Help With School Photos

ValerieT

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question.

For starters I use PSE 10 on windows 7.

I have over 200 photos of Ben that the school have taken over the years, there are some really good ones in there and I want to scrap them.

The problem is, they have been printed at what appears to be a normal or draft print quality on normal (not photo) paper, and most have a very grainy appearance.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve these photos? Or the best way to scrap them?

Thanks in advance.

I would duplicate the pic, change it to screen thyen duplicate THAT layer and change it to soft light... adjust the sliders to your liking...

Then I would add an unsharp mask and set the settings to 10/50/0 or change as necessary...

Not sure if it will help... but that is what I would do!!

Another option is one which I think Syndee covered in a newsletter tutorial a while back... yes, here it is!

http://www.scrapgirls.com/NL/SG_News_110908_Thu_Filters.html

try the high pass filter option... it sharpens up the edges on soft pics really well...

Good luck!!!!

Jode, thanks for answering that question. I clicked on your newsletter link. Not only did I find that great tutorial from Syndee, but I also found a template from Angie Briggs and a couple of paper templates from Jan Ransley that just HAD to go on my Wish List. Don't know how I missed them before.

BTW, how did you find that back newsletter? Do you have them tagged somehow?

Thanks for making my Wish List longer! :rolleyes:

I heard a tip for scanning newspapers to scan in "de-screening" mode - it's supposed to help with the pixilation/background stuff. I don't know if it would help in your situation, and it doesn't seem to be an option for my scanner, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

I would duplicate the pic, change it to screen thyen duplicate THAT layer and change it to soft light... adjust the sliders to your liking...

Then I would add an unsharp mask and set the settings to 10/50/0 or change as necessary...

Not sure if it will help... but that is what I would do!!

Another option is one which I think Syndee covered in a newsletter tutorial a while back... yes, here it is!

http://www.scrapgirls.com/NL/SG_News_110908_Thu_Filters.html

try the high pass filter option... it sharpens up the edges on soft pics really well...

Good luck!!!!

Jode, thanks for answering that question. I clicked on your newsletter link. Not only did I find that great tutorial from Syndee, but I also found a template from Angie Briggs and a couple of paper templates from Jan Ransley that just HAD to go on my Wish List. Don't know how I missed them before.

BTW, how did you find that back newsletter? Do you have them tagged somehow?

Thanks for making my Wish List longer! :rolleyes:

Jody, you rock! I'm going to have to play now myself. :)

Deb, boy do I know how you feel! Every time I log on, someone is mentioning something that I just can't resist. :blush:

Archived