Clean Cut

lisamomof4

I don't have that software, but can you hold down the shift key with either the lasso or the regular select tool? That might give you a cleaner edge if you trace carefully around the section you want. I'm assuming you can't do a select by color?

If you are trying to cut out a shape..say a circle or square ..you can add a layer.. use a preset shape and the magic wand to select the shape..drop down on the layer you want cut and hit delete..then go back and delete the shape..you should have a cleaner cut. other than that I would use what others are using..and maybe use soften tools on edges..

• 2 weeks later...

I find that I often have to use more than one tool to extract just part of a photo. Which tool you start with depends on the image. If there's good contrast between the part you want and the background, the magic wand works well, as does the quick selection tool. For fussy bits, either the lasso or polygonal tool helps; remember to choose add or subtract. And for really cleaning up, I zoom in and use the eraser, with a small brush, hard or soft edged, depending on the image. HTH!

I like the pen tool for extracting. Use the pen to select what you want to remove, then you can right click and choose "make selection". It will give you the option to feather your selection which is sometimes very helpful. (You can try one or two pixels which will soften the edge and help it blend with background better). Then you can either erase your background by hitting delete or create a mask that you can edit further.

Hope this helps!!!

Archived