Raw Vs Dng

SandiC.

Ok, I'm trying to decide which way I want to go with this. I use both LR4 and Adobe Camera Raw and have the choice about saving my RAW photos. I really hate the xmp files that just seem to clutter up my HD and I take so many photos that even a little larger file adds up pretty fast. Having a non-proprietary file seems like a good idea and I think its been around long enough that it will last into the future, but still, I get a little nervous changing the format. Does anyone have any reason they wouldn't use dng? I'm really leaning that way and I'm learning that many of the pros are using this format now. Appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Very good question. I'm not sure. I'm leaning toward converting to DNG when I upload via Lightroom, after having read a little about it several months ago, but I stopped taking raw photos a couple of months ago because I wanted to focus on just getting good exposures straight out of camera for a while. I'll be following this thread! Thanks!

Very good question. I'm not sure. I'm leaning toward converting to DNG when I upload via Lightroom, after having read a little about it several months ago, but I stopped taking raw photos a couple of months ago because I wanted to focus on just getting good exposures straight out of camera for a while. I'll be following this thread! Thanks!

I'm leaning toward .dng as well, but wanted a little confirmation that's the way to go. My camera shoots RAW+jpg and so I have the camera's computer to compare against my eye and instant prints or posts. I save the RAW files in a different folder. Those are the ones I'm thinking of changing into .dng in addition to the new ones.

From what DH has read, .dng was created by Adobe and there are no disadvantages to using it that he could find. Especially since you are using Adobe products for your photo editing.

That's what I'm thinking too and I think Adobe will be around forever...I hope

From what DH has read, .dng was created by Adobe and there are no disadvantages to using it that he could find. Especially since you are using Adobe products for your photo editing.

I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that there are no disadvantages to using it that he could find. Especially since you are using Adobe products for your photo editing.

• 7 months later...

DNG would be the way to go. DNG is an open format so what is good about that is if Adobe 'was' to disappear you can still open all your files in other editiors and NOT be locked to Adobe, Apple, Canon, Nikon or any companys standard format. DNG also offers a slight compression for smaller files WITHOUT loss so that is a win win as well.

Archived