Photoshop Cs6 - Adding Brushes To Presets

PKatai

I just installed Photoshop CS6 on a new computer...Computer is running Windows 7...When I try to add brushes into the Photoshop presets for brushes I get a message that says I don't have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. The problem is I am the administrator and I should have permission...anyone know how to fix this. I need to add over a hundred brushes to this new CS6.

Thanks...Patti

You don't have to install brushes in PS this way. Just open Photoshop and then open the folder where your ASL file is. Then, just drag the ASL file over PS and drop it in the middle of the screen. Voila! Your brushes are installed!

HTH!!

You don't have to install brushes in PS this way. Just open Photoshop and then open the folder where your ASL file is. Then, just drag the ASL file over PS and drop it in the middle of the screen. Voila! Your brushes are installed!

HTH!!

But then how can I organize them? I used to work with CS5 and I thought I remembered adding them through the presets so that I could combine different ASL files into one? It's going to be very difficult for me to find the set I want to use if I have to go through a hundred different brush sets? It's been so long since I worked on scrapbooking stuff that my memory is failing me!!! I do remember adding all of the say...circle brushes together or all of the alpha brushes together etc...that doesn't happen if I just drag and drop right???

Sorry I am Soooooo confused right now!!!

OK -- drag and drop and load whatever brushes you'd like to combine into a single set. (What I do is organize my brushes in folders OUTSIDE PS -- that way if I have to reinstall PS, all my brushes are safely stored elsewhere.) If your brushes don't come with a preview you can reference easily, you can create your own. There was a great tutorial on doing that in the SG newsletter from yesterday or Friday, I think.

Anyway -- back to combining brushes...If you have several sets of alpha brushes that you want to combine, load all of them in PS via drag and drop. THEN, go to your Preset Manager in your brushes palette. I use CS5, but the interface is probably similar...you can get to the preset manager by doing this:

BrushesScreenShot.jpg

Along the top of your screen (where I put the red circle) click on that little arrow and that will open the palette. Up along the top of this menu you will see a little arrow on the right edge -- forgot to mark it here, but it's on the right at the top of this screen shot just to the left of the words "New Brush Preset.") If you click this arrow the dropdown menu will appear and you can select "Preset Manager," marked where my red arrow is above.

When you are in there, you can select (either by CNTRL+clicking on the brushes you want to combine in a set OR by clicking on the first brush and then holding the SHIFT key down while you click on the last brush you want to include. This SHIFT method will quickly select ALL of the brushes between your first and last to include in a set. THEN, you can click SAVE SET and it will prompt you to name it and save it. I would navigate to an area OUTSIDE of PS in which to save this combined set.

Does this help you at all? :)

I forgot to add that you can just as easily delete brushes that you don't want to use right now via the preset manager, as well. Deleting brushes here does NOT delete them from your computer. It just deletes them from loading every time you open PS, which can be slowed down by having too many brushes loaded at once. I add and delete brushes all the time. It also keeps me from having to scroll through a bunch of brushes I don't need, say, if I really only want to use distressing brushes for a certain LO.

If this is all clear as mud and I can't help you, I am sure someone more skilled will come along shortly!!! :)

OK -- drag and drop and load whatever brushes you'd like to combine into a single set. (What I do is organize my brushes in folders OUTSIDE PS -- that way if I have to reinstall PS, all my brushes are safely stored elsewhere.) If your brushes don't come with a preview you can reference easily, you can create your own. There was a great tutorial on doing that in the SG newsletter from yesterday or Friday, I think.

Anyway -- back to combining brushes...If you have several sets of alpha brushes that you want to combine, load all of them in PS via drag and drop. THEN, go to your Preset Manager in your brushes palette. I use CS5, but the interface is probably similar...you can get to the preset manager by doing this:

BrushesScreenShot.jpg

Along the top of your screen (where I put the red circle) click on that little arrow and that will open the palette. Up along the top of this menu you will see a little arrow on the right edge -- forgot to mark it here, but it's on the right at the top of this screen shot just to the left of the words "New Brush Preset.") If you click this arrow the dropdown menu will appear and you can select "Preset Manager," marked where my red arrow is above.

When you are in there, you can select (either by CNTRL+clicking on the brushes you want to combine in a set OR by clicking on the first brush and then holding the SHIFT key down while you click on the last brush you want to include. This SHIFT method will quickly select ALL of the brushes between your first and last to include in a set. THEN, you can click SAVE SET and it will prompt you to name it and save it. I would navigate to an area OUTSIDE of PS in which to save this combined set.

Does this help you at all? :)

Yes thanks...I also figured out how to change the properties for the Photoshop CS6 Brushes Presets so I could save into this folder. It's kind of coming back to me as I play with it...starting new after a couple of years is kind of mind boggling...lol I need to keep up with scrapgirls new letters (just restarted the daily deliveries) so I can stay informed even if I'm not actually scrapbooking! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me...it is greatly appreciated!

Hugs...Patti

I love how easy it is to load brushes into CS6. I've only had CS6 a couple of weeks so I'm only loading brushes when I need them. But this is wonderful information Jennifer, and will definitely come in handy.

Archived