Can't Unzip A Folder From August Ss Club

Becster

I know this was addressed before, but this is the first time I have encountered it. I deleted the folder in question, and the zip file. Then I downloaded it again to a different location, tried again from there, and I'm still getting the error. I've tried unzipping three different ways: 1.) the normal way, 2.) by dragging the folder from the zipped folder into the target folder, 3.) and by using Extract Now.

No luck. The folder in question is "PWR_SSWordArt_NewsprintTitles"

Some of the files will extract, but not all. Could someone please point me to the previous thread? Thanks! I'm pretty sure it was started my misseswojo.

I'm using WIN Vista.

I am unzipping mine now and I am having the same problem with that one file also.

Instead of using AOM, I moved the unzipped file to my desktop and just used the Extract now option and it worked fine. Sometimes you have to move the file around to get it to work for some reason. Hope it works out for you also.

I just re-read what I typed here and oh boy did I make a mistake on my wording. What I meant to say...Instead of using the Extract Now program for all the club folders directly from my SS Club folder that I created (because the one folder that you mentioned above wouldn't work); I just moved that one to my desktop and used the Extract Now program from that location and it worked fine.

That makes much more sense :)

I am unzipping mine now and I am having the same problem with that one file also.

Instead of using AOM, I moved the unzipped file to my desktop and just used the Extract now option and it worked fine. Sometimes you have to move the file around to get it to work for some reason. Hope it works out for you also.

Thanks Patty, I'll try again and let you know!

Well sheesh, that worked. I used Extract Now and unzipped it to the Desktop instead of the SS Club folder I'd set up. It's so odd that files get picky like that from time to time. :hit-head-with-hammer:

Thanks for your help!

Yep, just moved that particular file to the desktop and extracted it using Extract All, then moved it back to the original location in my SG files. It happens sometimes with a long file name. So glad to have it open....... love this club!

Well, I'm going to have to rename it I think. After I was able to successfully unzip to the desktop, it still won't let me move the folder to my external drive. Only the files with shorter names would copy.

*sigh*

When the combined length of the designers file AND folder names plus YOUR path exceed 255 characters, there will be trouble extracting the files in Windows. So, putting the file on the desktop helps when it is a shorter path, e.g.

C:\Users\Barbara\Desktop (25 characters) is shorter than

C:\Users\Barbara\Documents\2_SG_ScrapSimple\0_SSPaper. (53 characters)

The designers filenames and folder structures get counted too. Worst case, move the files to the c:\ location, extract if possible, then shorten folder names or "un-layer" some of the folders by dragging their contents to a higher level, and then move them where you want to store them. I've run into a few other products with this problem; fortunately not very many.

Here's a spreadsheet that actually details the story:

post-17172-0-57696100-1345132922_thumb.jpg

You can see the product structures that could cause trouble when combined with your own folder structure. The Total Lengths are the key numbers, in the leftmost column, in purple. Hope this helps you!

This is great info and spreadsheet Barbara! I know due to the 255 character limit, in the past I have occasionally had to shorten/rename files. I'm just glad it doesn't happen very often. TFS!

Well sheesh, that worked. I used Extract Now and unzipped it to the Desktop instead of the SS Club folder I'd set up. It's so odd that files get picky like that from time to time. :hit-head-with-hammer:

Thanks for your help!

I'm glad it worked out for you Becky.

Archived