Shadows...

I know my layouts won't really pop until I start adding some shadow to them, but I'm completely clueless about this... Where should I be adding them? Everything I do is flat right now and to take things to the next level I want to start adding shadows... I've only done a whopping four layouts so far which I'm working on uploading, but I do have one from Monday's challenge posted - and in the comments someone mentions shadow. I just don't know where to start with it. I use Gimp, but can usually work with PSE tutorials as I'm familiar enough with Gimp to find my way around. I'm more interested in the style aspect then the actual "doing of it" - I know how to do it and just need to play around...just not sure what the protocol is for shadow /vs/ no shadow

Shadows was the bit I found hardest to learn, like you not the "how to" but what was the right type of shadow.

After a lot of playing and trying different things, shadows for common items like paper are now quick and easy to do.

The only real tip I have is this, decide where your light source is coming from so all your shadows fall the same way, it will look more natural.

Shadows was the bit I found hardest to learn, like you not the "how to" but what was the right type of shadow.

After a lot of playing and trying different things, shadows for common items like paper are now quick and easy to do.

The only real tip I have is this, decide where your light source is coming from so all your shadows fall the same way, it will look more natural.

Thanks both of you for the tips... I didn't realize until after I posted that there was a whole forum here just on shadows.. YIKES! There is so much more to learn than drag/drop/layer/resize!

Ahhh shadows, they are confusing! Valerie is correct-I think the most important thing is to be sure they all "go" the same way so your layout is congruent!

Me-well, I'm thank for the drop shadow styles! It's like cheating!!

I can't wait to see how you get your shadows to work with Gimp! There is so much information, hope you find the information you need!! If not, ask away!!

Archived