How Can I Upgrade To Cs6 From Cs5

bjc

is it possible that i can no longer upgrade thru buying a disk that is an upgrade3 disk ? i have cs5 and read that by next year you cant upgrade if you go back more than one version so now i figured though i didnt want to i better upgrade to 6 or else i would have to buy the whole cs again ... this stinks...so i went to buy the upgrade and cant find it anywhere..b and h says the only place is at adobe site...i went to adobe site and they have other upgrades but for cs 6 it says it is in the cloud and you have to pay monthly? is this right? is this the way it is now?

I just went to the Adobe Photoshop store. I can download the upgrade from CS5 to CS6 which would take over and hour to upload or I can buy and have the boxed version sent to me both for the upgrade price of $199. They mention setting up the Creative Cloud account - this is what it says:

"Thinking of getting CS6?

Step up to Creative Cloud. Adobe Creative Cloud membership gives you access to Creative Suite tools plus exclusive, immediate access to new features, products, publishing services and more. All at an attractive monthly price."

But it doesn't say you have to do that. Considering that I'm very leery of doing anything in "the cloud", I probably won't get that membership.

So you can upgrade without going into their cloud.

this is the URL where I found the information:

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayProduct&categoryPath=/Applications/Photoshop&distributionMethod=FULL

I just went to the Adobe Photoshop store. I can download the upgrade from CS5 to CS6 which would take over and hour to upload or I can buy and have the boxed version sent to me both for the upgrade price of $199. They mention setting up the Creative Cloud account - this is what it says:

"Thinking of getting CS6?

Step up to Creative Cloud. Adobe Creative Cloud membership gives you access to Creative Suite tools plus exclusive, immediate access to new features, products, publishing services and more. All at an attractive monthly price."

But it doesn't say you have to do that. Considering that I'm very leery of doing anything in "the cloud", I probably won't get that membership.

So you can upgrade without going into their cloud.

this is the URL where I found the information:

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayProduct&categoryPath=/Applications/Photoshop&distributionMethod=FULL

thanks...got it ...i too would only get the boxed version..also cause if you get another computer you have it to install...thanks for your prompt help

I got the download upgrade, no problem with installing to a second computer, they let you and if you get rid of one, you can uninstall and then you can install on another one. Creative cloud is optional...they are promoting it. I saw the boxed, disc version was available too. Since I've had good luck with adobe support, I'm not worried about not being able to redownload if needed. And CS6 is a nice upgrade.

I got the download upgrade, no problem with installing to a second computer, they let you and if you get rid of one, you can uninstall and then you can install on another one. Creative cloud is optional...they are promoting it. I saw the boxed, disc version was available too. Since I've had good luck with adobe support, I'm not worried about not being able to redownload if needed. And CS6 is a nice upgrade.

sandi , what are the best features of the upgrade..and is there a learning curve to use the new one?

sandi , what are the best features of the upgrade..and is there a learning curve to use the new one?

Mostly, its a lot like the old one. The workspace looks a little different, darker background by default, better for working on photos, but more customizable. I think the HDR toning is one of the super new features I'm using on some of my older photos that I didn't get bracketed RAW shots on....amazing results! Learning curve negligible. Camera Raw has improved a whole bunch and is much more intuitive. Content aware features really expanded with extend and move, as well a CA patch. There's a new lighting effects filter too. Nice! There are some changes with the crop tool too and being able to work with multiple layers at once, but I've only read about that haven't tried it yet. I am really loving it and glad I invested in the upgrade.

I've been using CS6 for a few months, and my favorite new features are

1. Auto back-up and recovery-- I've had it crash, and what I was working on came up with "recovery" in the file name the next time I opened the program.

2. When I drag in a file from Windows Explorer or the mini bridge at the bottom into my layout, it opens in my layout as a smart object. That saves so much scrapping time for me. I can drag in a whole bunch of papers and choose to keep or reject them. If I reject one, it asks if I want to keep adding the others. I like to try out lots of different papers and embellishments, so having them come in like that with the file name on the layer is something I love. I didn't have CS5, so maybe it isn't new - but I really like it.

3. They changed the math in how some of the photo adjustment tools work for this version, and I am liking the results.

I like the other new features too, but these are the ones that I notice most for scrapbooking.

I've been using CS6 for a few months, and my favorite new features are

1. Auto back-up and recovery-- I've had it crash, and what I was working on came up with "recovery" in the file name the next time I opened the program.

2. When I drag in a file from Windows Explorer or the mini bridge at the bottom into my layout, it opens in my layout as a smart object. That saves so much scrapping time for me. I can drag in a whole bunch of papers and choose to keep or reject them. If I reject one, it asks if I want to keep adding the others. I like to try out lots of different papers and embellishments, so having them come in like that with the file name on the layer is something I love. I didn't have CS5, so maybe it isn't new - but I really like it.

3. They changed the math in how some of the photo adjustment tools work for this version, and I am liking the results.

I like the other new features too, but these are the ones that I notice most for scrapbooking.

thanks april...mine is in the mail and on its way so hoping to get it soon and have time to try things...like your tips here ..thanks

Archived