Installing Actions

Joey

I have 2 specific folders within my "Photo effects" folder. One is DS-Drop Shadows-PSE7-10; the other, MRE_SSTools_PhotoBasics. While in photo effects folder if I open the drop shadows folder I can see all of the .atn, .xml, .png, .jpg files. In the photo basics folder I can only see .atn files. That is my first question: should I be seeing other file extensions in photo basics folder? The second question is: why do I see neither folder in my effects drop down in PSE10? Both folders are in the effects folder but neither shows up in the program.

I deleted ThumbDatabase.db3 before installing either set of actions and PSE rebuilt. Very complicated questions. Hoping for a very simple answer. :justthinkingabout it: :hit-head-with-hammer:

I don't have the Photo Basics actions you are referring to, so I'm not sure what files come with it. There are some actions that only come with .atn and .png files.

After you've correctly installed the actions in PSE, you need to delete the MediaDatabase.db3. Then restart PSE and allow the database to rebuild.

In PSE 9 on Vista/Windows 7 the path is: C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0 > Locale > en_us. (I think the path is probably the same for PSE 10)

With PSE 9 I always delete both the MediaDatabase.db3 and ThumbDatabase.db3 (to ensure the thumbnail images show up correctly).

For the ThumbDatabase.db3 in PSE 9 on Vista/Windows 7 the path is C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0

Thank you. I was not deleting the Media..... file.

When I install should I install the individual files rather than the folder? Could that be part of my problem?

Thank you. I was not deleting the Media..... file.

When I install should I install the individual files rather than the folder? Could that be part of my problem?

Yes, you want to copy/paste the individual files.

After they are copied to the appropriate location, then delete the MediaDatabase.db3 and ThumbDatabase.db3, re-start PSE and allow it to rebuild. HTH

Thanks for all the help. Would have given up on this whole digi-scrapping thing had I not had such help as I'm learning.

I am concerned about another file of actions I found that I hadn't installed (because I was afraid to). There are at least 30 individual files, (.atn, .xml, .png, .jpg) covering several actions. Is this too many to load into my program. Is it better to access them another way.

You're right - it's very confusing.

Thanks for all the help. Would have given up on this whole digi-scrapping thing had I not had such help as I'm learning.

I am concerned about another file of actions I found that I hadn't installed (because I was afraid to). There are at least 30 individual files, (.atn, .xml, .png, .jpg) covering several actions. Is this too many to load into my program. Is it better to access them another way.

You're right - it's very confusing.

I know it seems really confusing at first, but after you've done them a few times it really gets pretty easy as long as you copy the files to the correct locations.

First, you will want to check the instructions that came with the actions that you purchased. You will need to install the ATN, PNG and any PAT files that came with your actions.

You can install several at a time if you want. Just copy/paste the files to the appropriate folders according to the instructions that came with the actions.

Note: In PSE 9 The ATN and PNG files go here: C:>Program Data>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>9.0>Photo Creations>Photo Effects

In PSE 9 the PAT files go here: C:>Program Files(x86)>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 9>Presets>Patterns

I'm guessing for PSE 10 the paths should be similar HTH

It's not very practical to add styles and actions, only when you need them, because you have to rebuild the database each time you add one.

The more styles and actions you have the slower PSE will start up and eventually run. I think there is a limit to how many you can add, but it's a lot. Some of us over a hundred styles and actions, and have no issues.

Thanks for all the help. Good to know that I can add a lot. 'Cause I did. Was amazed at the number of styles I had bought and never installed (or installed incorrectly) and never used because I was clueless. Got them installed yesterday and then played ALLLLL afternoon. What a blast!

Thanks for all the help. Good to know that I can add a lot. 'Cause I did. Was amazed at the number of styles I had bought and never installed (or installed incorrectly) and never used because I was clueless. Got them installed yesterday and then played ALLLLL afternoon. What a blast!

Glad to hear you got them correctly installed! Styles and actions can be sooooo much fun - enjoy! :)

Archived