Which Version Of Pse To Buy/download

I recently lost my hard drive and in the process of acquiring a new computer. (Thanks to Ro for her backup information i.e SyncToy and different external drives I did not lose much). But now have to download a new Photoshop Elements (previously I worked with PSE5 - albeit not much as I preferred DIP and not sure DIP will work on my new computer with Windows 7) So in anticipation of my needing a new Photoshop Elements - Can I ask what version to download? It seems not many people have worked with PSE10 yet so I am wary of trying something nobody will know anything about.

Also a question to Ro - You mentioned in your backup article having two hard drives on the computer - was this a laptop and how do I go about doing that?

Any suggestions from anybody will be appreciated.

Pam

For Download you will probably only be able to get PSE 10.

I use PSE 10 and love it, but I have never used any other versions. Some people find it hard to adjust to the changes in the programme, there will be quite a few from PSE 5.

If you will be using windows 7, I suggest you go with PSE 9 or 10, as earlier versions may not work on windows 7.

There are plenty of us here who use PSE 10, and can help with any questions you may have.

Hope this helps.

If you want to download the software and start playing right away, you'll have to upgrade to PSE10. However, now that PSE10 has been released, you might be able to find some great cheap deals for PSE9.

I started with PSE5, and then upgraded to 9. Haven't gone up to 10 yet.

I use PSE 10 also, and love it. It has some really neat features that earlier versions did not. Lots of folks here are using it, so if you run into any problems, there will always be help available. I picked up my copy at Costco for about $50, but that was some time back. I know it was on sale recently for the same. And you can always download a trial version to play with.

I'm obviously not Ro, but I can answer your hard drive question.

It is easy to have multiple hard drives on a desktop computer, the number depends on how many drive slots there are on the board,. With most laptops, you'll still need to use an external hard drive. They do make laptops with dual drive bays, but a majority of laptops on the market don't have them. If that is something you're interested in, you would need to check the specs for the specific computer you're getting.

Thank you to all for the help - I have only dabbled with PSE5 as I mentioned I am a die hard DIP fan but worried that I might not be able to install it on WIndows 7 - so will have to change over to PSE. So I guess there is enough users on Scrap Girls that if I get into trouble I can always YELL!!!

Thank you "April Showers" for the information. I have a laptop and a desktop - its the laptop (which I use more often than the desktop) that is caput and wondered if there was something I should know when ordering it - but you have answered the question. I use SyncToy to back up to a 2 TB External Drive and several 500 gb external drives with multiple backups including Carbonite. I also recently heard of DROBO external drive which is expensive but seems to be a better alternative than the several external drives. Can you tell I am paranoid about losing stuff!!!! So replacing my laptop data is an inconvenience but not a massive headache!

Anyway sorry to ramble but thank you all for the information. I knew I could rely on help from Scrap Girls!

Archived