How Do You Create Rounded Corners In Photo Shop

I really like the look of rounded corners. I finally got to the point in Ro's Secrets where she addresses this, but I am having no luck. I select the rounded rectangle tool and draw the rectangle OK, but then I am supposed to rasterize it. But rasterize is grayed out so I am unable to do that step. I must be missing something but I've watched the movie over and over and I don't see what it is. Oh, and I bought the corner rounder action because I figured I'd be using it a lot but the instructions say just to drag it from your computer to your workspace and that isn't working either. Any help would be much appreciated. You guys are the greatest!

Hi Kathy, I don't have PS, but according to the instructions for PS on page 62 in the handbook: Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook) , when you drag the action to your workspace, you are installing the action. With either PS or PSE, once the action is installed, you have to make a direct selection on the photo you are trying to round the corners of. To do this, hold down the CTRL key and click on the thumbnail image in the photo layer, this will put marching ants around the photo, then click on the chosen action and click apply. Maybe someone else will come along with more PS specific information for you. HTH

Make sure you have the ATN file (though it will work with brushes, styles, patterns and shapes too). You just drag it into the open workspace. I've done it in several versions of photoshop. After you drag it in, go to the Action panel on the right and it should be the last one there. Another way to install it is to go to the action panel on the right side of the workspace and click the little arrow at the top right. Choose Load Actions from the drop down menu and navigate to your action. (It doesn't need to be in the presets, but that is the first place it will go to). I hope that helps!

Also make sure you don't have a text layer active or a transformation active in your page. You won't be able to install anything until it is finalized.

April - thanks for pointing out the Action panel. Turns out that it actually was loaded. Every time I dragged it, it popped away so I thought it wasn't being dragged onto the workspace but it is listed under Actions. Now I just need to figure out how to use it :(

and Photoshop just "acts like it's dead or sleeping" if you have not clicked the check mark on a transform (PSE) or pressed Enter. Can't tell you how many times I've dragged quite a few things to the workspace only to find nothing is there, until I ACCEPT the transformation in progress. :unsure:

April - thanks for pointing out the Action panel. Turns out that it actually was loaded. Every time I dragged it, it popped away so I thought it wasn't being dragged onto the workspace but it is listed under Actions. Now I just need to figure out how to use it :(

Kathy, you might want to try this: Once the action is installed, you have to make a direct selection on the photo you are trying to round the corners of. To do this, hold down the CTRL key and click on the thumbnail image in the photo layer, this will put marching ants around the photo, then click on the chosen action and click apply. HTH

There are usually instructions for specific actions with the download, but to use it, you just click on the little arrow next to the set of actions to see the different options, choose one and click the play button at the bottom of the actions panel. Some actions will stop and give you options or instructions and others will play straight through.

I got the marching ants around the pic. Then I go up to the actions folder and click on the action? Where do I find "apply". Sorry, I am real new to PS - I know I am lucky to have it but it is a little intimidating. I keep hearing about "apply transformation?" and I don't get that dialog. I just double click on the image when I am done. I am using CS3.

Kathy, have you tried this suggestion from April?

There are usually instructions for specific actions with the download, but to use it, you just click on the little arrow next to the set of actions to see the different options, choose one and click the play button at the bottom of the actions panel. Some actions will stop and give you options or instructions and others will play straight through.

Teecee- Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was so frustrated! I guess April's suggestion just came before I was at the point to understand where I was. I am so ecstatic. Scrap Girls makes me SO HAPPY! This is the best place. What I really regret is that I didn't find you guys years ago because I have wanted to do this for at least 5 years ago but I kept getting discouraged. Now.. I am encouraged! Thanks to all of you for jumping in there with your suggestions! (PS I am still frustrated that I can not rasterize the selected rounded rectangle shape so if any PS pros can tell me about that I would like to know what to do!)

Teecee- Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was so frustrated! I guess April's suggestion just came before I was at the point to understand where I was. I am so ecstatic. Scrap Girls makes me SO HAPPY! This is the best place. What I really regret is that I didn't find you guys years ago because I have wanted to do this for at least 5 years ago but I kept getting discouraged. Now.. I am encouraged! Thanks to all of you for jumping in there with your suggestions! (PS I am still frustrated that I can not rasterize the selected rounded rectangle shape so if any PS pros can tell me about that I would like to know what to do!)

YIPPEE!! :party-smiley-048: So happy it's working for you now!!

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you about not being able to rasterize the shape. I know how to do that in PSE, but not PS. Maybe someone else will be able to help you with that part of it... ;)

After you have created the shape, right on the shape layer in the layers panel. "Rasterize Layer" should be one of the choices in the pop-up. The thing about right clicking on the layers in the layers panel is you can get a different pop-up menu depending on where you right click on the layer. If you right click on the style, you'll get the styles pop-up, if you right click on the thumbnail, you'll get a pop-up with options for that. To get the Rasterize one to show up, you'll want to make sure you're right clicking on the layer name.

Hope that made sense.

When I right click on the layer, I see Rasterize Layer, but it is gray and I am unable to click on it. Maybe something is wrong with my Photoshop? My son thinks maybe so and next time he comes to visit he is going to update my version.

Archived