• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 diannecp

diannecp

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Personal Statement:Artist, writer, daughter, wife, aunt, child of God. I'm just a "work in progress."

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Is there a way to outline a shape so that the outline/stroke is actually inset from the edge a little bit? Think of that thin border that goes around labels or something . . . I guess it's late and Ii can't figure out how to do something like this. Using CS5. (and going to go save my work right now - LOL!)
Posted Image

"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us." Anne Lamott. My blog (Unfinished Work)

#2 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hi Dianne! Here's what I think is easiest. CTRL + Click the thumbnail of the object to stroke (layer 1). Click the New Layer button and make Layer #2. Select the new layer, Edit, Stroke, Inside, 20 px, in desired color.

Ctrl + Click the bottom layer, and make another new layer, #3. Select the layer 3, and Edit Stroke, Inside, 5 px. (numbers a little arbitrary.)

CTRL + Click on layer #3 (5 px stroke.) Click on layer #2 to select the layer. Press Delete to remove the outer 5 px.

Then you can delete the top layer and merge the second layer down if you're happy. This is totally non-destructive until you merge it down, so you can play. Let me know if this works for you.

Edited by BarbaraC1977, 19 July 2012 - 10:26 AM.

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#3 teecee

teecee

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,633 posts
  • Personal Statement:Miracles happen to those who believe in them.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

I know these instructions are for CS, but I had to try them with PSE 9. Worked beautifully. Thanks for such great instructions Barbara and thanks for asking the question Dianne! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

#4 ValerieT

ValerieT

• TOU Administrator
  • 7,469 posts
  • Personal Statement:Mad as a hatter, with the patience of a saint!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

I've always wondered if that was possible, thanks for the instructions Barbara, and thanks for asking Dianne.

WorldTourSiggy-1.png

Button_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifBLINKIES_UK.gif SecondHomeBlinkieGIF.gif?t=1352459462

#5 Sherry Lynn

Sherry Lynn

Proud to be a Maine-iac!

• Creative Team
  • 27,164 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

I was coming here to help with this BUT see that Barbara has already given you great step-by-step instructions :2468who-do-we-appreciate: Barbara!
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 diannecp

diannecp

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • Personal Statement:Artist, writer, daughter, wife, aunt, child of God. I'm just a "work in progress."

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thanks, Barb . . . I think I get the idea but it's not working for me. I never use Ctrl-Click? Am I supposed to be duplicating the layers? I guess I'm missing something.
Posted Image

"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us." Anne Lamott. My blog (Unfinished Work)

#7 scrappinchar

scrappinchar

Rejoice in the Lord always. Phil 4:4

• Members
  • 12,088 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am a Christ follower. I love my DH, my boys, church, scrapping, reading, and our backyard birds.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hi gals. Since there are always multiple methods, here's another one.

Open a new/blank layer above the item you will use for the stroke.
While the new layer is active, hold the ctrl key and left-click on the thumbnail of the item being stroked.
You should see the "marching ants."
Go to Select<Modify<Contract and choose how far in you want to shrink the selection.
(If it seems too little or too much, undo and try a new number.)
Now choose edit<stroke and make the stroke the size/color/etc you want.

Now...that was from my head...I hope I remembered it right. (I'll let you know if I find I had it wrong.)

gallery_9116_358_46999.png

Button_Published.pngSG_LongLive_72_zps19f45c47.gif ShredButton.png

#8 teecee

teecee

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hi gals. Since there are always multiple methods, here's another one.

Open a new/blank layer above the item you will use for the stroke.
While the new layer is active, hold the ctrl key and left-click on the thumbnail of the item being stroked.
You should see the "marching ants."
Go to Select<Modify<Contract and choose how far in you want to shrink the selection.
(If it seems too little or too much, undo and try a new number.)
Now choose edit<stroke and make the stroke the size/color/etc you want.

Now...that was from my head...I hope I remembered it right. (I'll let you know if I find I had it wrong.)

WOO HOO! This works great in PSE 9 Charlene! Thanks!! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

#9 Nica

Nica

• Creative Team
  • 4,224 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love God
    Love Others
    Offer Hope

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks, Barb . . . I think I get the idea but it's not working for me. I never use Ctrl-Click? Am I supposed to be duplicating the layers? I guess I'm missing something.

Dianne,

Ctrl + left-click on the thumbnail of the layer. You should get marching ants around the object. You shouldn't need to duplicate the layer. In both sets of directions, you'll need a new layer created above the object to put the stroke on.

HTH

gallery_18472_304_721.gif

SGblinkie.gif

WT-Button-copy.gif SG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.png      

#10 diannecp

diannecp

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Okay, I'm getting there. I wasn't clicking on the thumbnail. So I get the marching ants, Select>Modify>Contract and the ants are right where I want the stroke to be. But then the stroke? How do I do that? Nothing I do leaves me with the stroke when I deselect. I can't stroke the new layer because there's nothing on it. And stroking the original layer/object does not make it inset like I want. Hmmm.:(
Posted Image

#11 Nica

Nica

• Creative Team
  • 4,224 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love God
    Love Others
    Offer Hope

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Once you have the marching ants where you want them, select a new layer. Now, go to the top left of the screen and choose "Edit." On the drop down menu, choose "stroke." A box will pop-up and you can experiment with the numbers Barbra mentioned.

gallery_18472_304_721.gif

SGblinkie.gif

WT-Button-copy.gif SG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.png      

#12 diannecp

diannecp

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Once you have the marching ants where you want them, select a new layer. Now, go to the top left of the screen and choose "Edit." On the drop down menu, choose "stroke." A box will pop-up and you can experiment with the numbers Barbra mentioned.

Yeah! Guess I was doing things out of order (or following the directions too literally - ha!) Thanks so much, Nica and all!
Posted Image

#13 Becster

Becster

• Members
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Ooh, great question and great answers! I'm def. going to try this!

gallery_20128_4545_950.jpg

SG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gif

#14 healthyscraps

healthyscraps

I Made it! I'm a Top-Dog Scrapper

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Personal Statement:"Sometimes a set back can be a launch pad."
    - me

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Char you beat me to it. I usually do your method however I'd like to try Barbara's to see if there is a difference in the end results.
Jacqui Smith | Product Designer

Featured Products (click on images below to see boutique product page)
JSM_YouMeUs_Collection_MKTG_150.jpg JSM_SSEMB_YouMeUs_Masks_MKTG_150.jpg JSM_YouMeUS_LO5_150.jpg JSM_SSActions_ChalkArt_MKTG_150.jpg
More Products Visit Gallery

#15 misseswojo

misseswojo

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Personal Statement:Curiosity killed the cat; Satisfaction brought him back.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

I know these instructions are for CS, but I had to try them with PSE 9. Worked beautifully. Thanks for such great instructions Barbara and thanks for asking the question Dianne! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Thanks for trying this out in PSE9 Theresa and glad to know it works. I will have to take notes on this.
Posted Image I scrap with PSE11
Posted Image Posted Image

#16 teecee

teecee

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for trying this out in PSE9 Theresa and glad to know it works. I will have to take notes on this.

Hi Patty. You may want to try Charlene's method also. It worked great too. ;)

#17 misseswojo

misseswojo

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Personal Statement:Curiosity killed the cat; Satisfaction brought him back.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi Patty. You may want to try Charlene's method also. It worked great too. ;)

Yep, I wrote them both down for future reference. Thanks :)
Posted Image I scrap with PSE11
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users