Question For Pen & Tablet Users

diannecp

I'm giving the tablet thing another try. I'm curious, how was the learning curve for those of you who use one regularly? How did you get the hang of it? Do you attempt to use it like a mouse? I use my mouse with my left-hand, but I am right-handed (and therefore the pen makes sense in my right hand). I'm finding myself trying to alternate between pen use and mousing around - very frustrating. But then I can't seem to get the hang of it as a mouse/selection tool.

I'm sure it's just going to take time but any suggestions would be welcome! ;)

I'm used to using the track pad on my laptop, as well as a mouse, as well as the tablet + pen (that also acts as a touch pad). The only thing I'm not really comfortable with using the pen is the right-click. The left click you can do using a specific tap but the right requires using the acutal button on the pen and I just don't hold it that way. That said, I agree with April, if you go exclusively to the tablet + pen, you'll get comfy with it and be able to switch at will. Like all things, just takes practice!

I use my tablet and pen exclusively. Using it as a mouse actually came easier than the drawing/writing. I've found, with my joint issues, the pen and tablet put less strain on my hands than the mouse (or laptop track-pad) do. I've also personalized the buttons and clicks to work around some of the awkward clicks.

I put my mouse away and practiced using my pen and tablet exclusively. It took about 3 days until I really liked it and felt natural with it. Now, I cannot imagine using anything else. I use my pen for everything -- I don't even know where my mouse is! :)

I use both. I never got the hang of using the pen exclusively. It is definitely helpful to have the buttons on the tablet and pen set up for your specific uses. I love that I just have to push one button on my tablet to save whatever I'm working on. I tend to save more often that way.

Hi Dianne,

I switched from desktop to desktop with tablet to laptop with tablet... I find it easiest to use both... I use my tablet and pen for blending/erasing/extracting etc and sometimes like a mouse if I am doing basic stuff but I cannot remember what all the buttons are for so I use my laptop tracker as well... I am the opposite of you, tablet left hand and laptop tracker/'mouse' in my right... Not having to swap hands makes it really easy and natural for me to use both... Enjoy!!

I sometimes use my mouse but mostly the pen and tablet. Did take a few days to get used to but I love it.... definitely eases the pain I have due to a pinched nerve in my upper spine.

I like the short cuts I have set up for the pen when using Photoshop.

LOVE my pen and tablet, saved my tennis elbow!

I never thought I would be able to take to a pen and tablet, having used a mouse for over 20 odd years (!) but I took to it almost immediately. I only use my mouse for scrolling now.

just practice until it feels so comfortable for you that you forget the mouse even exists, LOL

I even have a tablet and mouse at work now and just love it, but you already knew that, tee hee

Ohh, this makes me want to have a tablet, I'd never thought about using one for scrapbooking. I bought one for my husband's birthday a year ago and he doesn't really use it so I wonder if he would notice if I 'borrowed' it.... or should I put it on my birthday / Christmas wish list?

I bet solitaire would be good for practicing! I also only use the pen now. I find it is much kinder and gentler on the wrist then a mouse, and now that I'm used to it I can't imagine using a mouse! Whenever someone has to use my computer and are not comfortable with the tablet, I tell them to keep hovering. I think people naturally want to put the pen to the pad, but you need to hover and "tap" to click (at least with my tablet I do).

So remember, hover!

I can't remember who once said that they practiced by playing solitaire with the pen. It was in another forum. I would love to get a tablet.

Belle, you're right. At the retirement village that my grandparents moved to, solitaire is the first thing that they teach the residents to play in computer class. It's great for learning how to control the mouse. That kind of hand-eye coordination is not necessarily intuitive.

Ohh, this makes me want to have a tablet, I'd never thought about using one for scrapbooking. I bought one for my husband's birthday a year ago and he doesn't really use it so I wonder if he would notice if I 'borrowed' it.... or should I put it on my birthday / Christmas wish list?

Kate, I say "borrow" it. Either he won't notice and you'll get to keep it, or he will notice and it will be incentive to buy one for you, too. ;)

Put the mouse away for a week. Play games. I was one of those who picked up the pen and never looked back. I do use a mouse with the computer at work....ugh! I also use the touchpad on my laptop for simple navigation, but really, for fine work and games, I use the pen. I set my buttons on the pen up so the right click on is on the bottom, easy to use. and I've set up the buttons for the operations I use the most....back, forward, save as, and new document. On my intuos, I have two more buttons, but I don't remember how I set them up....LOL. I obviously don't use them. When you use the pen you are using fine muscles and with the mouse, larger muscles.

Henry just walked in and put an new Bamboo Pen & Touch tablet down on the table for me. I was getting all ready to try and convince him I really needed one. Ain't he just the greatest?

Oh Belle, aren't you just the spoilt one??????? That Henry is an absolute gem. Have fun. Kay

Henry just walked in and put an new Bamboo Pen & Touch tablet down on the table for me. I was getting all ready to try and convince him I really needed one. Ain't he just the greatest?

Belle (squeal with delight)!!!! You are so lucky! Enjoy!

Just have to chime in here -- I love my pen and tablet, and used it exclusively until I went on vacation and came back to find one of my kiddos had lost my pen! So now I'm back to a mouse until I can either comb the house and find it or convince the hubby I need a new one. ;) (Of course, I know the minute I buy a new one the old one will miraculously turn up!)

That being said, it did take a while for me to get completely comfortable using it, but putting away the mouse completely really did help. That's what I would suggest too.

Archived