4 replies to this topic

#1 NotAVampireLvr

NotAVampireLvr

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Can someone please direct me to a tutorial (for PSE10) that shows me how to use the cookie cutter tool? I'm trying to clip a picture into a circle using the tool... I've got it all clipped, but when I save the image it has the dreaded white background... I want to make it transparent. I'm not real proficient in PSE - I use gimp for most things, but I was trying to use a template I got for joining SG... and it requires a round photo...

thanks!

--Dani

#2 jenrou

jenrou

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Did you try the University for tutorials? I'm not that good with PSE myself. lately I've found that the blending mode "Multiply" will often take out the white background. I use it when I scan a photo and want to get rid of the white around an object.

Someone who knows more than I do will probably be along soon.

Welcome to Scrapgirls!

gallery_17266_66_6869.png

#3 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hmm, first, are you saving the file as a PNG, a JPG or PSD file? You need to select PNG to keep a transparent background.

If the image in PSE has only the checkerboard background, that should handle it.

If you have any color of background, besides the checkerboard that indicates transparency, then you need to delete those layers first, or at least hide them. Hope this helps.

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#4 NotAVampireLvr

NotAVampireLvr

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hmm, first, are you saving the file as a PNG, a JPG or PSD file? You need to select PNG to keep a transparent background.

If the image in PSE has only the checkerboard background, that should handle it.

If you have any color of background, besides the checkerboard that indicates transparency, then you need to delete those layers first, or at least hide them. Hope this helps.

I was saving as .png but the discovered I was still saving it wrong... once I figured that out it worked like a charm! Thanks! :)

#5 AggieB

AggieB

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 12,603 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hey, I use GIMP, too. It is sad I can't use all the great tools here, but sometimes you can do something similar.

gallery_17848_66_14710.jpg

December 2010 Member of the Month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users