Loading Brushes

momvetkat

Can anyone tell me how to place brushes I have purchased into Photoshop. I don't see it addressed in the ScrapSimple handbook (it looks like its all about Windows). I tried opening Photoshop and Brushes in the applications menu and dragging the files there, but that didn't work. Sorry, I am brand new to all of this.

I don't if I can explain this well but under the brush menu it says load brushes. just click on that and it will open a little window and you can navigate to where you brushes are. Click on your brush file and they will be added to your brushes menu. I'm sure I didn't explain it well but someone will be along who can explain it better.

Kelly

If you drag your brush file (the .abr file) into Photoshop, the brushes should be there.

Select the brush tool, and then go up and click the dropdown arrow to change the brush. Your new ones should be added at the end of the displayed palette. Note: Photoshop does not resize the scrollbars for its palette very well at all. You may need to drag the corner to force it to resize, then you can see the palette. Hope this helps!

You can also keep them in a folder with your other Scrap Girls supplies then when you want to use a particular brush you can select your brush > click on the brush dropdown menu > then click on the side dropdown arrow >load brushes --- that way you can load brushes as you need them, this is another just another option for you to try!

Here is the extent of how little I know - Barbara, when you talk about dragging the abr file into Photoshop, where, exactly do you mean? I tried dragging into the workspace and the applications files. I dragged the actions files I bought into the workspace and didn't realize it actually "landed" there until someone told me where to look. Can you tell me specifically "where" to drag? :)

Kathy, open Photoshop; you can start a new document or not. Open Windows Explorer to the folder where your brush is stored.

If Photoshop is maximized, click and drag the .ABR brush file to the Windows task bar and HOLD it over the PS symbol until PS "pops" forward. Keep holding the ABR file and slide into the GRAY space or over the document. The cursor changes from a pointer arrow to an arrow with a plus sign in a square box (when you're over a palette window, or to an arrow with a tooltip reading "+ COPY" over the workspace. Release the mouse in either location, and your brush has been added.

If Photoshop is not maximized, you may find it easier to drag the ABR file from the folder to the gray spaces. If you have recently resized something, make sure the transformation has been "accepted" by clicking return before your start this process. Otherwise, PS just "sits there."

Sorry...didn't realize you were on a MAC! Wouldn't you go into the Photoshop folder in Applications and find the Brushes folder in there? It's been a while since I've used a MAC, so I have no idea if I'm helping or hurting! :hit-head-with-hammer:

Thank you. That is exactly what I thought I was doing but the brush folder kept "bouncing" back out of the folder I was trying to drag it into. Will have to try again when I get home (I work out of town). Thanks everyone for your help. Guess I should have made it clear I was on a Mac.

Renee - thought you might want to know that I finally got the brushes loaded. It was a roundabout way since dragging the files into my brushes folder didn't work (probably because my brushes folder isn't under Presets where it is supposed to be). Anyway, if anyone ever has the same problem, I went into Preset Manager on PS and was able to load them from there. Thanks for your help! :)

• 2 weeks later...

On the dragging brushes (or any other tool) into Photoshop, it changed a little with CS6.

CS6 allows you to drag images into your open documents where they open as smart objects, soooo when you drag a brush into CS6, you need to aim for the gray area or it won't work right. (Because it can't open that type of file as a smart object). Dragging supplies directly into my layout is one of my favorite features though.

Archived