Choosing Fonts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sharebear57

Sharebear57
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

How do you know what font will work well on a layout? I always have trouble picking one that will convey the right "feeling" or "mood" to work with the page. I also have a hard time choosing fonts that go together (for titles and journaling). How do you know how to choose the right one? Any advice would be appreciated!

#2 DDecker

DDecker

Live, Laugh, Love, Eat Chocolate!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am a mom, wife, sister, friend and daughter not necessarily in that order.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

I have thousands of fonts so this is an issue for me too! I use a basic font like times new or ariel and after I get what I want typed I highlight it all and then putting my curser in the text chooser box use the up/down arrows to scroll thru till I find one I like. I have a couple I use a lot but just play until I find the "right" one.

Not real helpful, I know but............lol!
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. reinhold niebuhr

#3 sfcgijill

sfcgijill
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

I had a trial version of a font organizer that I used to print them all up, now I just flip thru the book and find the one I want. Too cheap to buy the organizer!

#4 Sharebear57

Sharebear57
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

I have a sheet with all of fonts printed in alphabetical order, then I was thinking maybe I should rearrange it to be grouped like : handwriting, cursive, special, etc. (I haven't put a lot of thought into the categories yet), but I still don't really know how to pick one after I do that. Or how to match them together.

#5 Happy99

Happy99
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

There is a font organizer called The Font Thing at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~scef/
the only thing is I found that it freezes up when I hit the install button. So I use it to look at font samples, and then if I want to install the font I go thru windows control panel, fonts and then install the font that way. But the font thing is great to checkout what a font looks like and it will organize and print them.

#6 faerywings

faerywings
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:38 AM

I use the Font Thing too-- there is also X-Fonter and Font Frenzy that can help with viewing fonts.

TFT is nice because you can separate your fonts into collections.

#7 Crueltyfre/Lori

Crueltyfre/Lori

I Made it! I'm a Top-Dog Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

I choose the same way Dee does. I have to see it on the layout to pick the right one. I use PSP and I type my text, highlight it, and then use my mouse scroll wheel to scroll through all my fonts one by one. That way I can see how they look with the rest of the layout.
Lori

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users