Applying Layer Styles

Mary C

I am still learning how to use the forum so I hope I am asking this question in the right place.

First, I am working in PSE 9 on a MAC

I am having a bit of a problem understanding how to apply certain layer styles - and I have purchased many of them before learning all there is to learn!! For instance, the SNU_SSTools_Styles_CandyCane6301. I can't figure out to apply these so they look right. I drew a circle with the shape tool and then applied the "round" style. I had to play with the circle to get the design to look right and then once I did that the circle was too big for my project. The same thing with other "candy cane" designs from this set. Do I apply a style on its own layer?

Also, my PSE came loaded with styles I'll never use. Is it possible to delete some of them?

Thank you to anyone who can help me or if you have advice on where I can find a good tutorial or resource that I can refer to for help.

Mary C

Hi Mary!

In answer to your third question first, yes, you can delete the styles that came with PSE if you don't think you'll use them. You will find them in the same place you loaded your new ones, and you should be able to tell which ones you don't want pretty easily. You might want to save those file somewhere else on your computer rather than completely deleting them just in case you might want them again in the future.

I don't use a MAC, but I'm wondering if you don't need to just adjust the style settings after you've applied the style. If you look in the layers palette, there is a fx symbol over on the right of a layer that has had a style applied. If you double click on that symbol, a box will open up where you can adjust different settings that may help you get the look you are after.

You could

Hi Mary!

In answer to your third question first, yes, you can delete the styles that came with PSE if you don't think you'll use them. You will find them in the same place you loaded your new ones, and you should be able to tell which ones you don't want pretty easily. You might want to save those file somewhere else on your computer rather than completely deleting them just in case you might want them again in the future.

I don't use a MAC, but I'm wondering if you don't need to just adjust the style settings after you've applied the style. If you look in the layers palette, there is a fx symbol over on the right of a layer that has had a style applied. If you double click on that symbol, a box will open up where you can adjust different settings that may help you get the look you are after.

You could

Normally you don't apply the style to a separate layer. I've never tried applying a style to a shape, but can you resize it after the layer style has been applied to make it the right size?

You apply the style directly to a layer. I tried this now and did the following. Open a blank page, fill it with color. Use the Heart Shape to draw a heart.Recolored the heart. Applied the Candy Cane style. Then do the following;

On the Menu Bar go to: Layer>Layer Style>Style Effects. A box will open with a slider. Move the slider back and forth and see what happens. I don't know if this is exactly what you needed to know but it is a handy hint. You can use it with all your styles and edges. The edge styles especially look better if you use the slider. Hope that helps.

Archived