Hybrid Card Templates

diannecp

As much as I love making hybrid cards, I hate measuring for them every time. So recently I made a few templates on white card stock, for both 4x6 cards and 5x7 cards. For the card base (the large piece that I fold), I just laid my envelope over the top edge and marked the width, then measured the card height and doubled it, marked that dimension then trimmed it up. Then I marked off a smaller rectangle piece that serves as the card face (and the inside piece if I need one, if the base is a dark paper) and trimmed that. And then marked on them in big letters what they are, so I won't accidentally use them for something! It saves me so much time to just lay the template on the paper, mark it and trim up with my paper trimmer. I feel like I can spend more time focusing on embellishing, etc. Makes it much easier to print and use SG papers too (I usually crop to a little larger than the size I need, print and trim using the template).

I also made a few blank templates in Photoshop too, so making the card faces and "inners" is easier too - no more measuring every time! I just realized I haven't bought a store-bought card yet this year - woohoo!

I've been so tempted by all the stamps out there lately, but I keep reminding myself of all the beautiful SG brushes and how versatile they are. SG keeps saving me money and valuable space!! And now I'm off to indulge in the sale - LOL!

I've been very tempted by all the stamps out there too, Dianne and haven't invested in any of them yet, but I see it coming. Some of the cards I've gotten from SG members have used stamps and they are so wonderful! I have made templates too in my INDESIGN and also in PHOTOSHOP and it does make it so much easier when I go to make a card. I also made ATC templates which is a huge help and I use it often since I love to make ATCs.

Thanks for the tips - it's always good to learn something new here!

• 5 months later...

Over the years before I started going digital, I'd bought a lot of papers and cardstock, envelopes, etc. I have stamps, stickers and all of that. My problem with hybrid cards, is my mind goes blank and I can't think of what to put on them, image wise. I can think of words or titles, but just draw a blank about design. I see cards in stores with almost nothing on the front, just odd stuff, so I guess it doesn't matter. Then when I make cards digitally, I never get them printed, because it is a hassle. Guess I'm just a lazy scrapper!

I do print photos sometimes and stick them onto premade cards! I found some cards on sale recently and got the cards and envelopes for around 15 cents a card/envelope.

Is there any help for me? I've bought some card templates in the Boutique, but that is even harder to figure out, for me anyhow.:rolleyes: I admire those of you who go ahead and get them done.

Of course there is hope for you! You might find it less intimidating to start out with the next hybrid ATC swap - a much smaller canvas. The thread will go up shortly, and they'll be due in late October. There is no right or wrong way to do them.

You might browse the card gallery to get some ideas. I confess that when I've come up with one I really like, I'll do different versions for birthday, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just the opposite problem, Jean. I usually have the design ideas and nothing to put on the cards. I usually start by creating a design - it is just art for me. Tthen I'm left with an image I love but no idea what I want to do with it, what kind of card to make, etc. So maybe we should collaborate, LOL! Stampington's Take Ten magazine is a great source of inspiration for me . . . but I don't use stamps; I do almost everything digitally.

• 1 year later...

Hi girls,

I am just wondering if you like the looks of any of these? We have a good variety of printable cards from various designers here at Scrap Girls.

Here's the back story: about ten years ago when I was a SAHM, I started making greeting cards which had layers upon layers of beautiful papers, ribbons, message cards, etc. I made them and sold them but they were so labor-intensive, I could not break even.

So then I got the idea of designing collage-style greeting cards with designed envelopes that gave the illusion of multiple layers but all I had to do was print the card out front and back, score, and trim. Then to make them hybrid, I would embellish with glitter and rhinestones.

Does that sound interesting to anyone? I was thinking of doing a video tutorial of how I did this.

Hi girls,

I am just wondering if you like the looks of any of these? We have a good variety of printable cards from various designers here at Scrap Girls.

Here's the back story: about ten years ago when I was a SAHM, I started making greeting cards which had layers upon layers of beautiful papers, ribbons, message cards, etc. I made them and sold them but they were so labor-intensive, I could not break even.

So then I got the idea of designing collage-style greeting cards with designed envelopes that gave the illusion of multiple layers but all I had to do was print the card out front and back, score, and trim. Then to make them hybrid, I would embellish with glitter and rhinestones.

Does that sound interesting to anyone? I was thinking of doing a video tutorial of how I did this.

I would LOVE a tutorial. I love the look of hybrid stuff, but just don't have the supplies (or the room) to make them.

Hi girls,

This is a good idea, Kerry! I know for some, card making can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be. That was my whole premise behind writing "Card Stash 101", "Card Stash 102" and "Card Stash 103" tutorials for the ScrapGirls Blog. A video would be great!

Hi girls,

This is a good idea, Kerry! I know for some, card making can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be. That was my whole premise behind writing "Card Stash 101", "Card Stash 102" and "Card Stash 103" tutorials for the ScrapGirls Blog. A video would be great!

Lei you should do a video TOO, your CArds are AMAZING!

Lei:

Your card stash tutorials inspired me to try making cards. Thank you!

Barbara

I'm so glad, Barbara! Please be sure to post your creations so we can all ooh and aah over them!!

Archived