Making The Switch From Pse To Picasa

sis313

Hi there my name is Karen I havent' had a chance to go and introduce myself. I was lurking all over the net looking for somewhere to organize my stuff and came across this thread and have been reading my tail off. I am using Picasa and love it. But have one question that can't seem to find an answer to. I have made tags and have tagged everything but noticed that on some of them I have flower and I have flowers...yea I don't know why but is there anyway to see the list of tags I have or be able to combine a couple of tags into one tag before I delete the other tag and then have to search for the untagged flower or flowers??? Thank you so much for this thread...it has been one of the most informative threads that i have come across...Now I just have to find my way into the other parts....

Karen

Hi, Karen! Welcome! I haven't been much for tagging, but I hope someone will respond to you on this one. This will, at least, bump it back up to the top!

Hi there my name is Karen I havent' had a chance to go and introduce myself. I was lurking all over the net looking for somewhere to organize my stuff and came across this thread and have been reading my tail off. I am using Picasa and love it. But have one question that can't seem to find an answer to. I have made tags and have tagged everything but noticed that on some of them I have flower and I have flowers...yea I don't know why but is there anyway to see the list of tags I have or be able to combine a couple of tags into one tag before I delete the other tag and then have to search for the untagged flower or flowers??? Thank you so much for this thread...it has been one of the most informative threads that i have come across...Now I just have to find my way into the other parts....

Karen

Hi Karen! Welcome to SG! I haven't got an answer to your question, but I have the same problem and will now be watching to see if anyone knows how to fix it. Hope to see you around the other parts of the forum.

I have made tags and have tagged everything

Having looked at this thread I gave Picasa ago for my supplies, but found it harder to tag things than in PSE. One of the things I like about PSE is you can have an hierarchy for the tags so I have Layout template and then below it 1,2,3 etc for how many pictures it will take. I felt this was clumsy in Picasa and went back to PSE.

How did you go about your tagging? Do you have any tips?

Hi all,

Such an interesting thread. I've been using Picasa for about a year now and have just learned something new! (The drag and drop thing.)

I use Picasa just for my supplies. I love that it allows for searches of colours and yes, it is true that as many of the supplies are already named to make searches easy. However, some suplies aren't named so I do use tags: I've created some quick tags that group items like "clusters, swirls and scatters" or "fastenings" and include buttons, clips, staples and so on. What I haven't found is a way to remove tags from the drop down list that is created when tags are added using the field at the top of the tag side panel. If I ever find a way, I'll be back.

I also use the folder description to record things such as where I bought the suplly, how much it cost and whether it's for personal or commercial use. Everything typed into the description can be searched on as well.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally took the plunge and downloaded Picasa. I noticed that when I search for "papers", I get my papers plus things like layout examples. I want to see the layout examples that use the embellishments that I am searching for but I don't want to see them when I am searching for papers. Can I fix that somehow? (I also get things like paperclips.)

How do you add an external hard drive to your search? I opened my wireless EHD but when I click on Tools, Folder Manager, I get the colored wheel and it says Picasa is not responding. It doesn't do that if I don't have the external hard drive opened. (It's wireless, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks.

OK, I finally took the plunge and downloaded Picasa. I noticed that when I search for "papers", I get my papers plus things like layout examples. I want to see the layout examples that use the embellishments that I am searching for but I don't want to see them when I am searching for papers. Can I fix that somehow? (I also get things like paperclips.)

How do you add an external hard drive to your search? I opened my wireless EHD but when I click on Tools, Folder Manager, I get the colored wheel and it says Picasa is not responding. It doesn't do that if I don't have the external hard drive opened. (It's wireless, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks.

Everything that's in an images EXIF (under Caption) is also searched. It all depends on how much information the designers added to the EXIF.

Picasa is the same as nearly all search engines, it looks for every instance of the word even if it's only part of a bigger word.

I usually search for more specific things than paper, so this doesn't happen very often to me.

• 1 month later...

Thanks.

I Deb, I don't know if you've had an answer to this. I have no trouble getting Picasa to scan my external hard drive - but it's not wireless, so that might be the issue. Can you plug in the EHD and try again just to see if Picasa can find it then?

Archived