A Suggestion For Designers

Peggy S

I have to say that I don't remember a period of time that lasted so long that designers were using one color so very much, but I have to tell you all that I am really tired of washed out lavender- whole kits of washed out lavender. In fact monochrome kits seem to be popular now, but white and pale lavender is just so unappealing to me personally. I'll be glad when this phase is over. But maybe I should be glad that I am saving money right now. My hard drive is pretty full of ScrapGirls products already! I love your stuff most of the time, but felt like I had to give my input in case others feel this way.

Your newsletter is still by far the best, and you still have wonderful designers.

I guess that's one trend that I must have missed out on! LOL! The good thing about trends is that they all come and go. And some people will like them and some will not. And I happen to know that there are some very "not pale lavender and white" things to be on the lookout for coming soon to a Boutique near you ...

I appreciate your input, Peggy, and I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share it! As a designer, it's nice to hear feedback from our customers so that we know if we're on target or not. Thanks!

Peggy, I know what you mean about trends and how it seems like we get smothered with one sort of thing for awhile and then something new comes along to break us out of the rut. And I always seem out of sync with whatever the latest trend is. When I want pastels, dark, bold colors seem in style and when I want dark and bold, primary colors are in style. Its the same with clothes shopping. But there always are new things coming along and as the seasons change so will the products. Just keep saving and sooner or later, just exactly what you want will show up.

Peggy, overall, I hadn't noticed such a predominant streak of white and pale lavender. While there have been some for spring that included soft pastels or lavender, I think there's also been a lot of contrast.

I wonder if your computer monitor's color guns are failing. I have one old monitor at work that has a weak green, and so everything tends to lavender slightly, and it's never as bright or crisp as the monitor next to it. Maybe worth having it checked with a standard color palette sample?

Durin, your designs are always rich and textured. You even get lots of contrasts in your monochrome kits which are not washed out at all! :-). I'm glad you designers are not taking offense. It is just my preference, as you have said. And this trend has not just been here. I have seen it elsewhere too. My favorites are contrasty colors. I like pastels ok, but then I need lots of texture or interesting patterns. And I guess I'm not a fan of light lavendar, or even too much light pink. I do like plum. I love golds, oranges, greens, browns and teal.

No offense at all, Peggy! It helps us to hear what all of you like so we can design accordingly. :) I enjoy working with richer, or more vibrant colors ~ it's hard for me to not use orange or aqua in a collection ~ or lime! Something about those colors just makes me smile. :)

hmmm... I hadn't noticed that trend either. However, one thing that has impressed me from the beginning here - if someone asks for something in particular, there will usually be a designer that will make it real.

Peggy, another thought for you...scrapsimple....the greyscale things you can color to your own preference. You still get the great patterns and textures, but you choose the colors. Another thing I learned to do was to use color adjustments to make a paper or embellishment darker, lighter, more or less saturated, etc. In fact, I almost never leave anything the way it was sent now.

And please do post if you have specific requests. These designers are incredible about coming up with what we want. The more specific you are, the more it helps them.

Have to say, me too - miss the rich, vibrant colors and am not a fan of faded or washed-out kits and colors -- which seems to be more of a trend lately in most places.

It's my preference, but find I really am drawn to more contrast and vibrant hues as opposed to muted ones -- so that's the ones I look for.

I like monotone, I like neutral and I like white... but I really don't like pastel... so for me white and neutral colours are fine - lots you can do with neutrals and whites, but pastel? Nope... I struggle with pastel especially as I have boys that are getting older... pastel does nothing for me and I avoid kits with pastel.... Even pastel blue... with boys 8 and almost 11 even pale blue is too babyish most times... and lavender?? Never, lol... Neutrals can still be strongly coloured but wishy washy pastel - no thanks! Interesting thread Peggy, got me thinking :-)

However, one thing that has impressed me from the beginning here - if someone asks for something in particular, there will usually be a designer that will make it real.

Exactly Elisha!! We have such awesome designers that listen to the wants and needs of "the people". ;) I love that we can suggest and request things! Can't wait to see what they have in store this week!!

In wandering the shelves in the boutique here at Scrap Girls, I'm seeing no shortage of bright, vibrant color schemes.

A lot of folks do like pastels, and I see a lot of that too!

I'd be interested to know where you think something is missing. Do you like the color scheme of one collection, but wish it was a different theme? Do you like the theme of another collection, but wish it was in a different color scheme?

I'm a very visual learner. I'd like to see posts with images or links to things you like - and wish there were more of! (Scrap Girls products only, please)

I guess purple is just the popular color! I'm working on something colorful now, but I must confess, it will contain some purple! However, if it turns out as I hope, it will definitely not be pastel!

Peggy thank you so much for sharing your feelings with us, as Durin has said, we love hearing feedback from our customers.

I must have missed the lavender trend so I will take your word for it but, as Elisha has said, there is so much variation in our boutique as well as wonderful designers who are more than happy to accommodate our customers needs that I am sure you will find something inspiring soon that will make you smile and scrap, a lot, ;)

please keep your comments coming, we love knowing what our customers want

I have used light lavender some lately because I like it, and it goes so well with Heritage photo layouts. I also like deep tones. Usually I tend to change colors on most papers and elements to suit my mood or needs, so I haven't noticed many collections with light lavender. We need some lighter tones for the black and white photos, but darker colors for other things. It's all there for everyone to pick and choose, re-color, or blend. Our great designers give us such a variety. There are some designer who prefer the bolder colors and textures and some who seem to prefer the light natural tones.

You have some very nice layouts, and I've left love on some of them. I've noticed you also have used a variety of colors, tones, etc. I think that is natural and you are able to decide which you prefer. For me, I like them all, and like the song"I want it all."

I look around on other sites, and have some collections and freebies from other designers, but seldom use them now that I'm "entrenched" here at Scrapgirls.:P

Have fun!

Peggy,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We always love to get feedback from our customers. ;) I'm not seeing a lot of pale purple collections in our Boutique. Were you talking about specific Scrap Girls collections or as more industry-wide related?<3 If you have any specific product requests, just post them in our forum. If there's a collection that you really like, but it's the pale shades you're talking about, perhaps the designer can rework it into a more vibrant color palette. We're very flexible here.

"If there's a collection that you really like, but it's the pale shades you're talking about, perhaps the designer can rework it into a more vibrant color palette."

Great idea, Katherine! :)

I guess I'll put my two cents in, too. Once my grandsons reached seven years old there was wasn't much to buy for their pages. Every few months I'd look in the botique only to find more baby things (darling as they could be) and more things for young boys and girls, flowers, ribbons, luscious papers, baby toys, pastel things. Then the boys turned 8, 9, 10, etc. and now they are 16, 17. Yes, I used what I could (plaids, manly frames, bats, soccer balls, graduation) but gave up a couple of years ago. Let's face it, little girls and babies are sure more fun to do! So now I pace around the house with nothing to do. LOL :hit-head-with-hammer:

Thanks for listening, you designers are really talented!

Still depressed about it,

Butternut

Are you saying that you can't find collections to scrap with for the older kids - or that it's just not as fun scrapping those photos? Are you depressed that you can't find the collections that you want or that the kids are growing up?

Hi Elibar,

I had a reply all ready to go and I hit some key by mistake so it's all gone. Next time I compose a reply I'll save it somewhere. I'll get back to you soon.

Butternut

Hate when that happens! I look forward to your reply.

I have to agree with butternut...there's not much for teens...I remember an older retired collection, and I think I have it, but now that the grands are getting older, the usual kid stuff is not as suitable. Maybe a nice big middle school/high school collection or 2 or 3 would be nice. and lots to do with all the extra curricular activities (not just sports) that kids do i.e. DDG is captain of the forensics team, drill team, drama, school newspaper, etc...oh yeah, honor society too. I was big into band, orchestra, jazz band, latin club (stop laughing, I won the latin award....talk about NERD). There is so much kids do and even though it embarrasses them tremendously, all of us proud parents and grandparents take as many pics as we can. I have pics from my HS days that I would like to scrap someday. There's a whole bunch of stuff like that we could use collections for.

I have to agree with butternut...there's not much for teens...I remember an older retired collection, and I think I have it, but now that the grands are getting older, the usual kid stuff is not as suitable. Maybe a nice big middle school/high school collection or 2 or 3 would be nice. and lots to do with all the extra curricular activities (not just sports) that kids do i.e. DDG is captain of the forensics team, drill team, drama, school newspaper, etc...oh yeah, honor society too. I was big into band, orchestra, jazz band, latin club (stop laughing, I won the latin award....talk about NERD). There is so much kids do and even though it embarrasses them tremendously, all of us proud parents and grandparents take as many pics as we can. I have pics from my HS days that I would like to scrap someday. There's a whole bunch of stuff like that we could use collections for.

I agree with Sandi. Unfortunately, my poor children did not inherit a physique that is conducive to athleticism. At this age, they still try, but they go to a magnet school for the gifted and academically talented. Watching them play is like the stereotypical jocks versus nerds. Once we get into middle school and high school, I'm pretty sure they're going to get tired of being pummeled. (Well, maybe not #2, he's had enough success with non-contact sports, that he might keep trying...maybe.) :rolleyes:

I have Durin's Extreme Teen Collection and love it. I'm a very vibrant scrapper. It would be great to find Collections that are vibrant, boy themed collections for Dance (yes, #3 son LOVES to dance), orchestra, Jazz band, Invention Camp, Quiz Bowl, Math Quest, etc.

However, until stuff like that has a demand more than Sandi and me, and until I have a fortune to by all new collections, I just recolor and adjust what I do have. That is the joy of PSE and PS over paper scrapping. Nothing has to stay they way it comes. :D

lol, IMHO, nerds are the new jocks. I would TOTALLY buy a nerdy kid collection. Don't know if I could design one though. I do have some science fair pics that I've never scrapped. That would make a fun collection.

I guess I'll put my two cents in, too. Once my grandsons reached seven years old there was wasn't much to buy for their pages. Every few months I'd look in the botique only to find more baby things (darling as they could be) and more things for young boys and girls, flowers, ribbons, luscious papers, baby toys, pastel things. Then the boys turned 8, 9, 10, etc. and now they are 16, 17. Yes, I used what I could (plaids, manly frames, bats, soccer balls, graduation) but gave up a couple of years ago. Let's face it, little girls and babies are sure more fun to do! So now I pace around the house with nothing to do. LOL :hit-head-with-hammer:

Thanks for listening, you designers are really talented!

Still depressed about it,

Butternut

__

I'll admit there are fewer kits for the 'tween years, but you can change colors, grunge it up with brushes, layers. don't give up, just create your own looks using what's out there.:D Masks are good for the teens too.

I agree that we need a little more for teens that isn't about sports or even grunge. Teens come in all kinds. I also agree that things can be re-colored, and I do that. I did buy a science kit once, but the graphics are too cute for teens. We can use the every day types of kits for teens, but maybe collections of "nerdy" interests can be designed and celebrated. Various musical instruments, science, math (beyond grade school stuff), word art for those of us into good books, debate, etc. It doesn't have to be whole kits. They could be special interest embellishment sets. I don't need papers with little books all over them, for instance. Also, maybe a generic political sort of kit would be good. We have some good patriotic ones, but ones about citizenship, voting, etc. would be good for those of us who want to record our particular view of what is going on in the world. Not partisan themes. Meanwhile, I snag images from Bing to fill in gaps at times.

Archived