Carbonite Or Mozy

(lynn)

Many years ago when I discovered ScrapGirls, you were advertising both Mozy and Carbonite. Now I only see Mozy in your ads.

I still use Carbonite but should I switch to Mozy--and why?

Twice I had to have everything replaced- with Carbonite- and I got it all back . So I've been happy with them.

Please help me decide which might be the best. I use a Mac.

Thanks.

mrh (Lynn)

i have all my stuff on ehd and i think carbonite doesnt back up ehd.... at least they didnt used to ... i had mozy and liked it but prices got too expensive...i use backblaze and am very happy

I have been wondering which company to go with also. There was a forum discussion a while back but I know that a lot of members seemed to be deciding to leave Mozy because of the price increases. So I really need to make a decision and just go with it. I will back up on EHD also. So I need a company that will backup EHD and also entire PC. I have been told by a few people now that I should give Backblaze a try, they are very happy with it also like Bobby has mentioned. Thanks for asking the question again. Now I don't use a MAC but I don't think that matters. Hopefully someone will come along and clarify that for us.

Many years ago when I discovered ScrapGirls, you were advertising both Mozy and Carbonite. Now I only see Mozy in your ads.

I still use Carbonite but should I switch to Mozy--and why?

Twice I had to have everything replaced- with Carbonite- and I got it all back . So I've been happy with them.

Please help me decide which might be the best. I use a Mac.

Thanks.

mrh (Lynn)

Did you have your entire computer backed up with Carbonite when you needed to have everything replaced and did it cost extra? I have heard good things about Caronite also but I need to know that they also backup EHD. I have also heard though to look at what is involved when the company you do decide to go with has to do an entire replace of PC/EHDs; I have heard that it can cost a lot of money.

i use backblaze and am very happy

I haven't heard of backblaze before, it looks very interesting. Plus they appear to have a UK version, although it is still priced in dollars and the sign up page is the same...??? Anyway, how intensive is it when you do your first backup?

I currently back up my files to the ehd where my scrapping files are stored. Then this is backed up to a desktop computer every week; in theory both computers need to be on and my hard drive attached. This sounds like it maybe set up and ignore.

i use backblaze and am very happy

I haven't heard of backblaze before, it looks very interesting. Plus they appear to have a UK version, although it is still priced in dollars and the sign up page is the same...??? Anyway, how intensive is it when you do your first backup?

I currently back up my files to the ehd where my scrapping files are stored. Then this is backed up to a desktop computer every week; in theory both computers need to be on and my hard drive attached. This sounds like it maybe set up and ignore.

Once the initial back up has finished, you don't notice it's there. However the initial back up can take weeks if you have a lot to back up, the longer the computer is on the quicker it will go.

I have had backblaze for quite awhile now. I chose them because at the time they were the only ones that backed up you EHD's. And since I have 3 hooked up to my computer at all times it worth the $5 I pay a month. I have a 1 TB hard drive and one of my EHD's is 1 TB, so it did take weeks for my initial backup, but now anything I put on new is backed up in not time really.

Carbonite does do EHD now but not for Mac. But they do have some Mac plans. I got some 3 yr deal with them; that seems to be the way to keep the pricing down.

I have used Carbonite for years, both for my personal computer and my server at work. I'm really happy with my decision. I've had to restore my data on my home computer twice. The most recent restoration, when I had significantly more data than the first time, took just a few hours. The sales personnel are very helpful in describing the various options Carbonite offers. I also signed up for the three year package to get the best price break.

i believe backblaze sends you your stuff should you need it on an ehd if you have a lot of stuff..which i do....i take my ehd with me for several days when i go to babysit dgs... and it is fine to unplug and then plug back in when i get home...in the beginning it does take a while for the initial backup but it doesnt interfere with using your computer

I used to have Carbonite, but had problems with them and their pricing for ehd's. I then went to Mozy, but they got way too expensive. I now use Backblaze and I am very happy with them. The initial backup took a long time, but now it backs up without my even knowing that it is doing so. I pay $5 a month and I feel safe now that I have an off-site backup being done. I'm in the market for a 1TB (or larger) EHD and a new computer. Both of mine are starting to act up. I have a laptop that I can use, if anything happens to my desk top.

I'm using Backblaze now too. Used Carbonite but had a horrible time with a full back up the second time I needed it. Switched to Mozy until they changed their pricing structure and it was just too expensive. Since I've had Backblaze, I've had occasion to retrieve just a few files and that went well. It looks like if you need a full retrieval, getting it on an EHD would be the smartest way to go and that does cost extra, but I think it would be worth it since their yearly cost is relatively low.

It seems Backblaze is the service of choice. I am very very tempted and I've discovered that my ISP offers free bandwidth between midnight and 8am so I could just leave my computer on for a few days and won't have to pay anything extra.

I was up in the air between Carbonite and Backblaze but I believe that I have finally make my decision to go with Backblaze. Thanks to everyone for your input, it really helps when trying to make such a decision that we will feel comfortable and secure about. I know that I constantly worry about losing everything. Many have told me that a backup EHD would be just fine. But I see many others do not believe that this is enough.

Thanks,

It seems Backblaze is the service of choice. I am very very tempted and I've discovered that my ISP offers free bandwidth between midnight and 8am so I could just leave my computer on for a few days and won't have to pay anything extra.

I was up in the air between Carbonite and Backblaze but I believe that I have finally make my decision to go with Backblaze. Thanks to everyone for your input, it really helps when trying to make such a decision that we will feel comfortable and secure about. I know that I constantly worry about losing everything. Many have told me that a backup EHD would be just fine. But I see many others do not believe that this is enough.

Thanks,

Using an EHD is not enough. It is afterall a hard drive, and we all know that sooner or later hard drives stop working. So better be safe than sorry and have your computers backed up off site. So if disaster strikes, you have a copy safely stored off site.

• 3 weeks later...

I thank all of you for your insight on whether you use Backblaze, Mozy or Carbonite. I never heard of Backblaze so I will check into that one. I appreciate your answering and now will ponder which one to use.

Have a great day everyone.

mrh (Lynn)

Archived