Is It Possible To Group Scrap Girl Actions And Styles In Pse?

Kate Davis

I'm using Photoshop Elements 7 and have installed several actions and styles, however when I go into Effects>All menu the scrap girl items are spread through out the standard PSE effects and I find it hard to find the Scrap Girl ones. Is it possible to change the order of the effects menu or to group the scrap girl ones in some way?

I use PSE10, but I believe it's the same in all versions. The styles are listed in alphabetical order according to the Designers initials. So any BMU Styles would be listed before Glass Buttons, which is a PSE style.

Hope that helps.

I use PSE10, but I believe it's the same in all versions. The styles are listed in alphabetical order according to the Designers initials. So any BMU Styles would be listed before Glass Buttons, which is a PSE style.

Hope that helps.

Is it the same in PSE 11 also, Carol?

Hope that helps.

Is it the same in PSE 11 also, Carol?

Just checked PSE11 and it is the same. All styles are in Alpha order.

There may be way to force grouping them by playing with the file names.

I wondered that. If I renamed all the files so I put an x in front of them, is that likely to cause any issues? They would then all appear at the bottom (or near the bottom of the list)

Check out Barbara's tutorial here. It's a little more complicated than I remembered.

Oh wow. That is so much better than I'd expected. I was hoping to get them all grouped under the All menu, but to create a Scrap Girl menu would be great. Not sure when I'll find the time to give it a go though; hopefully next weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I've done it. I spent most of yesterday in bed with a high temperature and thought this was a good activity to do. It is actually very easy as it is mostly copying and pasting.

For styles I followed this advice.

• copied a existing .xml file
  • changed the line Barbara mentions to <category value="$/content/category/type/0Downloads=0Downloads" />
  • copied the name of the .asl file and pasted it in to the name of the .xml file making sure to leave the .metadata
  • copied this file for each style I have and renamed each one as above so I have .xml file for each .asl file

Actions were more long winded, but took a similar approach. I followed this advice

• copied an existing .xml file
  • changed the line name value to the action name (before = without space and after with spaces) e.g. <name value="$$$/content/photoeffects/MRE_PhotoBasics_SmartGlow=MRE PhotoBasics SmartGlow" />
  • changed the line category value with the name of the category <category value="$$$/content/category/type/0Downloads=0Downloads" />
  • copied the name of the .atn file and pasted it into the .xml file making sure to leave .metadata
  • copied this file for each action
  • For each action renamed the .xml file as above and changed the name value line with the action name before and after the =

When that was all done, I 'deleted' my MediaDatabase file and reopened PSE Editor and this is what I've now got

post-23568-0-33460200-1351502412_thumb.jpg

I've been so excited because after all these years, I just figured out you can right click on a style thumbnail and see the name! Grouping will have to wait till things settle down a little...along with a long list of other things in that category. :)

Good job Kate! It takes a while but it sure is worth it. Don't forget to do this with every new style and action you add.

It was new to me how to do the same (or almost) with the actions. It's now on my to-do list, thanks for the info!

Yes, I have to remember every time I buy new ones. At least I know where to come if I need a reminder on how to do it. Once I'd done my styles I realised I actually had more actions so had to work out how to do it for them as well otherwise I think it would have been better to have just renamed them all so they appeared together in the All screen.

Archived