Thursday Challenge 06/14/12

PBarnes

Last week I started the Thursday Challenges for the month of June with emphasis on using Lines, one of the Elements of Art. Since there are six or seven elements of art (depending on your source for information) I'll be combining some of them.

Today, we are going to focus on using Texture and Color. From Wikipedia:

Texture - The texture is the quality of a surface or the way any work of art is represented. Lines and shading can be used to create different textures as well. For example, if one is portraying certain fabrics, one needs to give the feeling of the right texture so that it closely resembles what the artist is trying to convey. It can be implied or real.

Color - Color pertains to the use of hue in artwork and design. Defined as primary colors (red, yellow, blue) which cannot be mixed in pigment from other hues, secondary colors (green, orange, violet) which are directly mixed from combinations of primary colors. Further combinations of primary and secondary colors create tertiary (and more) hues. Tint and Shade are references to adding variations in Value; other tertiary colors are derived by mixing either a primary or secondary color with a neutral color. e.g. Red + White = Pink.

In my layout, I used a paper and a ScrapSimple Paper Template to mimic the concrete that is prominent in the photos but I didn't make it the same color. That would have been boring, in my opinion. I used colors from the photo for my palette, using a mostly monochrome range of purples with the red accent color.

You don't have to focus on both elements if you don't want to, but when you think about it, you usually use more than one or even all of the elements of art to create a layout!

Post your layouts in the General Message Board gallery.

Here's mine - Zoom Zoom Zoe

Thanks for the descriptions of the Color and Texture. I think this layout works with the Texture aspect with the painted texture of the the Lifeguard Stand and the roughness of the sandy beach and for the Color aspect I stuck to the colors from the Lifeguard Stand, teal, red and sand through the layout.

Lifeguard Station

Thanks for the descriptions of the Color and Texture. I think this layout works with the Texture aspect with the painted texture of the the Lifeguard Stand and the roughness of the sandy beach and for the Color aspect I stuck to the colors from the Lifeguard Stand, teal, red and sand through the layout.

Lifeguard Station

Your link takes me to HTTP.Com, not your layout.

Lifeguard Station

Your link takes me to HTTP.Com, not your layout.

I found the right link, Carol. Here's Cheryllaann's layout: lifeguard station

Archived