Free Mini Class: Hand Cut Paper Flowers

anna

Good morning Scrap Girls! I'm looking forward to seeing y'all in the chat room later this morning! We'll be getting ready for spring by making paper flowers!

You can download the class tutorial HERE.

When class starts, please have the following supplies open in PSE/PS:

•  
  • several coordinating papers (a mixture of solid and pattern works fine)
  • a couple of buttons or brads to work as the center of your flowers

Post here if you have any questions! Otherwise, I'll see you in a few hours! :D

Wahoo! I'm so excited to see everyone! I've taken a bit of a sabbatical (getting back in gear after having the baby is harder than I thought!) but I'm happy to be back. I'll save you all front row seats! And I'll bring the chocolate. :D

Thank you all for coming! I had a WONDERFUL time and I hope you did to! (And that you learned something in the process!)

Wanna know the best news? I get to give away a prize! A Paper Set! :D

Here's the deal:

•  
  • Post a layout in the Mischief Days Gallery by 8 pm tonight (Salt Lake time), using a paper flower of your creating.
  • I'll randomly pick one layout.
  • Make sure you use the words "Paper Flower Class" in the title so I don't miss your work.
  • I'll post the winner here in the class thread. And I'll send you a private message letting you know you won.
  • Even if you didn't attend the class, you are still more than welcome to do a layout - the tutorial has all of the steps.

So sorry that I missed your class, Anna. I was out at the beach taking a walk around the lagoon. Got some fabulous photos of a Swan taking off in flight and also some Canada Geese. Layout is in the works.

I'll try to get a layout done. I've got two hours to get one uploaded.

Well, I don't know how you gals created such pretty flowers. I've spent the better part of an hour trying, and they look like crap. One paper ended up having a hole in it, but no layer for the flower. So, I'm giving up. I'll play around with it another day and see if I can make a decent flower.

And the winner is.......Valerie! Congratulations! HERE'S a link to her cute layout! :D

Valerie, you need to send a message to Angie at hello@scrapgirls.com to claim your prize. Let her know that it's from the Paper Flowers Mini Class taught by Anna on Saturday morning at 10 am. Choose a paper set and include the name of the set and a link to the product in your email. Let me know if you have any questions!

I have really enjoyed seeing all of the layouts using this technique! One of my favorite parts about teaching is that I show you a technique, and all y'all take it and run. :D I get so many great ideas from seeing how you use the techniques. I'm excited to play with more types of flowers.

If I haven't answered your questions (or you've thought of new ones!) don't hesitate to post here or to send me a pm and I'll be happy to help you.

Well, I don't know how you gals created such pretty flowers. I've spent the better part of an hour trying, and they look like crap. One paper ended up having a hole in it, but no layer for the flower. So, I'm giving up. I'll play around with it another day and see if I can make a decent flower.

Carol, it can be really frustrating trying to learn a new technique with a deadline looming over you. I hope you can take some time and play and have fun with it.

Carol, some of my flowers were simply dreadful. Really. Really awful. It depends a LOT on the papers you use. A mixture of solid papers and patterned papers with small patterns work best. And then just keep experimenting. Remember that they aren't supposed to look perfect - they are supposed to look kind of sloppy. :D

And remember that it's supposed to be fun. :D

Don't hesitate to post or to send me a pm if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help you. And if you want, post the flowers you have made, even if you don't like them. Maybe we can give you some feedback on what you can do so you'll like them better. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes makes all the difference. (If you do post them, could you post a link here so I'll be sure to see them? Sometimes I miss things that just get posted in the gallery.)

Carol, some of my flowers were simply dreadful. Really. Really awful. It depends a LOT on the papers you use. A mixture of solid papers and patterned papers with small patterns work best. And then just keep experimenting. Remember that they aren't supposed to look perfect - they are supposed to look kind of sloppy. :D

And remember that it's supposed to be fun. :D

Don't hesitate to post or to send me a pm if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help you. And if you want, post the flowers you have made, even if you don't like them. Maybe we can give you some feedback on what you can do so you'll like them better. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes makes all the difference. (If you do post them, could you post a link here so I'll be sure to see them? Sometimes I miss things that just get posted in the gallery.)

Anna, you don't know what awful is until you see what I sort of created. I'm sending you an email and you'll see that when I say crap, I mean crap. :rofl:

I love the flowers that I have made.....i have saved them as .png and .psd because I didn't want to loose something that I needed....but am having trouble "using the flower as a .png" I am so confused! I can't seem to extract the .png part of the flower from the background that I made it on in order to put onto a layout....I am able to link the layers on the .psd version, but am confused about the .png version. am I making this more difficult than it needs to be??

I love the flowers that I have made.....i have saved them as .png and .psd because I didn't want to loose something that I needed....but am having trouble "using the flower as a .png" I am so confused! I can't seem to extract the .png part of the flower from the background that I made it on in order to put onto a layout....I am able to link the layers on the .psd version, but am confused about the .png version. am I making this more difficult than it needs to be??

Make sure your background is transparent before you save it as a png. If it is solid white, you need to delete the white background layer. You can just drag it to the trash can. When the background is transparent, it shows gray and white checks. Hope that helps!

Archived