Organizing "used" Pictures

mbc72

I am very curious to know how everyone keeps track of the pictures they have scrapped. My photos are organized in folders by year, then month, then occasionally by event. This works fine for me, I know where to look when I am searching for a photo. My problem comes in when I have scrapped a particular picture. My layouts are in another folder. I thought about putting my scrapped photos in their own folder, but then I am worried I won't be able to find them if they aren't chronological. I also thought about changing the file name, adding an s for scrapped, for example. I don't really use the PSE organizer, never really got the hang of it, the folders work for me.

What do you do? How do you keep track of which pictures you have scrapped?

Oh... Funny and I never thought of that and guess I haven't done enough layouts, because i already readily know when looking if I've scrapped a photo!

But, I would think maybe adding a marker/star, etc - some sort of "clue" to the scrapped photo might help?

I've never really thought about it either, but adding anything to the file name would certainly work, so long as you remember what it means and get into the habit of doing it every time (which would be my problem).

I've never really thought about it either, but adding anything to the file name would certainly work, so long as you remember what it means and get into the habit of doing it every time (which would be my problem).

hehee.. Funny valerie - me too!

I organize my supplies by putting keywords into the file names. This would also work for your photos. Leave your photos in their chronological folders (I do this too), and then I suggest adding "_Scrap" to the beginning of the filename. Then when you sort the folder by "name", all of your "already scrapped" photos will fall at the beginning or the end of the list (because of the "_"), making it easier to scan through the un-scrapped photos. So a photo called "DSCN0744" would be renamed "_scrap-DSCN0744". Just put whatever your keyword is going to be at the beginning (not the end) of the filename so you can sort easily.

Suzy

I organize my supplies by putting keywords into the file names. This would also work for your photos. Leave your photos in their chronological folders (I do this too), and then I suggest adding "_Scrap" to the beginning of the filename. Then when you sort the folder by "name", all of your "already scrapped" photos will fall at the beginning or the end of the list (because of the "_"), making it easier to scan through the un-scrapped photos. So a photo called "DSCN0744" would be renamed "_scrap-DSCN0744". Just put whatever your keyword is going to be at the beginning (not the end) of the filename so you can sort easily.

Suzy

Great idea Suzy, and I love that the change in the file name would group the files together.

Hmmm...interesting question. I'm like Marilyn, I haven't done enough pages yet to forget which ones I've scrapped. On the other hand, I've been known to scrap the same photo in different contexts.

I never thought about this - like others, I guess I haven't scrapped enough. I can definitely remember if I've stared at a photo long enough to scrap it. Adding a prefix would be a good idea, though, especially, as Valerie says, if you can remember to do it consistently.

I don't keep track of photos that have been scrapped or not scrapped. Like Monica, I have often scrapped the same photo in a different context. I just don't see any need to try to keep track.

I don't keep track of photos that have been scrapped or not scrapped. Like Monica, I have often scrapped the same photo in a different context. I just don't see any need to try to keep track.

That's the way I feel, too.

Archived