Making The Switch From Pse To Picasa

sis313

My very first post-YIKES! After reading many posts, I want to move all my scrapping supplies from the PSE organizer to Picasa because all I am do is organizing supplies instead of scrapping! Do I understand correctly: My supplies will be organized in Picasa, but I would still using PSE to create the scrapbook pages? I was planning to keep my pictures in the PSE organizer. Or should I move my pictures to Picasa also? Thanks, in advance, for any and all help/advice you can offer! :-)

All your photos and supplies will remain in PSE organiser. Once you install Picasa it will detect all image files on your computer, including any EHD. It will not move anything, all your supplies and photos will be in the same folders that they are in on your computer. On windows your photos are usually in My Photos.

Hope this helps a bit.

All your photos and supplies will remain in PSE organiser. Once you install Picasa it will detect all image files on your computer, including any EHD. It will not move anything, all your supplies and photos will be in the same folders that they are in on your computer. On windows your photos are usually in My Photos.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sorry, I forgot to answer that bit.

You create your pages in PSE.

To get your item to open in PSE, while viewing in Picasa, I right click on an item then choose open with. If you want to add multiple items, I right click then choose locate on disk. This will open a window for that folder, you can then drag your items straight from there to the PSE window. Of course you can use the open command in PSE, if you know where the item you want is located.

Picasa is just for viewing your images. It's great for searching your supplies, for example a ribbon, or a colour.

Hope that makes sense.

Sorry, I forgot to answer that bit.

You create your pages in PSE.

To get your item to open in PSE, while viewing in Picasa, I right click on an item then choose open with. If you want to add multiple items, I right click then choose locate on disk. This will open a window for that folder, you can then drag your items straight from there to the PSE window. Of course you can use the open command in PSE, if you know where the item you want is located.

Picasa is just for viewing your images. It's great for searching your supplies, for example a ribbon, or a colour.

Hope that makes sense.

That's just how I do it. I have my photos organized in PSE, and I use Picasa to organize my supplies. And I use either PSE or Photoshop to scrap. I've thought about using Picasa for my photos, but it works for me to have the two programs - and then I can have two windows open - one for my supplies and one for my photos. That saves me from having to scroll up and down in Picasa between supplies and photos.

And FYI ---- you CAN move your element directly from Picasa to PSE via drag and drop. You just have to drag it into the PSE workspace sideways. I work with PSE/Photoshop at full screen. I have Picasa open but toggled to "restore down." I keep the size of the window to about half width and to the right so that when Picasa is open on top PSE/PS, I can see my workspace. When I find the item I want, I grab it from Picasa, drag it sideways to the left, and drop it into my workspace, and it opens up just fine.

I use Picasa for my scrapping supplies and PSE for my photos too. You can tell Picasa which folders you want it to search by going to Tools> Folder Management. That way you can have it just search your supplies folders.

To add to what Elisha said about dragging and dropping from Picasa into PSE, when you click on an item in the view window, it shows up down in the left corner of the program. I drag that image into PSE, sideways to the left as Elisha mentioned. You don't have to drag quite as far from there.

And, I'll add my welcome too!

Thanks for the Welcome :-), and I can see that I am going to be setting my windows up exactly like you described! Thanks for the description of that. I have time to play this evening...cross your fingers!

I use Picasa for my scrapping supplies and PSE for my photos too. You can tell Picasa which folders you want it to search by going to Tools> Folder Management. That way you can have it just search your supplies folders.

To add to what Elisha said about dragging and dropping from Picasa into PSE, when you click on an item in the view window, it shows up down in the left corner of the program. I drag that image into PSE, sideways to the left as Elisha mentioned. You don't have to drag quite as far from there.

And, I'll add my welcome too!

i know exactly what you are talking about--it's that little clipboard like area! Oh, I am getting really pumped up to play and scrap tonight. I just have a feeling might actually get to scrap instead of spending all my time organizing and tagging! YEAH! Thank you for you help--all of you!

BTW--my name is actually Chrisi :-) Need to change that on my little ID thing!

i know exactly what you are talking about--it's that little clipboard like area! Oh, I am getting really pumped up to play and scrap tonight. I just have a feeling might actually get to scrap instead of spending all my time organizing and tagging! YEAH! Thank you for you help--all of you!

Hi Chrisi :waving-hi: Welcome to Scrap Girls! Do you mean you want to change your screen name from sis313 to Chrisi? If so, you will need to contact April and she can change it for you. Or, you could leave it sis313 and just create a signature with your name which will show up at the bottom of your posts like a lot of other members have. If you need help with creating a siggie (signature), let us know. We'll be happy to help. :)

Picasa is wonderful for searching on keywords. You seldom need to tag anything from Scrap Girls because of the naming convention. And Picasa knows colors, amazinly enough. I'm always discovering things I'd forgotten I had with Picasa. :)

And I wanted to add my Welcome to Scrap Girls! Don't hesitate to ask questions. Others out there will be wondering the same thing, and they'll all be glad you asked.

I really like Picasa for searching for things. But make sure you let it know which files you want included or it will search through all sorts of places on your computer. As Pat has shared above : tools - folder management. You need to make sure what you do not want included has a red cross beside and do not be hesitant about clicking - remove from Picasa as it does not remove anything from your computer.

I haven't made that switch to Picasa yet but I'm seriously thinking about doing it since so many of you Scrap Girls seem to like it so much. Anyway, my question is: When you search for something, does it show you where it is housed so you can go back and look at the sample layouts that was included with the download? Sometime I like to see an example of how the item was used to give me some ideas.

I haven't made that switch to Picasa yet but I'm seriously thinking about doing it since so many of you Scrap Girls seem to like it so much. Anyway, my question is: When you search for something, does it show you where it is housed so you can go back and look at the sample layouts that was included with the download? Sometime I like to see an example of how the item was used to give me some ideas.

do you keep the sample layouts in the folder with your supplies? If so, it will show the layouts. You tell picasa which folders you want it to show, and it will give you an image of everything in those folders. And since the name of the product used for the layout should be in the file name of the layout (it will be with ScrapGirls - but it may be with an abbreviation or a condensed name. i.e. Butterfly Effects = ButterflyFX or Elephants Fly = ElephantsFly), it will be searchable. You can also right-click on the image in picasa and chose from the menu "file location" and the folder containing the item will open up.

Great. Thanks, Elisha. Yes, I do keep the sample layouts in the folder with my supplies. So - - even if the name of the product is abbreviated (such as ElephantsFly, ButterflyFX), and you search for elephant or butterfly, Picasa will still find it? I guess I'm just kind of worried that it won't find everything.

Great. Thanks, Elisha. Yes, I do keep the sample layouts in the folder with my supplies. So - - even if the name of the product is abbreviated (such as ElephantsFly, ButterflyFX), and you search for elephant or butterfly, Picasa will still find it? I guess I'm just kind of worried that it won't find everything.

Yes, it will find it. The only problem with searching that I've found - and it's not exclusive to Picasa - is with those condensed file names where the main descriptor isn't first in the string. For example, Syndee's Very Vintage paper templates. In the file name, it's SSPaper_VeryVintage. Consequently, a search for "vintage" will not return the templates. A quick and simple solution to this is to rename the folder after I download it. Add a quick hyphen so the folder is named SNU_SSPaper_Very-Vintage. It's only necessary to rename the folder, not individual files, since the search will return things according to folder names as well. With the descriptors in the name broken with the hyphen, the paper templates will now show up in a search for "vintage."

And as previously mentioned - Picasa can "see" color. So a search for your basic color names will return things that color, even if it's not in the file name. Cool, huh?

Hi Chrisi :waving-hi: Welcome to Scrap Girls! Do you mean you want to change your screen name from sis313 to Chrisi? If so, you will need to contact April and she can change it for you. Or, you could leave it sis313 and just create a signature with your name which will show up at the bottom of your posts like a lot of other members have. If you need help with creating a siggie (signature), let us know. We'll be happy to help. :)

Yes, I would love to create a signature! Woo-hoo! Is it very difficult? I would welcome your help with it... :-)

You'll find some step-by-step instructions here:

Post #2 by Jster025 The first part is about actually making the siggie in PSE and the second part is about uploading to the Signature Gallery and adding to the Message Board so it will show up in your posts. Let us know if you need more help. :)

do you keep the sample layouts in the folder with your supplies? If so, it will show the layouts. You tell picasa which folders you want it to show, and it will give you an image of everything in those folders. And since the name of the product used for the layout should be in the file name of the layout (it will be with ScrapGirls - but it may be with an abbreviation or a condensed name. i.e. Butterfly Effects = ButterflyFX or Elephants Fly = ElephantsFly), it will be searchable. You can also right-click on the image in picasa and chose from the menu "file location" and the folder containing the item will open up.

I have so much to learn! :-) I have been keeping all my sample layouts in one big folder--all lumped together and hard to find when I need them! I never thought about putting the sample layouts in with the supplies! You guys are so darn on top of all this! LOL! I am loving having you all to visit with about all this--THANK YOU!!! I am a lone digi-scrapper among traditional scrappers. Maybe if I add that folder to picasa, it will search that folder and bring up the sample layouts within that folder along with the supplies folders. Could I get that lucky?

• 2 months later...

Hi there my name is Karen I havent' had a chance to go and introduce myself. I was lurking all over the net looking for somewhere to organize my stuff and came across this thread and have been reading my tail off. I am using Picasa and love it. But have one question that can't seem to find an answer to. I have made tags and have tagged everything but noticed that on some of them I have flower and I have flowers...yea I don't know why but is there anyway to see the list of tags I have or be able to combine a couple of tags into one tag before I delete the other tag and then have to search for the untagged flower or flowers??? Thank you so much for this thread...it has been one of the most informative threads that i have come across...Now I just have to find my way into the other parts....

Karen

Archived