Thoughts On A Pa Meet Up

I live in PA; about 45 minutes away from any of these cities in different directions: Philadelphia, Reading, or Allentown. Since becoming a member about a year or so ago, I have taken notice that there are quite a few other members from PA. I have read some of the many posts on various meet ups. I would really like to be able to meet other SG members and get some hands on training during the meet up if possible, since I need all the help I can get. Lets put it this way, I have purchased tons of SG products but have never used any of them.

Anyway, the meet ups are always planned so far away for me to attend. Driving is not a favorite of mine, so even the closest one that I have seen planned in Ohio would just be too far. I am sure that when planning a meet up for a certain region, you try to make it as convenient as possible for everyone in that region to attend. This makes perfect sense to me and totally understandable. After all this is the fairest.

I have contacted Sarah Batdorh through PM. I wanted to get her feedback on a possible meet up in our area since we live so close to each other. She thought it was a good idea and felt that other SG members would most likely attend since there are many in our area. With that being said, neither of us have ever planned a meet up. So I don't think that one of us should necessarily be directly in charge of organizing the whole thing. Our thinking is, all of us that live in this area that would be attending could basically work and plan it together.

I am hoping that other members that have organized a meet up, attended a meet up, etc... could give us some helpful input (Do you just meet each other and hang out in someones hotel room?, Do you rent a convention type room in a hotel for everyone to attend and scrapbook away? Do you just meet up for lunch and/or dinner and than site see?). I need to know what generally happens during a meet up.

For me personally, I am very much interested in learning as much as possible hands on with digital scrap booking using PSE with SG products.

Off the top of my head I was thinking that Valley Forge/King of Prussia might be a good location for a meet up.

So I suppose for now we wait and see who is interested in planning and attending a meet up in (I believe this area of PA is considered Northeast, lol)Northeast PA.

Thanks,

Oh, how I wish I were closer to you, Patty! I'd love it ! The meets are always too far away for me to be able to attend as well and I've always wanted so much to attend one. I'm sure there will be Scrap Girls who are close to you who would love to plan a meet somewhere close to you!

Meetups are a great way to meet Scrap Girls and learn new things from each other! I've loved all the ones I've been to.

Most of the meetups I've attended take place at a hotel. We reserve a meeting room at the hotel, so we have somewhere to set up all of our laptops and EHDs and food. We'll either order in food (deli sandwiches, pizza, etc), or go out to eat. Sometimes we'll find a park, zoo, or urban location and do a photo walk. Nothing elaborate to plan. The trickiest part is getting everyone to agree on a location and then find a hotel that can accommodate you.

I've been to several meetups now, and it's just like Theresa said, you pick an area and date, then find a hotel to use as a home base. We usually rent the meeting room for part of a Friday and then all day on Saturday and split the cost. You can pick what you want to do....scrap and chat the day away, go for a photo walk, order in food or go out to eat. I always learn a lot each time I attend a meetup and come away with new friends!

I would love to go to a meet-up too! I got so excited when I saw there was going to be one in Ohio, but it is the week-end of our 44th anniversary. Although my husband was ok with me going, I can't stand the thought of him being home alone on our anniversary. He doesn't really want to come with me. Now my brother is coming that week-end anyway, so too much going on. Anyway, I don't mind driving at all and would love to attend your meet up. It looks like I am between 5 - 7 hours away. Obviously, the further west you come, the better it is for me. It looks like of the places you listed, Reading is the closest to me, about 5.5 hours away. I would be happy to do anything I can to help, although I have never been to a meet-up, let alone planned one! I'd love to meet you, Patty. I love reading your questions and the subsequent answers! I always learn something! Are you thinking of sometime this fall?

I'd be up for a Northeast PA meetup! Though I'll politely bow out from the planning of it, as I just don't have the time to do so right now.

I'm in central PA... not far from State College. I grew up in Allentown, lived in Reading so I'm familiar with both areas. And those locations would all work wonderfully for me to attend a meet-up.

I'm up for it! But like Becca, I'd have to bow out of the planning. Got a lot on my plate. I'm in Reading, and I'd love to meet-up as long as the date is good. I'd be happy to teach something or host a challenge or something while we are there.

I would really like to be able to meet other SG members and get some hands on training during the meet up if possible, since I need all the help I can get. Lets put it this way, I have purchased tons of SG products but have never used any of them.

Also.. one of the best ways to learn is just TRY!! Open up PSE, open up the SG products, and just experiment!! It's all digital, so you can always press the undo button :)

I'm up for it! But like Becca, I'd have to bow out of the planning. Got a lot on my plate. I'm in Reading, and I'd love to meet-up as long as the date is good. I'd be happy to teach something or host a challenge or something while we are there.

There is a place in downtown Reading (or there used to be) that has the best pizza I've ever eaten! Reading is an awesome place! If you have it there I just might be able to talk my Rich into coming along in our camper! Of course I'd spend most of my time (or a good part of it) with everyone at the meet, but it's something to think about. Will start dropping hints to Rich.

Keep us posted!

Ok, this is great so far. Since it's already the middle of July, I was thinking a fall meet up might be better but if we wait to long, it might be too cold for those that may want to check out Valley Forge Park.

It's looking like NewGram10, Becca, Sarah, and myself so far.

I suggested Valley Forge/King of Prussia area because you can tour Valley Forge if you'd like and I also believe there are a few hotels in the KOP area. If others have suggestions, please let us know.

I need to get feedback on some dates and who would be able to help me plan this all out. I am hoping that others in the area will come along soon and want to attend the meet up. We'd need a count for hotel room prices, some might want to room with another member(s), and the rates to rent out a meeting room in the hotel so we can all scrap together.

I am looking forward to reading more feedback and hopefully hear from others who would like to attend.

Ok, this is great so far. Since it's already the middle of July, I was thinking a fall meet up might be better but if we wait to long, it might be too cold for those that may want to check out Valley Forge Park.

I suggested Valley Forge/King of Prussia area because you can tour Valley Forge if you'd like and I also believe there are a few hotels in the KOP area. If others have suggestions, please let us know.

I need to get feedback on some dates and who would be able to help me plan this all out. I am hoping that others in the area will come along soon and want to attend the meet up. We'd need a count for hotel room prices, some might want to room with another member(s), and the rates to rent out a meeting room in the hotel so we can all scrap together.

I am looking forward to reading more feedback and hopefully hear from others who would like to attend.

I guess you missed my previous post. I'm game.

We can add Elisha to our list and maybe Sara Arell.

Sounds like we need to nail down some dates and definite location.

Elisha is there any locations around Reading (I am not very familiar with Reading) that you think might be a good place to stay and affordable also? I think it would be great if you could teach us something.

I am hoping that Sarah might also be able to do this. Sarah, I want to ask if you know of any locations in the Philly area that might work for the meet up. That should cover the area: Elisha in Reading, Sarah in Philly, and I am close to Valley Forge/KOP.

Becca, I am really not sure where you live but you know the Reading & Allentown area. Do you know of any locations that you would suggest checking into for the meet up?

It looks like NewGram10 and I are the only 2 so far able to do the planning. I totally understand that it will be harder for you to do much of the planning because you are not familiar with the area, living in Ohio. I don't mind making calls, getting prices, reserving rooms, etc...Again this is all new to me so I'm just going with the flow, hoping that I am doing everything correctly and not forgetting anything.

There is a place in downtown Reading (or there used to be) that has the best pizza I've ever eaten! Reading is an awesome place! If you have it there I just might be able to talk my Rich into coming along in our camper! Of course I'd spend most of my time (or a good part of it) with everyone at the meet, but it's something to think about. Will start dropping hints to Rich.

Keep us posted!

Sara, I just wanted to let you know that the areas we are currently discussing are within a reasonable distance from eachother. So even if we don't actually stay in the city of Reading, chances are you'd still be able to get that great pizza you are talking about. That is if the place is still there. You can always opt for a famous Philly cheesesteak :)

I would love to go to a meet-up too! I got so excited when I saw there was going to be one in Ohio, but it is the week-end of our 44th anniversary. Although my husband was ok with me going, I can't stand the thought of him being home alone on our anniversary. He doesn't really want to come with me. Now my brother is coming that week-end anyway, so too much going on. Anyway, I don't mind driving at all and would love to attend your meet up. It looks like I am between 5 - 7 hours away. Obviously, the further west you come, the better it is for me. It looks like of the places you listed, Reading is the closest to me, about 5.5 hours away. I would be happy to do anything I can to help, although I have never been to a meet-up, let alone planned one! I'd love to meet you, Patty. I love reading your questions and the subsequent answers! I always learn something! Are you thinking of sometime this fall?

First I would like to ask what your full name is. I took a look at your profile and couldn't find it. So it's either just not listed anywhere or I'm not looking in the correct location. I am so happy to see that you will be able to attend this meet up and super happy that you are volunteering to help out with the planning as much as possible. You sound so excited which is catchy :)

Also, I am glad to hear that you enjoy reading my posts and are learning from them. I appreciate you mentioning that. I too feel the same way about many questions/topics discussions. I am constantly learning new things and have learned to take very detailed notes. That way when I refer back to something I will know the exact details. I used to make the mistake of just jotting down a few key parts only to return to it at a later date and have to clue what I was talking about. I was ending up having to search for the questions/answers all over again (which is time consuming)or having to ask the question(s) again. I was told many times that there are no stupid questions so that makes me feel comfortable asking anything I don't understand. I feel like I can't move forward without knowing the answers to the many question I ask.

I will talk to you soon,

Patty, there are no rules for planning a meetup. For instance, the Pacific NW Scrap Girls have met in someone's house for pot luck lunch and maybe an afternoon of scrapping. So if you plan it, that's how it will be that time. To be honest, when you get a group of Scrap Girls together, you're going to have a wonderful time. Good for you for doing this! I'm just sorry I'm too far away.

Sarah, I want to ask if you know of any locations in the Philly area that might work for the meet up. That should cover the area: Elisha in Reading, Sarah in Philly, and I am close to Valley Forge/KOP.

Valley Forge is about the half way point between Pottstown/Reading, and Philly. That could be a good location, but I'm curious to hear other suggestions.

I'd love it if we could have a meet down South! I know we have quite a few Southern gals on here that are fairly close together! :disappearing-smilie:

Start a new thread, Sara! You might get a bite!

I'd love it if we could have a meet down South! I know we have quite a few Southern gals on here that are fairly close together! :disappearing-smilie:

Start a new thread, Sara! You might get a bite!

Sounds like a plan, Elisha! Let's go fishing! LOL LOL

This is something I may be interested in depending on when, where and costs. I would love a get-together!

I would love to attend. I live in New York and would have to car pool with someone like I did with the past meet ups. Unfortunately those gals are no longer on SG, so they are out of the picture. However, Bobbie is still here and she lives near White Plains which is not that far from me. Or depending on where in PA the meeting would be, I could always take a bus or train. Wheels are turning.....

First I would like to ask what your full name is. I took a look at your profile and couldn't find it. So it's either just not listed anywhere or I'm not looking in the correct location. I am so happy to see that you will be able to attend this meet up and super happy that you are volunteering to help out with the planning as much as possible. You sound so excited which is catchy :)

Also, I am glad to hear that you enjoy reading my posts and are learning from them. I appreciate you mentioning that. I too feel the same way about many questions/topics discussions. I am constantly learning new things and have learned to take very detailed notes. That way when I refer back to something I will know the exact details. I used to make the mistake of just jotting down a few key parts only to return to it at a later date and have to clue what I was talking about. I was ending up having to search for the questions/answers all over again (which is time consuming)or having to ask the question(s) again. I was told many times that there are no stupid questions so that makes me feel comfortable asking anything I don't understand. I feel like I can't move forward without knowing the answers to the many question I ask.

I will talk to you soon,

Did you see the PM I sent you? If not I probably sent it wrong! Anyway, my name is Karen Nichols and I live in a little town named St. Clairsville, OH, right on the WV border about an hour SW of Pittsburgh. The further west you come in PA, the closer for me! Just let me know what I can do to help.

Ok, it looks like about 9 members including me so far. Some are not 100% at this point until we have more detailed information such as when, where, and the cost involved. I believe we are looking at the location to be around the Valley Forge area. That seems to be about in the middle for all the PA members. I do know for sure how many hotels are in King of Prussia. However, my only concern is that this is a bit of an expensive area so I am afraid the hotel rooms and booking a meeting room might be costly. Please let me know if anyone feels that another location would be better.

Am I to assume that for those that live in the area, that you would be traveling back and forth from your home and would not need a hotel room?

I really could use some help because I really have no idea what I am doing and I am starting to become a bit anxious.

I think the very first thing to need to do is decide on dates. Once we have decided on dates, we need to know how many would need a room so we can get pricing on hotel rooms and also their meeting room?

Again, any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

That looks like about 6 hours of driving time for me so I would definitely need a room. There are three week-ends this fall I can't do it and they are September 27-30, October 12 - 14, and November 2-4.

Why don't we start another thread in this forum and ask for suggestions about activities? I definitely think we should take Elisha up on her offer to do something. That would be awesome!

I didn't really find anything in my search for a cabin to rent. I was using Google Maps and it's probably not the best way to look. I was thinking it might be an affordable option if we could find a pretty location and something around the $500.00 range. Anywhoo I just wanted to throw that out there to see if anyone knows of a place like this. I didn't find anything, but we should keep looking for lodging.

Archived