Erasure Tool

LadyL

I'm having a problem with my erasure tool, it just will not erase. The background erasure tool still works but it's slow and messy and does a poor job in the sense that it doesn't erase dark colours very well, it leaves a shadow. All my other tools work just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using CS4 extended.

Lynda

Is your opacity set to 100%? If it's lower, then it doesn't erase everything properly.

I always use just the plain eraser tool - sometimes as a block, sometimes as a brush.

Also - you might want to go to the top left (at least that's where it is on PSE6 for me) -- click on the little arrow and on the drop down menu click "reset tool". Always works for me if I've inadvertantly changed some setting. Good luck! :)

And this is embarrasing to admit, but when it doesn't work for me, I'm usually on the wrong layer... :(

Yep, that's happened to me too. There is no end to the frustration of user error is there? lol

And this is embarrasing to admit, but when it doesn't work for me, I'm usually on the wrong layer... :(

Me too Gayle ;)

A couple things I would double-check:

1) Do you have the right brush selected for your eraser brush tool? It could be that you have chosen a spotty brush or one that is not solid. Check that.

2) Do you have a style applied to the layer that you are trying to erase? If there is a style applied, then weird things can happen where you are erasing.

2) Do you have a style applied to the layer that you are trying to erase? If there is a style applied, then weird things can happen where you are erasing.

That must be what has happened to me, too. I was trying to add a layer mask to something last night but it kept showing up as a vector mask? I ended up just using the eraser tool. (PSE9, btw)

And add me to the group who tries to erase things on the wrong layer! :hit-head-with-hammer:

1) Do you have the right brush selected for your eraser brush tool? It could be that you have chosen a spotty brush or one that is not solid. Check that.

Good points Cherise! :)

thankyou! thankyou! Problem is solved, the opacity was set at 1%. I don't know how that happened but it's fixed now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Gotta love this purple place!

Lynda

thankyou! thankyou! Problem is solved, the opacity was set at 1%. I don't know how that happened but it's fixed now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Gotta love this purple place!

Lynda

YAY! Glad you got it fixed!

Lynda

Yeah! So glad it's working for you now! I agree - I love this purple place! So many helpful friends around when you're in a bind. :)

Oh, Gayle - me too! I meant to say that I've learned whenever I have a problem to first check I'm on the right layer! Ditto to all the praise for this kind and helpful purple place.

And, I sure do learn a lot every time someone asks a question. :D

Archived