Ss Emb Template Rafia Fun Question

ScrapGram

I just tried to use the SS Embellishment templates Rafia Fun which were included in the October 2011 SS Club. I have used some of them before and didn't have a problem, but several of the ones I tried to use today had the same problem. It is the flower, star, and starburst templates. They are PSD files and on some of the layers there is a little folder, the words Group 1 (or Group 2 or Group 3), and an icon that I have never seen before. It looks like a crayon with a strike-thru. When I hover over it, it says non-editable adjustment. When I try to add a color layer and clip it to that part of the embellishment, nothing happens. I can color all the other layers, just can't color the layers with the weird info. Anyone know what I need to do to make these layers functional? Alao, if I try to use the magic want to select and color that way, a window comes up that says "Cannot use the Magic Wand because the pixels in a layer set cannot be edited without simplifying the set. Click ok to simplify the set." When I do that, I get marching ants around the transparent background and I still can't color the layer. Thanks for your help.

Angie can notify the designer. I made this error once. PSE doesn't use Grouped Folders, like you can in CS versions of Photoshop. Maybe the newer versions do, I'm not sure. Those layers need to be ungrouped for you. You aren't doing anything wrong. ;)

Angie can notify the designer. I made this error once. PSE doesn't use Grouped Folders, like you can in CS versions of Photoshop. Maybe the newer versions do, I'm not sure. Those layers need to be ungrouped for you. You aren't doing anything wrong. ;)

Thanks Brandy. I use PSE 10 so the Grouped Folders must not work in PSE. Should I let Angie know?

Thanks Brandy. I use PSE 10 so the Grouped Folders must not work in PSE. Should I let Angie know?

Great to know Brandy. Yes you should let Angie know!

Yes let her know, it will help other PSE users too. It's a quick fix for the designer to do and you can then re-download the file.

Wlll do. Thanks a bunch!

Did you hear back about this issue? I use PSE9 so the way it sounds, it will need to be re-downloaded for all PSE users that had gotten the SS Club that you are referring to and I know that I happen to be one of them. Please let me know.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Yes let her know, it will help other PSE users too. It's a quick fix for the designer to do and you can then re-download the file.

Brandy,

I haven't used this product yet but I do have it. I seen this post and have posted to find out what Angie said and waited to hear something back but didn't get a reply so I sent an email to Angie myself.

She replied back letting me know that no one contacted her regarding this issue so she was unaware.

She said the issue is that it's a retired item and the designer is no longer with us, so the item isn't in our store to be re-downloaded.

She suggested the following:

If you are using PSE and can't use the groups, you'll have to take the png files and create your own psd. The easiest way to do it is open up all the png's for one of the files. Then hold down the shift and drag each png file so they are all layered together on one, then save as a psd file.

I was going to reply to Angie with the following questions but figured I'd just ask them here.

So, some of the embellishments may only have like 3 png files and while others have more. I think there are 8 individual embellishments files, each with their own psd file and png files. Do I need to open PSE, open one of the 8 embellishments folders, and just copy the png files over to PSE? Will they automatically create the full embellishment that I just save as a psd? Do I need to open a new 12x12 document before I move the png files over? Once I save the new psd file; just replace the original one with the new one I created? I would just need to do this exactly the same for each 8 embellishment files?

Thanks,

Does anything happen if you right click on the group folder?

I can right click on the folders and get the normal drop down list that I would get with any other folder. I'm thinking you are trying to ask something else though that I am not understanding...sorry.

Brandy,

I haven't used this product yet but I do have it. I seen this post and have posted to find out what Angie said and waited to hear something back but didn't get a reply so I sent an email to Angie myself.

She replied back letting me know that no one contacted her regarding this issue so she was unaware.

She said the issue is that it's a retired item and the designer is no longer with us, so the item isn't in our store to be re-downloaded.

If you are using PSE and can't use the groups, you'll have to take the png files and create your own psd. The easiest way to do it is open up all the png's for one of the files. Then hold down the shift and drag each png file so they are all layered together on one, then save as a psd file.

I was going to reply to Angie with the following questions but figured I'd just ask them here.

So, some of the embellishments may only have like 3 png files and while others have more. I think there are 8 individual embellishments files, each with their own psd file and png files. Do I need to open PSE, open one of the 8 embellishments folders, and just copy the png files over to PSE? Will they automatically create the full embellishment that I just save as a psd? Do I need to open a new 12x12 document before I move the png files over? Once I save the new psd file; just replace the original one with the new one I created? I would just need to do this exactly the same for each 8 embellishment files?

Thanks,

Open all the PNG files in PSE. Goto the one that should be the bottom layer, then hold down the shift key and drag the others on top of it in order (the png files should be numbered or have letters indicating the order) Holding down the shift key should put them in to the correct placement so you don't have to guess. Once you have them all together then save it as a PSD file. I hope that makes sense!

Brandy,

Thanks,

Open all the PNG files in PSE. Goto the one that should be the bottom layer, then hold down the shift key and drag the others on top of it in order (the png files should be numbered or have letters indicating the order) Holding down the shift key should put them in to the correct placement so you don't have to guess. Once you have them all together then save it as a PSD file. I hope that makes sense!

Brandy,

The png files are not numbered, don't have letters, no way to indicate the order.

Do you just start with the first one listed (assume it should be the bottom layer) and just put the next one listed on top of that and so on? That doesn't seem to be a good idea but thought I would ask.

I am confused about having the png files indicating an order verses holding down the shift key. You stated to start with the bottom layer and I don't know if this is the first letter or last letter included with the entire file and build up to the top, again I don't know if this should be the last letter used or if "A" should end up on top. So if the png files are using a method to indicate the order to place them; bottom layer and just put the next one on top, etc using that particular order; why would you need to hold down the shift key? You said to go to the bottom layer. What do I do with that? You didn't really say to build them up one by one on top of each other in order. You said to hold down shift key and drag in order but you also said holding down the shift key will just put them in the correct order. So that whole statement is confusing me.

I just can't seem to understand and figure this out.

Patty

I can right click on the folders and get the normal drop down list that I would get with any other folder. I'm thinking you are trying to ask something else though that I am not understanding...sorry.

When you right click on the group folder, do you get the option to "Ungroup Folder"? If yes, try selecting the "Ungroup Folder" Hopefully, this will release the items in that folder to their individual layers. I hope this works!!

I am going to try and get hold of these tomorrow. Sorry I was late in answering you Patty, I was at school all day learning Dutch, oooh yeah fun for me! (smile). I want to see what you are seeing. Then I can give you a good answer.

Kimberly I think (not sure) but the problem is that there isn't a group layers option in PSE like there is on CS versions. In earlier versions of PSE it was just a locked folder. You could see it, but not edit it. So we are going to show these lovely ladies how to build the psd file from the pngs, I just need to see what we are working with.

:)

I am going to try and get hold of these tomorrow. Sorry I was late in answering you Patty, I was at school all day learning Dutch, oooh yeah fun for me! (smile). I want to see what you are seeing. Then I can give you a good answer.

Kimberly I think (not sure) but the problem is that there isn't a group layers option in PSE like there is on CS versions. In earlier versions of PSE it was just a locked folder. You could see it, but not edit it. So we are going to show these lovely ladies how to build the psd file from the pngs, I just need to see what we are working with.

Thanks again for your help Brandy :) I look forward to hearing back from you.

When you right click on the group folder, do you get the option to "Ungroup Folder"? If yes, try selecting the "Ungroup Folder" Hopefully, this will release the items in that folder to their individual layers. I hope this works!!

Kimberly,

When I right click on any of the group folders, "Ungroup Folder" is not listed as an option :(

Thanks,

Patty

OK I got a chance tot look at it and you are right, there isn't any lettering or numbering. Many of them don't really need an order except making sure the shadowing in underneath and the accents are on top. I know those flower files look intimidating with all the layers, but really once you pile them on top of each other, you get it. But just so you know for future reference...... Almost all of us here at SG use a lettering or numbering order. With A or 1 being at the bottom of the layers.

Using the shift key: You should use this method when using Photoshop Programs that have layered parts. You start with one layer (Layer A or Layer 1) open layer B or Layer 2 so that you can see both windows. Hold down the shift key and drag the layer from the layers palette of B into Layer A's window. It should fall right in place so that you don't have to guess the correct placement. Gosh I hope that makes sense.

Anyway..good luck ladies!

OK I got a chance tot look at it and you are right, there isn't any lettering or numbering. Many of them don't really need an order except making sure the shadowing in underneath and the accents are on top. I know those flower files look intimidating with all the layers, but really once you pile them on top of each other, you get it. But just so you know for future reference...... Almost all of us here at SG use a lettering or numbering order. With A or 1 being at the bottom of the layers.

Using the shift key: You should use this method when using Photoshop Programs that have layered parts. You start with one layer (Layer A or Layer 1) open layer B or Layer 2 so that you can see both windows. Hold down the shift key and drag the layer from the layers palette of B into Layer A's window. It should fall right in place so that you don't have to guess the correct placement. Gosh I hope that makes sense.

Anyway..good luck ladies!

Thanks so much for looking into this for us Brandy, I know you are super busy. If I remember correctly from the first post regarding this product, not all of the PSD files are locked. So I will find the ones that are and just go for it; using the shift key and layering the png files by dragging them one by one, on top of eachother (making sure to put the shadowing underneath) and hope they all fall into place correctly. I will play around with them and I'm sure I'll get it figured out sooner or later. I'm not in a big hurry. The important thing is I will know now if I happen to run into this issue again. Plus this will be an issue with all PSE users. So hopefully this will help them out as well.

Thanks again,

Archived