Keeping Track Of Techniques

diannecp

I am so tired of doing things that I really like, then not being able to replicate it b/c I can't remember what I did!! Sometimes I do the embellishments in another window and don't save that; I just incorporate it into my main layout. So I decided to start including a techniques slide in my layouts so I can record the steps I used to create things. ;) I hope this helps - haha. Just thought I'd share. I'm sure others have ideas along these lines too.

I do something similar using the Notes tool.

ooh what's the Notes tool? not familiar with that.oh, forget it - i see it. never thought to see what else was in the eyedropper tool!

ooh what's the Notes tool? not familiar with that.oh, forget it - i see it. never thought to see what else was in the eyedropper tool!

I use CS5, so I'm not sure if it's in the other versions, but it's found under the eyedropper tool. Once selected, you can put a yellow sticky note anywhere on the workspace. I usually place it off of the actual LO, in the gray area. If it doesn't automatically open, you can find the Notes palette under the Windows menu; that's where you type the actual note.

I also use the notes tool to remind myself about what I was planning to do in a particular area or to keep a list of fonts that I like as I'm trying to decide which one to use.

I am so tired of doing things that I really like, then not being able to replicate it b/c I can't remember what I did!! Sometimes I do the embellishments in another window and don't save that; I just incorporate it into my main layout. So I decided to start including a techniques slide in my layouts so I can record the steps I used to create things. ;) I hope this helps - haha. Just thought I'd share. I'm sure others have ideas along these lines too.

Please do tell how you are including a recorded slide in your layouts? I guess I should ask if you use PSE first? I also read about the Notes Tool under the Eyedropper Tool. I never noticed this before but than again, I was never actually looking for it. I do not have access to PSE right at this moment. Could you please tell me if this is included with PSE9?

Thanks for any help.

I use CS5, so I'm not sure if it's in the other versions, but it's found under the eyedropper tool. Once selected, you can put a yellow sticky note anywhere on the workspace. I usually place it off of the actual LO, in the gray area. If it doesn't automatically open, you can find the Notes palette under the Windows menu; that's where you type the actual note.

I also use the notes tool to remind myself about what I was planning to do in a particular area or to keep a list of fonts that I like as I'm trying to decide which one to use.

Please do tell how you are including a recorded slide in your layouts? I guess I should ask if you use PSE first? I also read about the Notes Tool under the Eyedropper Tool. I never noticed this before but than again, I was never actually looking for it. I do not have access to PSE right at this moment. Could you please tell me if this is included with PSE9?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Patty, I'm not sure what Dianne means by adding a slide, but I do know PSE 9 does not have the Notes Tool that Monica is referring to. In her post she mentions that she has CS5, so I'm guessing it's a Photoshop tool and not available to us PSE users. HTH

I am going to check out this "notes" ability... sounds a great idea to keep a record of things.

The notes tool is also available in CS4. It's an interesting tool, but a little strange. It puts little note symbols on your layout. They're numbered, but the numbers do NOT show on the symbols. They do not print when you save a JPG from it. Off on the side it opens a "Notepad", and the numbered notes are independent; you use the left and right arrows at the bottom of the palette window to go from one note to the other, or click on the note of interest and it shows in the side palette.

These have possibilities, once I figure out the quirks. Thanks for commenting on them, Dianne, as I'd never spent any time exploring them before now.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Patty, I'm not sure what Dianne means by adding a slide, but I do know PSE 9 does not have the Notes Tool that Monica is referring to. In her post she mentions that she has CS5, so I'm guessing it's a Photoshop tool and not available to us PSE users. HTH

Thanks for letting me know Theresa, appreciate it. It's a bummer though, sounds like it could be helpful.

Patty, I think what Dianne was referring to is a layer with a giant text box that she makes notes in and then turns off before she prints her layout.

Thanks for clearing that up Monica. I think others were also confused about what Dianne was referring to.

This is such an interesting thread and I will go back again and reread as I haven't used the notes feature before. I tend to keep written steps in my Notes Plus app on my iPad. It is great for drawing / typing and easy to use when I am in front of my computer. Thanks for all the great tips and tricks.

For anyone interested, there is also a "Notes" function in the gallery. After you've posted a layout, at the top of the layout there is an icon for "Add A Note". Click on it and you can add your note and place it where you want on the page. It won't be visible until you mouse over it. After you've added your note, when you first mouse over the layout, an empty box will show up on the page, then when you mouse over the the box, the note shows up. The box will disappear again after you move the mouse away from the page. I especially like it for things like adding font names (which I often forget to put in the EXIF properties) I think it's great for simple things like font names and reminders such as blending modes, filters, etc. Here are two examples: August ATC and Wonderful World

• 3 months later...

Archived