Monitor Calibration

Hi - I'm tentatively stepping out and having some of my photosenlarged and printed for framing. The on-line printing service I've been recommended says that for best results I should have my monitor's colours calibrated to ensure what gets printed is the same as what I see on screen. I'm told the free software is not up to the job but when I look at the gadget that the printing service recommends, I'm horrifed at the price.

Do other folk calibrate their monitors? I'd be grateful for some ScrapGirl friends' advice.

I do. I've used Spyder3. I do my own printing at home so its really helpful. Color management is really complex and I've just scratched the surface of learning about it. Seems like you need an advanced degree in physics to really get to the bottom of it. But I agree, you really need a colorimeter to get the best profile. And the really good ones are pricey!!!! Not for the faint of heart.

Forgot to add something I just learned recently. The ambient light in your area while you're working in PS or PSE affects what you see on your monitor. So if you work under full spectrum light like daylight bright bulbs or an Ott light, you'll have better color matching even without calibrating your monitor. Works for sewing and needlework, why not scrapping too?

Archived