Using Organizer

Deb C.

Does anyone use the Organizer for organizing their scrapbooking supplies?

I was thinking about using the organizer to tag all my supplies but I don't want to keep it all in there and bog the program down. I use a Mac and it seems like I see the colored spinning wheel quite a bit sometimes.

Anyway, I have a question. I thought I read somewhere that you could put things in the organizer, tag them, and then "move" them (from within PSE) onto an external hard drive and then the full-resolution item would no longer be in PSE. It would just be a "snapshot." Is that correct? Are the "snapshots" small enough that you could have tons in PSE and not bog it down?

Would appreciate your thoughts. (I use PSE 9 on a MacBook Pro.)

Thanks.

Deb C.

I used to use PSE's Organizer for my scrapping supplies but it did slow down the program A LOT! I switched to Picasa after I accidentally deleted my catalogs in Organizer after having spent countless hours tagging items. You don't have to tag with Picasa, particularly with the file-naming conventions followed here at Scrap Girls. I do use Organizer for my photos.

I use a PC rather than the Mac, but you should be able to put your supplies directly on your EHD and just tell Organizer to watch the folders on the EHD. I was doing that when I used the Organizer.

I used to use the PSE organizer on a PC. Like with Pat, I lost everything not once but twice. At that point I abandoned it and went to ACDSee, and I have since abandoned that for Picasa, also just like Pat. In Picasa I don't tag anything - ever. Love it.

I used to use the organiser, I have PSE10 on a PC, and like Pat it really slowed not just PSE but my whole PC down. I am lucky to have a high spec PC but it couldn't cope, in the end I deleted the catalogs, and I too now use Picasa.

The organiser is good, if you can cope with the slow running and the time you will need to spend tagging everything.

This might be a silly question - but - will putting another program (like Picasa) on my MacBook Pro slow it down? I don't like getting that little colored spinning wheel!

I've not noticed a slowing of my computer, in normal running mode. When you first put it on your computer it has to do a scan to locate and then load all ( and I mean all) photo files into it's database. This initial phase will effect your computer speed a bit, but once it's done any further update, like when you buy new supplies or create a new LO, should have no effect on computer speed.

One other note Picasa will only run when you open it, then it constantly scans your folders for changes in the background. When you close it, it stops scanning. I keep mine open all the time, but like I said I have a high speck PC with loads of RAM.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I just downloaded Picasa because I am starting to get a collection and I need it to be organized or I will do what I did last time get so overwhelmed trying to find something and stop scrapping digitally!

Off to see how you all organize!(I know there is a post here somewhere! :D:-) )

• 1 year later...

Explain for this newbie, please, what is Picasa and how would I utilize it?

Picasa is a Google program that you download to your computer (i.e. you don't have to be online to use it). It is used to search your image files (png, jpeg, psd, etc.). The way Scrap Girls names their products, you have to do very little tagging to find products when you search. Also, Picasa can do color searches without tagging as well. If you use the search box in the top right corner (under your picture) you'll find lots of threads where we've talked about Picasa and listed lots of tips. HTH

Explain for this newbie, please, what is Picasa and how would I utilize it?

Another thing- When you first open Picasso, it will automatically start to scan all of your photos and supplies. Go to Tools-Folder Manager and it will take you to a list of your drives and folders. You can select which drives or folders you want it to search. It will also scan External Hard drives if you set it to scan them. You can click on scan once or always.

There is a version for Macs too that I need to get, but I've never used the Mac version.

Archived