Working With My Handwriting

I scanned in some of my own journaling (and saved as a PNG). But I want it to be a different color. When I change the hue/saturation, that works but all the letters with little holes (the O's, A's, etc.) are filled in. Is there an easier way to go about this, short of redrawing the holes in my letters (which i'm not about to do - haha!)

I'm not exactly sure I understand your question, but I'm thinking if you open the scanned image then place it onto a new blank document with a transparent background, then save it as a png file, maybe that would help?

Maybe someone else will come along soon with a better idea...

I figured it out. I just have to select and delete the areas i don't want to include . . . before I save it as a PNG. a bit of a pain but worth it i guess ;)

Glad you worked it out.

You've got me thinking, I've never thought to scan my own handwriting in, might be worth trying when I have a good amount of time and nothing to do.

I put some handwriting on a postcard in a layout I did recently--sorry it isn't posted, but I can't post it yet. I put the scan of thehandwriting over a piece of journaling paper and simply adjusted the blending mode until it looked like it was written on the journaling paper. No extraction required!

I put some handwriting on a postcard in a layout I did recently--sorry it isn't posted, but I can't post it yet. I put the scan of thehandwriting over a piece of journaling paper and simply adjusted the blending mode until it looked like it was written on the journaling paper. No extraction required!

Great idea April!

I use Paint.net (getPaint.net) for this. ( It is a free and easy program) It has a plug in called Isolate Line Art. If you are using black and white, even a jpg, it is a snap to delete the scanned paper and keep the text. You can then change the color with the eye dropper tool. If you are doing a full page, it is tedious.But a few lines and a few minutes and you have something precious.

If you are a pen and tablet user, you can write right atop your page, and blending works for all of the above. I do this quite often, as Art Journal pages really need that personal touch as much as Scrap pages. :D

Have you thought of making the image into a brush? I learned that in the brush class and did it with my signature and always use it to sign my ATC's. And if it's a brush, you can stamp in any color, size, etc.

And once it's made, it's always there! :)

Archived