Trouble With Templates, Again

lorac

I don't know why I always have problems with SS Paper Templates. I'm following 'exactly' the steps for 'Create Unique Background Paper' and it's not working. I use PSE10 with Vista and the instructions are for CS2 with Windows XP. I think that is the problem right away.

I create a 12x12 300 dpi transparent document. I open the paper template, Realms of Glory 2 and I used template #1. I make a new layer and then I create a clipping mask. It's supposed to conform to the lacy shape of the paper template. It does not. Problem: There are three layers in the instructions view, I only have two layers. I activate the bottom transparent layer, choose the dark purple color, select the Paint Bucket Tool and then 'try' to fill the layer. A pop up window appears with the blending modes. There is no mention of this in the instructions.

What is the problem?????? I just get so frustrated when I follow the directions and nothing works. I think that there should be instructions for not only PS/CS but for PSE as well. This would help so that you don't get frustrated trying to use instructions for another software and not having them work.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh, Carol I'm sorry you are frustrated, but so glad you asked this question as I never can get paper templates to work, either so I mostly avoid them. I'll be watching this thread to see your answers, but in the meantime did you read the tutorial in yesterday's NL? I've saved it so haven't carefully read it yet, but I do see it was done with CS2.

Hopefully help will come along soon! :)

Carol I'm so sorry you are having problems with the template --- I have windows 7 and use PSE 6 as my go to scrapping program (I have CS too but that's another story - sorry) AND I don't have this particular template but let me see if I can help you out! I love templates and once you get the hang of them you will too!

"I make a new layer and then I create a clipping mask. It's supposed to conform to the lacy shape of the paper template. It does not." --- Carol when you create the new layer do you fill that layer with your color and then clip it? you need to fill the layer with color or a paper so that there is something in that layer to take on the lacy shape. I'm probably not explaining this correctly AND this might not be the problem BUT I'm sure there will be someone that will come along and help you out, please don't get discouraged :bighug:

I've tried following that tutorial and I can't get it to work out the way it's supposed to, the way it says will happen in the NL. I'm using CS4 extended and Windows 7. The only way I can get that lacy look is to create the clipping mask after I've filled the top layer with colour and then it looks flat and boring. I must be doing something wrong but I've tried and tried and cannot work out where I've made the mistake.

I've tried following that tutorial and I can't get it to work out the way it's supposed to, the way it says will happen in the NL. I'm using CS4 extended and Windows 7. The only way I can get that lacy look is to create the clipping mask after I've filled the top layer with colour and then it looks flat and boring. I must be doing something wrong but I've tried and tried and cannot work out where I've made the mistake.

Well, I feel better so far reading this thread knowing I"m not the only one who has trouble with paper template! :(

Once you clip the layer to the template then you will want to use your blending modes to give your paper character i.e. make it so that it isn't "flat and boring"

Gosh, Carol I'm sorry you are frustrated, but so glad you asked this question as I never can get paper templates to work, either so I mostly avoid them. I'll be watching this thread to see your answers, but in the meantime did you read the tutorial in yesterday's NL? I've saved it so haven't carefully read it yet, but I do see it was done with CS2.

Hopefully help will come along soon! :)

I used to shy away from them too but there are so many wonderful SS templates in the boutique that I kept on working through the learning curve AND it sure is worth it --- once you get the hang of it you'll be using them all the time!!!! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

As I recall, the blending step is vital. Even if you only make it partially transparent so the color shows through, but if you have blending options, you can get some awesome results. There should be a layer with the paper pattern and one with a color underneath. Hang in there, Carol.

All that Sherry has shared is correct. I just did some playing and if you have the color layer above the template and play around with the blending modes for that layer you get a deeper colour than if you place the color layer below the template.

That is how I do it too... I keep it simple tho as I only have PSE7... I create a new layer, fill that with colour THEN clip it to the template below and adjust the blending - overlay, soft light or screen are my fall backs... sometimes I duplicate for more depth if it needs it... try clipping a paper instead Carol... that fill bucket tool can be a pain! Good luck, let us know if it works... :-)

I'm trying your info now and I still come into a problem. After I create a new layer (blank, transparent) there is no way to add color to the layer. I tried making the bottom layer invisible, then I make the new layer active. Then I select the Paint Bucket Tool and click on the layer. The only thing that happens is that the blending mode box appears. Even if the bottom layer is visible, the blending mode box appears and nothing happens if you choose one of the modes.

In the tutorial, the 'larger view' shows three layers. I only have two. I don't understand. This is very frustrating. This is why I don't use my templates. I have a lot, I've spent a lot of money on them, but I always have problems with them.

Someone needs to sit down and do a tutorial for PSE and not just CS2.

I'm trying your info now and I still come into a problem. After I create a new layer (blank, transparent) there is no way to add color to the layer. I tried making the bottom layer invisible, then I make the new layer active. Then I select the Paint Bucket Tool and click on the layer. The only thing that happens is that the blending mode box appears. Even if the bottom layer is visible, the blending mode box appears and nothing happens if you choose one of the modes.

In the tutorial, the 'larger view' shows three layers. I only have two. I don't understand. This is very frustrating. This is why I don't use my templates. I have a lot, I've spent a lot of money on them, but I always have problems with them.

Someone needs to sit down and do a tutorial for PSE and not just CS2.

Carol, I just played with my PSE6 and here are the steps:

1. Create new document

2. Place or drag your paper template

3. Add new layer

*** Go to the top and click on Edit --- Fill Layer --- Then you can select your color to fill your layer

4. Clip this to your template and use your blending modes.

Let us know if this helps!

That worked, finally. Now why weren't these in the instructions to begin with. There is always a step or two left out of most of the tut's. This is very annoying and it drives me crazy. I get stressed out and then I can't do anything.

One more question: Since the tutorial says to use two colors, would I follow 'your' instructions again to create a new layer, etc. Do I have to merge the layers after it's all done?

I tried to create a new layer, but the two colors don't combine on one layer.

I give up.

That worked, finally. Now why weren't these in the instructions to begin with. There is always a step or two left out of most of the tut's. This is very annoying and it drives me crazy. I get stressed out and then I can't do anything.

One more question: Since the tutorial says to use two colors, would I follow 'your' instructions again to create a new layer, etc. Do I have to merge the layers after it's all done?

I tried to create a new layer, but the two colors don't combine on one layer.

I give up.

Carol, please don't get stressed! You said you have 2 layers correct? If so you would create a new layer above each of your other layers --- does that make sense?

Carol ~ I'm so sorry you are having trouble with the templates. We write tutorials for the programs we have purchased personally, and it would be prohibitive for us to purchase copies of all programs and versions, as they are far too expensive.

Here is a synopsis of the instructions, which may help you ~

1. Create a new 12x12 transparent document.

2. Open the paper template you want to use then duplicate it to the new document. Close your original paper template.

(At this point, you should have a transparent bottom layer then your template layer.)

3. Add a new transparent layer to the top of your template layer.

(You will now have three layers ~ transparent, template, transparent.)

4. Activate the top transparent layer and create a clipping mask. This will be done differently in different programs. Right clicking on that layer in the layers palette, and choosing "clipping mask" should work, if not look under the "layers" tab along the top of PS or PSE.

5. With that layer still activated, fill it with color.

6. Activate the bottom transparent layer and fill it with color.

I am not certain why you are unable to fill the layer with color ~ perhaps that layer is locked or there is a glitch in your program. I am puzzled by this, but I hope you are able to figure it out. I understand your frustration.

This is why I almost never use any of the SS products I buy all of the time. The tutorials don't work for me, or stop halfway through, leaving you saying"what next..." Very frustrating. One thing, on Scrapgirls everyone tries to help.;) Good luck, Carol. I'm putting off trying one for the project, because I know I will just get upset. I wonder if we could use one out of Secrets or More Secrets, instead of the university tutorials.

ScrapSimple produts are a huge value ~ and great time saver ~ once you get the hang of using them. One thing about Photoshop and PSE: there are many ways to achieve the same "action". For example, clipping masks can be achieved several different ways within each of the various programs. Consulting "help" along the top of your graphics program or posting a question here will help you get specific advise for your program.

Perhaps a numbered list, rather than a paragraph, would be a better format for the tutorials in the future.

I'm so sorry folks are struggling with these products. I've developed my own "go to" process rules that help me, regardless of the program being used:

For SSPaper with transparency, such as Realms of Glory:

Place color layer or finished paper on the bottom.

Place template on next layer up.

Place another paper or color layer above the template, and clip that color layer to the template. At this time, you'll see the bottom color layer, peeking around the template, through the transparent or semi-transparent areas.

Now, play with blending modes on topmost layer, and/or on template layer to bring out the texture and tune the color as desired.

For irregularly shaped SSPaper that's opaque, such as "Antiquities:"

Place another paper or color layer above the template, and clip the top color layer to the template. You'll only see the bottom color layer at the irregular edges.

Now, play with blending modes on topmost layer, and/or on template layer to bring out the texture and tune the color as desired.

For opaque, square, jpeg SSPapers, such as "Teal Zeal."

Place another paper or color layer above the template. No need to clip the top paper/layer to the template.

On the purely opaque SSPapers, you can often manage with just one color layer above OR below the template plus blending modes; it just depends.

Hope this helps!

p.s. Writing tutorials is tough. I've just gone back and tweaked the wording twice on the post above. I prefer tutorials that cover "process" such as the above, and separate tutorials on specific skills, such as "clipping a layer in program XYZ," or "Blending modes." Often, though, we have to combine both together, and then it gets messy. When we add just PS, PSE and PC/Mac steps for tasks, it's very hard to proof your tutorial.

When I was skating competitively, I still attended classes for beginners, and did "beginner exercises." Reiteration of the fundamentals really helped me improve my skills, even though I had been skating for many, many years. I think it's the same here...you just don't absorb everything on the first or second, or even third time through. If you haven't done so lately, download and work through the free ScrapSimple Handbook. Also open and poke through the User Guide for your own program, even if you think it's awful. I learn something new or the "aha" light goes for something on each time I go back to these. Just my 2 cents.

Something we need to keep in mind (and I agree SS products - actions are even worse for me than templates - can be really frustrating) is that everyone's brain is wired a little differently. The brain and skills that create a great designer may not be the same brain wiring and skills needed to write very detailed tutorials, especially for beginners. When we are extremely familiar with a subject, we may not even be aware of all the little steps, which results in some of them being omitted by the tutorial writer.

Have you ever heard of "Napoleon's Corporal?" one version goes

Napoleon recognized how vital it was to have an enlisted soldier in the planning process. During every Battle Plans briefing Napoleon would have a Corporal shine his boots knowing that the Corporal was listening. Once the General Staff finished the brief, Napoleon would look down at the Corporal and asked if he understood the plan. If the Corporal answered, Yes Sir! The General would have his Staff execute the plan. If the Corporal answered, No Sir! The General would have the General Staff rewrite the plan. (from Americanincite)

I think I've just re-stated what Barbara said. Perhaps the Scrap Simple Handbook could be modified to have more detailed tutorials for beginners, using the Napoleon's Corporal theory. That way each designer would not need to elaborate so much.

Carol ~ I'm so sorry you are having trouble with the templates. We write tutorials for the programs we have purchased personally, and it would be prohibitive for us to purchase copies of all programs and versions, as they are far too expensive.

Here is a synopsis of the instructions, which may help you ~

1. Create a new 12x12 transparent document.

2. Open the paper template you want to use then duplicate it to the new document. Close your original paper template.

(At this point, you should have a transparent bottom layer then your template layer.)

3. Add a new transparent layer to the top of your template layer.

(You will now have three layers ~ transparent, template, transparent.)

4. Activate the top transparent layer and create a clipping mask. This will be done differently in different programs. Right clicking on that layer in the layers palette, and choosing "clipping mask" should work, if not look under the "layers" tab along the top of PS or PSE.

5. With that layer still activated, fill it with color.

6. Activate the bottom transparent layer and fill it with color.

I am not certain why you are unable to fill the layer with color ~ perhaps that layer is locked or there is a glitch in your program. I am puzzled by this, but I hope you are able to figure it out. I understand your frustration.

I followed these directions and now I have three layers. Two filled with color (top and bottom layers) and one with the template (middle layer). Now how do I get the paper template colored with both colors?

Barbara ~ those are excellent guides for the paper templates! Thank you for posting them!! :)

Gayle ~ an excellent point!

Carol ~ it sounds as if you need to make a clipping mask with your top layer.

Barbara ~ those are excellent guides for the paper templates! Thank you for posting them!! :)

Gayle ~ an excellent point!

Carol ~ it sounds as if you need to make a clipping mask with your top layer.

I made a clipping mask with the top layer. I still end up with three layers: top layer colored, middle layer template and bottom layer color. What I want to know is how do I get the template colored with both colors.

I made a clipping mask with the top layer. I still end up with three layers: top layer colored, middle layer template and bottom layer color. What I want to know is how do I get the template colored with both colors.

Carol, Once you got to that point, did you try activating the top layer and playing with the blending modes?

I had my daughters (who sort of use Photoshop sometimes) proof the tutorial I am working on now, and they made me add two more screen shots for clarification of what I was writing. hit-head-with-hammer.gif Sometimes it is hard to gauge how specific to be when showing techniques. As I'm writing, I think "everyone already knows how to do this" but then, when I see a post like this I realize that even people who I think must already know everything would like more detailed instructions.

Thanks!

I've never really used PSE for scrapping because I started using Photoshop before the first version PSE even came out. While I've maneuvered through PSE before when helping people at the conventions, it is a lot harder for me to use since I learned on Photoshop. Funny thing is - when I first started scrapping, all the tutorials I had were written for PSE... I was thrilled when I found Ro's that were written for Photoshop.

I had my daughters (who sort of use Photoshop sometimes) proof the tutorial I am working on now, and they made me add two more screen shots for clarification of what I was writing. hit-head-with-hammer.gif Sometimes it is hard to gauge how specific to be when showing techniques. As I'm writing, I think "everyone already knows how to do this" but then, when I see a post like this I realize that even people who I think must already know everything would like more detailed instructions.

Thanks!

I've never really used PSE for scrapping because I started using Photoshop before the first version PSE even came out. While I've maneuvered through PSE before when helping people at the conventions, it is a lot harder for me to use since I learned on Photoshop. Funny thing is - when I first started scrapping, all the tutorials I had were written for PSE... I was thrilled when I found Ro's that were written for Photoshop.

Woohoo for you and your daughters April --- I used to train new systems in retail and one of the first things I did when I rec'd the manuals was to take it and go step by step as if I had never seen the system before --- you would be surprised how many times I had to add the simplest of steps that the writer of the manual had forgotten to include in the training materials. At one point there was going to be a complete new computer system roll-out and I was invited to the home office to be their "student trainee" because I had found so many problems with previous manuals!

Archived