Pacific Northwest

I had hoped to have things together enough to host a PNW meetup at our house this June during the peak rose bloom season. Life is getting in the way (some good things - DH is actually making lots of slow progress!). But if any of you are passing exit 5 on I-5 in Washington, and have a little extra time, you're welcome to come by and take pictures of our roses. Bring a bucket and clippers, too, and you can take a bunch home to enjoy. If you're interested, PM me for directions. And if I'm available, I'd love to show you around. We're going to have some company in the next couple of weeks. The roses actually continue to bloom off and on till frost, but the June bloom is definitely showy.

I only wish I lived close enough to come by and see you and Michel and your roses, Gayle! Maybe one day.......one year! NC is a loooooong way away!

They do have lots of fragrance (and blackspot, aphids and occasional rust). Most of them are the English roses - antique roses hybridized with newer ones to keep the look and scent of the old roses but repeat blooming.

Gayle, I'll make a mental note to make June "the month" if we are able to vacation in your direction someday!

June can be iffy for weather, though. It's been cool and rainy the last week or so. Portland has a big Rose Festival during the first half of June, and the joke is it always rains on the parade.

Archived