, place the template in the file, then just color the background layer of the heart with the Paint Bucket tool without doing the Ctrl-E / Merge Layers step. The photo was then placed below the template, but above the Background layer.

Thanks a bunch,

Victoria

Hi Victoria, glad it's working for you now! And as you've noticed, sometimes there are different methods for accomplishing the same end results. Some people just experiment and use whatever method they are more comfortable with. It's just a matter of personal preference. ;)

Archived