Best Laptop For Scrapbooking

I am going to be coming into a little money, hopefully in the next few weeks. I'd like to get a laptop as I'm tired of being tied to my desktop to scrap. I don't necessarily need a lot of bells & whistles. Just something that isn't too bulky, has a decent battery life and doesn't cost an arm & a leg. lol I some times use a graphic tablet and have a portable ehd. I like to know what y'all suggest I purchase. Thank you - Kelly

I bought Charlotte a Dell Vostro last Fall - it looks like they cost a bit more than they did then, but hers runs PS just fine. When I bought one for another daughter a few years ago, I just checked the site every week or so and the one we were looking at went on sale for an excellent price.

I would also suggest that you not go for the very largest screen size or very smallest screen size. Either end of the spectrum costs more money. A medium-sized screen (14" - 15" - 16") will provide much more horsepower for your money, and you can attach a separate, perhaps very large, second monitor when you are "parked" somewhere. Two screens are definitely better than one!

7200 rpm disk drives are a significant improvement over 5400 rpm, and worth it to me. More memory is always good (I have 8GB on my almost two year old desktop with an i5--it's very fast. For PC's, I'd get at an Intel I5, maybe i7, rather than an I3. Don't know what to recommend for Macs.

Try to go see the computer before you buy; especially if you're going to use it portable rather than always with an external keyboard; you need to feel comfortable with the keys. (Most of the time, my laptop sits in an inexpensive tilted stand that raises the screen up level with the external monitor, and I use a USB hub to add keyboard "real mouse" and/or tablet) and I connect a second monitor. But when I travel, it's just the laptop and a tiny portable mouse.)

Hope this helps clarify some of the considerations.

The i3 chip does use a lot less power though, so your battery will last longer. We have a 2 computers (the laptop I mentioned in a previous post and a gamer machine) with the i3 chip and it is still pretty darn fast. (Bob worked on designing all of those chips.... the last of what he did at Intel)

Also, if it has 32 bit rather than 64 bit memory access ability, it can't use more than 4G of ram. You may be able to install more, but it won't be able to use it.

• 1 month later...

While it was bittersweet, the money finally arrived. I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron. Best Buy had a online special and was able to pick it up locally. Now I'm waiting for our photoshop upgrade to arrive tomorrow - photoshop cs6 extended. I can't wait!!!!

I'm still still getting used to the laptop. I'm used to a desktop so there are a few little quirky things I have to get used to but I love not being confined to our computer room. As for photoshop it loaded smoothly but it will be at least one more day before I get to play with it. :( I have much needed housework to do before going to work @ 1:00 and don't get off until 9. I have lessons that I got from an online school for cs5 that I dying to dive into. sigh.

While it was bittersweet, the money finally arrived. I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron. Best Buy had a online special and was able to pick it up locally. Now I'm waiting for our photoshop upgrade to arrive tomorrow - photoshop cs6 extended. I can't wait!!!!

Congratulations on your new purchase --- I have the Inspiron too, I've been scrapping with it for over a year AND I love it --- good luck!

Archived