Lightmeter Vs Histogram

DaveUK

I was browsing ebay for a new (well new to me) light/flashmeter when I came across what I thought was a strange comment.

The person had stated that the reason they were selling the meter was because they had started using histograms from the camera to determine the exposure.

This is where I came a bit unstuck. I was always led to believe that a meter measured ambient, incident or reflected light on/from the subject, whereas a histogram measures the tonality of an image from white to black.

So, my question is are they the same? If so, how so. Would be grateful for anyone who could advise further on this matter.

My feeling is that they are not but, God forbid, I might be wrong!

Just wondered!!

So, I was watching an online lighting class this afternoon and the instructor used his light meter all the time. You use the light meter before the shot... and you check the histogram until after you've taken it. I think Bobbie is right in how they're using it. Hope you can get a good deal on the meter. :)

Yep, you're right in how they work differently, but you can use them as Bobbie and April said to work to get your exposures right. Since I haven't really learned about using a separate light meter, have one I just haven't got it mastered yet, I just use the gray card/histogram/trust the in camera light meter method. Need to work on more skills here. I went to a lighting seminar at Photoshop World and went out to buy my light meter, but just haven't used it yet.

Archived