How Do I Make The "sweet" Word Again

DixieLee

I made this LO a couple years ago and the thing I can't figure out is how can I make this "sweet" word again or any word that looks like this. I honestly don't remember how I did it to start with, used some kind of photo filter. Anyone have any ideas?post-12538-0-39381300-1344577077_thumb.jpg

I've never used PSE, but in photoshop, you apply a bevel/emboss to a text layer, and turn the fill on the layer down to 0%. (This is for the bottom two sweets; the top one looks like it may be the same kind of layer, but with a color overlay layer clipped on top of it.)

The opacity slider of layer affects everything on that layer including any shapes or pixels and any effects. The fill slider affects only the shapes and pixels, but not the effects. So, the trick here is to apply an effect (like bevel/emboss, drop shadow, inner glow, etc.) and then adjust the fill down to 0.

I haven't got my PSE open, I'm just guessing based on how it looks.

The top sweet looks like you used your letters to cut out the layer below.

On the others did you clip the pattern paper to the letters and add a shadow. If the two paper layers were in the exact same position, the top layer would be invisible until you add a shadow.

I need to have a play with this, it's a really neat effect.

Spec Effect Test.jpg

Though it may not be exact, here’s a test I did and it looks pretty similar. Here’s what I did using PSE 9

For the top word:

1. Place a solid color paper in a new blank document and place a patterned paper on top of it (I used ‘Ocean’ and ‘Roses’ from Syndee's Picturesque Collection Biggie

2. In another new document create your word - I used Times New Roman font (you could also use an alpha from a collection)

3. Place the completed word on top of the patterned paper

4. Make a direct selection on the word (CTRL click on the thumbnail in the word layer) this places marching ants around the word

5. Select the top paper layer and press ‘delete’ on the keyboard

6. Turn off the visibility of the word layer

7. CTRL+D or ‘Escape’ to deselect the marching ants.

8. Add a drop shadow to the patterned paper layer (I used PSE ‘Noisy’)

For the second word:

1. Drag a copy of the word from its original document to the layout and place in desired location below the first word

2. Apply a transparency style (I used Shalae's STI_SSTools_Styles_Transparency_4901-3)

3. Apply a bevel or drop shadow (I used PSE ‘Simple Emboss’)

For the third word:

1. Just copy the second word and place in desired location. (I hold the ALT key down, click on the second word to copy it and drag to where I want to place it.)

I’m sure there are probably other and maybe simpler methods, but this worked well for me. HTH

I don't use PSE, but I did copy the below from an adobe forums on the topic:-----

Normally in photoshop elements, you know that to change the layer opacity you use the number keys.To change the fill opacity use the shift key plus a number key. In the history palette it should say Fill Opacity Change.

Another way to change the fill opacity in elements is with layer styles. there is a layer style set that says Visibility with three settings. Ghosted (50% fill), Hide (0% fill) and Show (100% fill).

----------

Archived