Graphic Arts/ Web Design - Programs (Best)

~*Kiana*~

I wasn't sure where to put this. Are there any graphic artists, web designers, web developers here? I wanted to know 1. what is the basic differences? 2. can one transfer into the other? 3. what's the best program (CS5 PSE PSP ect.) to use to achieve the best results?

Thanks in advance??

So like many young people, when I had the chance to attend college, I did but never finished. My original plan was Computer Info Systems. I also was very interested in graphic arts when in high school which I took for 3 years. Fast forward, marriage, kids, years later....I am going back for Web Design/Development now. I really want to know more about the field in general, and if I should go ahead and invest my money in CS5 now since I can get the student discount, or another program would be better. Again thanks!!

If you have the student discount, I'd definitely invest in CS5! I started with PaintShop Pro, then PS Elements, and finally moved to CS5. A bit of the learning curve but especially if you want to go further in this field, it's a must.

I think graphic arts is pretty broad, as they design for both print and web. You could maybe talk to a guidance counselor at your school, or at least try to take as much variety of courses (electives) as your program will allow. I too wish I'd have followed my art instincts years ago but at least Ii get to enjoy it now, if not professionally. Good luck.

Being a graphic/web designer I would recommend CS5 if you have the budget. The individual programs integrate together very well. I wish you well in your adventure. It really is one of the most creative fields to be in (I may be a little biased). :)

I am none of the above but believe--from reading interviews---that many designers work in Illustrator since it is vector based and designs can be enlarged without losing anything. As a student you can get the Photoshop package with illustrator included? Web design may use these programs, but I am guessing there would be more of an emphasis on Flash, etc. Check carefully with instructors as to what programs are the 'industry standard'.

HTH, candyK

Archived