Outline/stroke Question

Is there a way to outline a shape so that the outline/stroke is actually inset from the edge a little bit? Think of that thin border that goes around labels or something . . . I guess it's late and Ii can't figure out how to do something like this. Using CS5. (and going to go save my work right now - LOL!)

Hi Dianne! Here's what I think is easiest. CTRL + Click the thumbnail of the object to stroke (layer 1). Click the New Layer button and make Layer #2. Select the new layer, Edit, Stroke, Inside, 20 px, in desired color.

Ctrl + Click the bottom layer, and make another new layer, #3. Select the layer 3, and Edit Stroke, Inside, 5 px. (numbers a little arbitrary.)

CTRL + Click on layer #3 (5 px stroke.) Click on layer #2 to select the layer. Press Delete to remove the outer 5 px.

Then you can delete the top layer and merge the second layer down if you're happy. This is totally non-destructive until you merge it down, so you can play. Let me know if this works for you.

I know these instructions are for CS, but I had to try them with PSE 9. Worked beautifully. Thanks for such great instructions Barbara and thanks for asking the question Dianne! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Thanks, Barb . . . I think I get the idea but it's not working for me. I never use Ctrl-Click? Am I supposed to be duplicating the layers? I guess I'm missing something.

Hi gals. Since there are always multiple methods, here's another one.

Open a new/blank layer above the item you will use for the stroke.

While the new layer is active, hold the ctrl key and left-click on the thumbnail of the item being stroked.

You should see the "marching ants."

Go to Select<Modify<Contract and choose how far in you want to shrink the selection.

(If it seems too little or too much, undo and try a new number.)

Now choose edit<stroke and make the stroke the size/color/etc you want.

Now...that was from my head...I hope I remembered it right. (I'll let you know if I find I had it wrong.)

Hi gals. Since there are always multiple methods, here's another one.

Open a new/blank layer above the item you will use for the stroke.

While the new layer is active, hold the ctrl key and left-click on the thumbnail of the item being stroked.

You should see the "marching ants."

Go to Select<Modify<Contract and choose how far in you want to shrink the selection.

(If it seems too little or too much, undo and try a new number.)

Now choose edit<stroke and make the stroke the size/color/etc you want.

Now...that was from my head...I hope I remembered it right. (I'll let you know if I find I had it wrong.)

WOO HOO! This works great in PSE 9 Charlene! Thanks!! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Thanks, Barb . . . I think I get the idea but it's not working for me. I never use Ctrl-Click? Am I supposed to be duplicating the layers? I guess I'm missing something.

Dianne,

Ctrl + left-click on the thumbnail of the layer. You should get marching ants around the object. You shouldn't need to duplicate the layer. In both sets of directions, you'll need a new layer created above the object to put the stroke on.

HTH

Okay, I'm getting there. I wasn't clicking on the thumbnail. So I get the marching ants, Select>Modify>Contract and the ants are right where I want the stroke to be. But then the stroke? How do I do that? Nothing I do leaves me with the stroke when I deselect. I can't stroke the new layer because there's nothing on it. And stroking the original layer/object does not make it inset like I want. Hmmm.:(

Once you have the marching ants where you want them, select a new layer. Now, go to the top left of the screen and choose "Edit." On the drop down menu, choose "stroke." A box will pop-up and you can experiment with the numbers Barbra mentioned.

Once you have the marching ants where you want them, select a new layer. Now, go to the top left of the screen and choose "Edit." On the drop down menu, choose "stroke." A box will pop-up and you can experiment with the numbers Barbra mentioned.

Yeah! Guess I was doing things out of order (or following the directions too literally - ha!) Thanks so much, Nica and all!

I know these instructions are for CS, but I had to try them with PSE 9. Worked beautifully. Thanks for such great instructions Barbara and thanks for asking the question Dianne! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Thanks for trying this out in PSE9 Theresa and glad to know it works. I will have to take notes on this.

Thanks for trying this out in PSE9 Theresa and glad to know it works. I will have to take notes on this.

Hi Patty. You may want to try Charlene's method also. It worked great too. ;)

Hi Patty. You may want to try Charlene's method also. It worked great too. ;)

Yep, I wrote them both down for future reference. Thanks :)

Archived