Pse 10 Editor "run Time Error"

goosie

I have a new laptop and I loaded PSE10 on it. I haven't used it much yet, but I have been in editor a few times with no problems. Today I started experimenting with loading a style, and with all the instruction help I gathered on the message board here, everything seemed to be going as described. Until I tried to open editor - the error message says" Microsoft Visual C++ Run Time Error" and shuts down. I've done several things to try to rectify, including removing the style I had just loaded. During the process of loading the style, I did follow the instructions to rebuild the database by deleting the MediaDatabase.db3 file and the thumbs database file. I also rebooted and restarted my computer several times. But the error message prevails! I am running Windows 7.

Anyone out there experience this problem and have you found a fix? I sure hope so....help!!! :(

There is no simple fix to this, sorry.sad.gif

It is not a problem with PSE, but with something else on your computer. Normally your video card, especially Nvidia cards. There is help on the internet if you search the exact wording of your error message.

If you can give more information on your system, video card, ram, are you windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit, etc, I can probably help you more.

Just checked and this error can also be caused by having too many programmes running (including background programmes, like anti virus software) at the same time. Your video card and computer are limited to how much they can do at once, and PSE needs a lot of resources.

This computer runs the 64 bit version of Windows 7. It has an Intel Core i3 processor (2.3 GHz) with 6 GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive (770 GB free) with the "Intel HD Graphics Family". We do run an anti-virus program, Webroot Secure Anywhere, which is a "cloud-based" program that is supposed to consume very few system resources. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling PSE 10 because from what I've seen on the various message boards that often doesn't work because as you suggested it seems to be a computer issue in most cases although it may be worth a try.

Thanks so much for your help. This is pretty frustrating because PSE 10 is one of the major reasons we went to a new computer. I hope we can get this resolved!

Your processor and ram are excellent, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Are all your programmes, windows and your hardware up to date? Even new computers need checking for updates. Windows update is on the control panel, and you can update your hardware from control panel/hardware and sound/device manager then right click on each item and click update driver.

What other programmes do you have open, not necessarily using, at the same time as you are trying to use PSE? It's a long shot, but one maybe using a lot of resources.

Another thing to check is your screen resolution, right click on the desktop and click screen resolution. Make sure the resolution is no higher than the recommended settings.

One last thing I've found so far to check is your graphics card settings. Some new cards, especially HD ones, come with a 3D graphics setting which is known to cause problems. Unfortunately I have an Nvidia HD card, so I don't know where the Intel control panel is located. It won't hurt to check all your graphics card settings.

If none of this helps, I would un-install PSE and re-install it.

Hope this helps.

Just thought I would add, I had this problem last year. The old graphics card was using too much RAM, DH sorted it but can't remember what he did.

Valerie,

Thanks for all your input. I had all the other programs closed. The resolution is at the recommended setting (1600x900). It doesn't appear that this graphics card is 3D, only HD. All the Windows updates both critical and recommended are installed. We checked for updates to the video drivers and it came back that they are all the most current and they are signed by Microsoft (we had an issue with unsigned drivers on an old PC many years ago that caused all kinds of huge problems so we know to look at that!).

We don't seem to have any RAM usage problems; right now with IE 9 open of the 5.8 GB of RAM installed, 1.4 are cached,making 4.4 available of which 3.2 are free which seems reasonable.

On some of the board postings, there are references to starting the computer using the System Configuration Utility and doing a "clean boot" which I guess allows you to pick and choose processes and programs running in on the computer and then by trial and error trying to find which one(s) might be causing this error. Are you familiar with that? It seems a little too involved, maybe something for the Geek Squad! This is all very disappointing!

My DH is ghost writing most of this, he is our resident geek. I wouldn't know any of this stuff, I just want to go play in my new PSE!

I'll get my DH to read what you have done so far, and see if he has some other ideas, we live in the UK, so he should be able to look in a few hours.

The most common cause is the graphics card in combination with another programme using too much RAM. Every time you run a programme that uses the graphics card, e.g. a game, extra RAM and processor is used.

One idea he did have is the following

- reboot computer

-press F8 key repeatedly when rebooting

-select safe mode

-select account ( not sure you will need this step)

-right click on desktop and select personalise

-click display settings

-adjust the resolution slider all the way to the left

-click ok

-restart in normal mode

-try and run PSE

It's safer to make a major change this way. This will eliminate if the service programme that comes with your graphics card is using too much memory.

One other thing I just thought of, have you removed all the pre-installed programmes you are never going to use, especially trial versions of anti virus soft ware.

DH has been searching the web for any thing else that can help.

On the Adobe forum the general advice is to un-install PSE completely. Make sure you remove everything, all folders, files, etc. If you have a programme to check your registry, run that after you have un-installed, then reboot your computer. What you need is a clean installation.

It appears this is a known problem, PSE seems to create a corrupted folder for some reason. You can get technical support from Adobe, if you do have a corrupted file or folder.

If we can be of any more help, just ask.

Valerie, you have been so helpful today! My PSE Editor is currently working, but it seems that it is a problem without a final solution - so it may crash again. As you discovered, this is a known problem and we combed through all the posts in the Adobe help forums and a product help page posted by Adobe and found that re-creating the Media Database file as well as rebuiling the editor preferences seemed to help in some cases and at least it got our's up and running again with no more runtime errors.However, most people who posted indicated that they eventually had the problem recur and had to re-create the Media Database again, in some cases in just a few days. So we'll see what happens. I've read that PSE comes with its own uninstaller and that it is pretty thorough (we don't have anything to check the registry) so that will be the next step if needed. We bookmarked a few of the Adobe forums and we'll keep monitoring them in hopes that somebody will figure this out. Thanks for all your help!

Archived