Never Ending Story

April Showers

a clear image of your desired destination in mind. Hmmm, well she hadn't remembered picturing the bough of the tree as her desired destination, but perhaps her subconcious did that for her. Maybe there was something on the bough, or near that location that she was supposed to find.

The spider only smiled.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and as he did, Serena noticed that his travels around the page seemed to be in a pattern. Was he trying to tell her something? Serena stood very still and watched carefully. She saw the Spider crawl across the page, stop and circle around a written notation which appeared to be a LETTER? Could it be he was spelling something out? But, the letters were not easy to read. Serenca peered carefully and saw him move again. She started to write down his path ------------

T W O I N T H E B U S H

What? What in the world could that mean & what did it have to do with her? The phrase was familiar though. Selene leaned back against the rough bark of the tree & started to think.

While Serena was pondering this latest development, Serena's mother was brooding over the behaviour of her youngest daughter. Serena reminded her so much of her own father who had passed away last year. With all of his good traits, her father was a serious dreamer and believer of things that could never be real. Serena's grandfather had once had her mother convinced there were fairies, but alas as her mother grew into an adult she knew there were no fairies. Serena's mother wanted so much to curtail these silly wanderings and not completely kill her creativity. Her mother wondered if

Maybe Serena had spent too much time with her grandfather? Maybe he had filled her head with tales of fairies and dreams and impossible magical things. She thought more. How could she convince Serena to be realistic, yet not lose her imagination and sense of spirit? After all, she loved Serena the way she was (and secretly she was proud she was so creative) but she didn't want her to get hurt in life. But, this recent silliness had to go - it could hurt her! She went to look for Serena and found her leaning against a tree mumbling "Two in the bush".

Serena's mother gasped and she asked "where did you hear that? Who told you?"

Serena's mother could not believe her ears. Two in a bush was part of a fantasy that she had believed when she was Serena's age. Over the years she had forgotten about it like so many other forgotten dreams and fantasies. She had never shared this dreamworld of gardens and streams and talking animals. How could Serena have heard about two in the bush

Anyway........

----- was it possible that this magical world existed or at the very least was passed down to SELENE without her even knowing... "Two in the bush.. Two in the bush" she repeated. How could that help Selene? Because at this point she feared Selene might be in danger. How could she help her? Should she tell her what she knew? Or what she used to know and now tried to forget?

If she didn't know it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. She wasn't even sure he was still there, or if she could find the right bush anymore... it had been so long.

Yes, she had to try, for Selene. She would go tonight, by the light of the moon as she always had as a child. Surely the way would come back to her as she re-traced her childhood fantasies.

Meanwhile, Selene was still pondering "Two in the Bush". She repeated it over and over - nothing clicked! Then suddenly she remembered her Grandfather's house. And, how proud he was of his bushes in the backyard. Were they planted in a pattern? Selene tried hard to remember.....

Selene suddenly stopped chanting two in the bush. She realized that she had not answered her mother's question about "who had told her". In fact her mother was completely and uncharacteristically quiet. Instead of anger, Selene saw a look of doubt and concern as if she did not know what to say next. Her mother always knew what to say next.... Selene had the oddest thought pop into her head - was it possible that her mother of all people could help her find the Grimoire. When Selene could stand the silence no longer she said

"Mother? I need help". She told her mother about what had happened and asked what she knew about magic, the Grimoire and the phrase "Two in the Bush". "Please" she pled silently, "Be honest. Trust me"

Her mother looked at Selene for a long time and then said.....

"It's a bit of a long story, Selene. I will tell you, but not right now. We must get back home, I'm sure your father is beside himself by now because I came looking for you hours ago."

She paused a moment, watching Selene.

"Come now," she sighed. "We have an adventure before us, but chores," she cast a sideways glance at her daughter "and a sern talking too come first."

More chores, why was her mother making her do chores at a time like this. Selene reluctantly followed her mother still carrying the book. Selene looked down at the spider, he was spelling out something else.

She looked carefully - what was he trying to tell her?

"Look around", he wrote. "pay close attention to those around you". And, then..... "trust yourself".

Selena sighed.. That was no help. Wasn't she paying attention? She looked up as her mother stopped before her and said, ------

in a dreamy voice, "The spider webs are beautiful this morning". Selene stopped suddenly and stared, that was so unlike her mother. She was usually so business like and strict, not dreamy and almost wistful. Something was different, was this what the spider meant.

Her mother turned, "maybe we should go to your Grandfather's house now",

Selene held her breath. She wasn't sure whether to agree or disagree... or what? Her mother was definately not herself today and it was freaking her out just a tad. Long moments passed before Selene's mother shook her head as though waking from a trance.

"We need to eat first, and it must be dark when we go, so let's hurry home and get some things together." She looked at Selene with a conspiratorial grin. "There is an adventure afoot!"

Selene stared at her mother a long time.. Then she smiled and slowly took her hand. It felt good being close to her mother - and she felt safer feeling that she was going to help. She got a little excited thinking of what they could maybe do together, but she feared her mother would back out.

At home they had a quick supper, then her mother sat her down. "Selene" she said. "there is something I've never told you". "you come from a long lineage of special people". They ---------

can see, hear and feel things in the natural world that most humans cannot fathom. The lineage is ancient and strong. Each person's power varies but your Grandfather was one of the great one's. My power was less strong but in you I see the power your Grandfather had and it scares me. This power comes with tremendous resposibilities, burdens and incredible opportunity. Tonight you and I will begin a journey to

the land of sprite and magic. Are you up to it Selene? It is rewarding, but hard and does come with tremedous responsibility to do good.

Selene didn't think long and answered "Yes. Grandfather was such a good being and I would like to carry on his work". "Ok" her mother sighed. You must know that it isn't an easy life - and sometimes deadly, as there are evil forces also. And once you enter into this realm, you are there for good AND bad.

Selene shook but nodded her head bravely. Suddenly she realized the Grimoire was shaking also - the spider was moving raplidly and spelling out, "Welcome, my sweet child".

"Grandpa?" Selene gasped in surprise. "Yes" the spider spelled. "I am so proud of you. Your first task is to " ------

journey with your mother to TWO IN THE BUSH. Your mother knows the way and will explain to you the mystery and magic of TWO IN THE BUSH on the journey. TWO IN THE BUSH will give you an ancient map that will take you on tonights journey to the mystical garden of the ancient ones. Selene, your mother can journey no farther than TWO IN THE BUSH with you this evening. Do you agree with these terms and will you take this journey?

Selene gathered all of the courage she had and nodded her assent. Her mother reached for her hand and together they began the walk to TWO IN THE BUSH. As they walked, Selene's mother began to explain the mystery and magic that awaited them ahead. Selene she said

our heritage is an ancient and proud one. Yes, there is magic, but there is also evil and both bring with them great reponsibility - one in usage, the other to work against. When you find Two in the Bush you will understand all this better. My father explained it to me and journeyed with me, now I journey with you. Selene listened intently. She asked "does everyone in our family have this gift?". "No, her mother answered, "You are the only one of my children that it was born in and I have always feared for you" "But, why?" Selene asked. ""Because there is great danger with ths gift" her mother replied. "You must use it carefully and always be aware of what which can come into you and harm you."

Selene wondered if maybe magic wasn't so wonderful when the Grimoire shook again. She looked at the spider who eyed her back and said, "Selene, you are almost to "Two in the Bush". Use your time wisely, not all have been able to experience it". Suddenly Selene noticed her mother had stopped walking and was looking around carefully. Selene's eyes widened as her mother suddenly drew out what looked to be a wand and drew a circle in the dirt. Then, she circled and old tree three times and tapped inside the circle. Suddenly, Selene found herself -----

surrounded by thick darkness. Thousands of tiny... leaves? She was actually in a HUGE bush! Or was she smaller? She didn't feel smaller, she stared in wonder at her hands as they seemed to materialize out of the shadows. Once her eyes had adjusted to the darkness she was aware that her mother stood at her side watching her.

"Come child, we don't have long."

Together they scrambled through branches that seemed more like fallen trees. Over, under, around, sliding off of leaves or struggling past them. The tangle of vegetation thickened as they neared what had to be the center of the bush. Selene heard a rustling ahead. Branches wound around, it was a nest! Suddenly two shining black eyes peered at them from the edge.

"A bird in hand?" an odd lilting voice asked.

"Is worth two in the bush." Selene's mother replied softly.

"Right you are, Glendyl! It has been a long time, I thought you had forgotten us. You have grown, and it appears you bring a younger version of yourself with you! Welcome, Selene, we have been waiting for your arrival."

At that very moment a second pair or dark shiny eyes appeared and a deeper gravely voice said "Gleyndl we are so glad to see you and to get to meet Selene". The first bird jumped down from its perch. It had the body of delicate crane but feathers in every color of the rainbow. She introduced herself as Guardian. The second bird immediately jumped to her side. He had the body of an Eagle and feathers in every imaginable shade of gold, silver & copper. He introduced himself as Enforcer.

For a few tense moments neither bird said a word to Selene or Gleyndl. They were silently staring at Selene as if they were wondering if she was up to the task. When Guardian finally broke the silence she said "We are the keepers of the map that will take you to the ancient garden". I must decide who can possess the map and Enforcer must ensure that my decision is executed. Some come here looking for the map in search of personal gain & not for the good of humanity.

Before you can possess the map, Guardian said, you must pass the first test of your long journey. Enforcer will begin the test with

a scan of your being. Please close your eyes and relax... Selene trembled, but closed her eyes and tried to keep still.. After what seemed like forever, she heard Enforcer say, "You are acceptable - you are clean in sprit, honest, fair and brave. Much like your mother and grandfather before you. Now, for a few questions." -----

"What is your favourite colour?"

Selene was puzzled, what did they want to know that for "Why?" she asked.

"It will determine what animal you will become, I became a bird, your Grandfather a spider."

That made sense, so Selene answered....