Blog Or Website? I can't decide!
Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:49 PM
So would a blog be better than a website or vice versa? I can't spend much (free is perfect right now!) & I have a decent website creator scouted. I am mainly wondering about the pros & cons of each & what blog creator would be best for my purposes. I want one that allows me to password protect some content so I can provide private galleries for clients in the event they don't want their whole shoot visible to the general public.
He died for me, I'll live for Him!
Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:57 AM
DH suggests you use everything, with a website being your main "face" of your business. He says get a blog as well, and use all social media (FB, twitter) and use these to direct people to your website.
Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:54 AM
A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown
Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:02 AM
"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us." Anne Lamott. My blog (Unfinished Work)
Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:20 AM
Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:06 AM
Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:07 AM
One more reason its more professional that way
Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:54 PM
Google treats blogs as websites now. You can have any layout you wish and even make them look like traditional websites, if you wish. There are tons of good templates available.
The advantage of a WordPress blog:
1. Easier to keep it updated and looking fresh. Tired of how it looks? Just change the template.
2. Easier to keep secure - especially if you use a host that specializes in hosting WordPress blogs.
3. Easier to add functionality. You can do almost anything you can possibly imagine in a WordPress blog via plugins. Editing, scheduling, forums, shops, galleries... it is simply endless.
4. Much, much, MUCH easier to add new content.
5. Easy to add different roles - such as contributor, editor, etc. This makes it simpler to scale, because you can easily give appropriate access. With a static website, you pretty much have to give away your keys to the kingdom to get help.
6. Easier to build the website so that it is optimized for search engines.
Blogs do not have to look like the typical "blog" that you associate with personal blogs.
If you create "pages" rather than posts, and link them across the top navigation bar, it is the same effect as creating static web pages.
You will want your own domain, of course. Never use a free blog platform for a business website because then the company (such as Google) owns your blog and could, for any reason, decide to turn it off.
If you are looking for a professional blog template, I can't recommend this one highly enough: http://www.studiopress.com/
The code is clean and the support is amazing.
Wishing you all the best with your venture!
Visit me at my Life Inspiration blog
Visit my gallery
My designs and tutorials in the Scrap Girls Boutique